closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: View on Ti watches.............

View on Ti watches.............

It took me a while to warm to Titanium watches and in the past I always chose the steel equivalent. IWC has actually changed that perception for me and I have really warmed to them in recent years. I had a Ti aquatimer and most recently this Ti AMG Ingenieur and both have really impressed. In this hot weather nothing beats a Ti watch IMHO and I have now come to the conclusion that at least one Ti watch in the collection is a must.
    Anyone else share this view?

Re: View on Ti watches.............

I love them and have three;light to wear, but can still look the business

A Cheap MM on a Toshi

An Ocean 7 LM-2

and my favourite the IWC 3536

Master

Hi Steve

Absolutely agree with you here 8)

Here is my new arrival

And my other Ti watch i have at the Moment

Cheers
    Martin

I've only ever had a couple of Ti watches to try on (not mine). I've struggled a bit because of their light weight and the feeling of something which feels, quite wrongly, cheaper. I suppose I'm used to the weight of my SMP or big divers watches. My brother recently bought a huge Oris diver in Ti and when I tried it on couldn't believe how light it was :) I suppose as you own one you get used to them in time and to go back to heavy steel is the same probably :roll:

Rod

Titanium rocks!

Mostly I prefer the weight and heft of steel, but I've just got this Breitling because I'd become curious about trying titanium again:

In a watch this size, the titanium still has enough weight for me, and in fact makes it much more wearable. I think the weight is about comparable with my Superocean, nice and comfy. I have found that I prefer it on a strap to the bracelet, but that's mainly because it seems to sit better on my wrist that way.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Last Ti watch posted out this morning :(

but I do like them :D
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Quote Originally Posted by Rod
    I've only ever had a couple of Ti watches to try on (not mine). I've struggled a bit because of their light weight and the feeling of something which feels, quite wrongly, cheaper. I suppose I'm used to the weight of my SMP or big divers watches. My brother recently bought a huge Oris diver in Ti and when I tried it on couldn't believe how light it was :) I suppose as you own one you get used to them in time and to go back to heavy steel is the same probably :roll:

Rod
    Same for me Rod.............but then why have I got a WTB posted for a Pricista Titan :roll:

I've only ever had a couple of Ti watches to try on (not mine). I've struggled a bit because of their light weight and the feeling of something which feels, quite wrongly, cheaper. I suppose I'm used to the weight of my SMP or big divers watches.
    Rod
    They felt cheaper to me too, but then I discovered that perception ceased when I ditched the Ti bracelet!

So for me the best of both worlds is to have a Ti watch on a strap.

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Master

I' m still not decided on the issue of Ti watches. My one and only (so far) titanium cased watch was a Seiko Atlas (I think I bought it from this forum), great looking watch, very nicely built BUT it was the difference between what I could see was a big watch, and how it felt on the wrist. And that I couldn't get used to.

Having said that it the only Ti watch I tried, and I can not really base my opinion on just that one watch. I' m actually now thinking of getting a Seiko Ti Samurai to see how that feels.

:)

VA

Blog Entries

Steve

Got to agree about Ti watches especially on the big boys,

Martin

I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Last Ti watch I had was this one.

Loved it - would have been a bit to much in steel I think!!

When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Craftsman

I totally agree with that "cheap" feeling that Ti initially has. It has kept me away from great Ti watches until recently.
    I purchased a titanium Ocean7 LM-2 GMT SE, and I was quite put off by the weight initially. I took it on a trip to the Grand Canyon, and put it through its paces. It did beautifully, not a scratch on it, and I was hooked.
    Purchased a matching Ti bracelet, and I really like the package. I think the trick for me is to choose the larger Ti watches, as they have a bit more weight to them. I've discovered that I don't really like a huge, heavy steel watch for daily wearing

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ralphy
    I've only ever had a couple of Ti watches to try on (not mine). I've struggled a bit because of their light weight and the feeling of something which feels, quite wrongly, cheaper. I suppose I'm used to the weight of my SMP or big divers watches.
    Rod
    They felt cheaper to me too, but then I discovered that perception ceased when I ditched the Ti bracelet!

So for me the best of both worlds is to have a Ti watch on a strap.

R
    Agreed wholeheartedly!

So far my only Ti watches have been Citizens. I wish that more of the "affordable" brands offered Ti versions. I realise that Ti is more expensive and the comparable model might cost more, but well worth it for the summer months. I notice that, when hot and sweaty, steel makes a sour unpleasant smell on my wrist while feeling sticky, hot, and heavy. Ti doesn't cause any of this.

Craftsman

Interesting question. Next week I'll know the answer for me as I have a 44 mm GP Seahawk Pro 3000 on titanium bracelet coming in. I am hoping that the sheer size of that monster will create enough weight, and that being titanium will keep it from having Super Avenger type weight which I found to be too heavy for daily wear.

The debate I'm having with myself is whether to leave the titanium in the dull, brushed, finish that it comes with, or shine it up considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Arrow
    The debate I'm having with myself is whether to leave the titanium in the dull, brushed, finish that it comes with, or shine it up considerably.
    If you want to kill the resale value I think shining it is a sure way to accomplish that :roll:

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by JCJM
    If you want to kill the resale value I think shining it is a sure way to accomplish that :roll:

But I'm NEVER going to sell it.......... :roll: Point taken, actually.

[quote=Green Arrow]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Green Arrow":wz4w8w8y

But I'm NEVER going to sell it.......... :roll: Point taken, actually.[/quote:wz4w8w8y]

Sure :lol:

(maybe you really do mean it, in that case I apologize :blackeye: )

Hi

I've had three Ti watches: Citizen Promaster, Tutima Di 300 and the Seiko Stingray. They have all worn very well and never felt "light". I do think it matters what the bracelet / strap the Ti watch comes on.

Thanks
    deano

Grand Master

Was never a fan of titanium watches, but was smitten by a CA (now flipped) whilst I owned it I enjoyed the feel of it on my wrist. However, I still much prefer steel, hence the flipping of the CA.
    /vince ..

Craftsman

I have not push the trigger on any ti watch yet.

Frankly I am not sure to be ready for it, as I have kind of be used to wear big heavy SS watches.
    Lately I decided to buy a CA, but a visit to an AD made me change my mind, after I tried a Chrono Avenger M1.
    I was really disappointed about the feel of that one, too light, didn't really like the colour and the feel of the titanium.

I'll definitively have to get one as some pieces are starting to really tease me (IWC, ...)

Cheers,
    Phil

Anyone else felt that Ti has a 'soapy' feel to it? It feel soft but clearly isn't. I have several titanium watches, from an Ecozilla to an Aristo with an (I think) 2824-2 in it. Its bracelet has stamped links. They are solid ingots of Ti held together by clips. The whole think including sapphire crystal weighs almost nothing.

Interesting question. Next week I'll know the answer for me as I have a 44 mm GP Seahawk Pro 3000 on titanium bracelet coming in. I am hoping that the sheer size of that monster will create enough weight, and that being titanium will keep it from having Super Avenger type weight which I found to be too heavy for daily wear.

If there is one watch I regret selling it's my GP Sea-Hawk Pro 3000m. I took that beasty on a dive trip to the maldives in March of this year and it performed flawlessly. It looked equally cool under the sea or propping up the bar in shorts and a T-shirt. 8) It also has the best lume I have ever seen on any watch and is something of a bargain when you consider what they can be bought for pre-owned. You will love it I'm sure. I had the version with the polished titanium which i personnally prefer, but the version your getting also looks very good.

Master

I quite like TI watches, used to own this

now have this

The Seawolf is very wearable due to the lightness of the TI, and the 3536 is extremely comfortable.

Thomas

I love the stuff:
    My first

My latest

And one of several in between........

Quote Originally Posted by shalako
    It looked equally cool under the sea or propping up the bar in shorts and a T-shirt.

That must make it a dress watch then.

:wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Craftsman

[quote=JCJM]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Green Arrow":1bmzp7oa

But I'm NEVER going to sell it.......... :roll: Point taken, actually.
    Sure :lol:

(maybe you really do mean it, in that case I apologize :blackeye: )[/quote:1bmzp7oa]

Well, this is only the second one of this very same watch I've purchased this year........ so I was really posting tongue in cheek. Other than my two Rolex GMTs, the first which I kept for 24 years, and the second of which is finishing up its first year with me, I haven't held onto a SINGLE watch I've purchased. The fact that I'm coming back around to the Seahawk Pro II 3000 for a second time, and have decided that I like my watches on a bracelet, is encouraging. The fact that Vince thought the bracelet was crap (vjb.knife) and is a very credible poster, is not encouraging. It is my HOPE to finally have the three or four (if my Panerai doesn't sell) watches I "need" for the next many years, but flipping seems to be more my pattern. So........ no apologies needed, based on prior patterns.

The good side, in response to the original poster, is that the Titanium really works.

Quote Originally Posted by shalako
    It took me a while to warm to Titanium watches and in the past I always chose the steel equivalent. IWC has actually changed that perception for me and I have really warmed to them in recent years. I had a Ti aquatimer and most recently this Ti AMG Ingenieur and both have really impressed. In this hot weather nothing beats a Ti watch IMHO and I have now come to the conclusion that at least one Ti watch in the collection is a must.
    Anyone else share this view?
    agree 100%...i have a great love for Ti and a ti case & bracelet are ideal wearers for those hot, sticky muggy days.

IWC's made some of the best titanium watches on the market and i've long wished IWC would issues a Ti ingenieur with the same dial as the SS version.

some of my Ti watches:

[quote=Green Arrow]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Green Arrow":3kzrse8b

But I'm NEVER going to sell it.......... :roll: Point taken, actually.[/quote:3kzrse8b]

How many time have I......well you all know.

Leave as is IMO :)
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Titanium is gorgeous. I like the fact that it doesn't draw attention to itself, either in terms of weight or appearance. I have come to prefer the muted lustre of titanium to the more showy appeal of polished steel. I can't see any point in polishing titanium, unless to highlight a bevelled edge.

I can't quite see the appeal of a heavy watch either. It may seem to signal 'a lot of watch' on your wrist, but a watch should have deeper qualities than sheer mass. Anyway, in my experience, the weight of a watch is only really obvious when you first put it on. After that it becomes almost unnoticeable, unless it's loose enough to flop around.

These days I'm almost turned off some otherwise fanciable watch if I discover it only comes in steel.

I don't really mind the lightness of Ti........ if only it didn't look like grey plastic. :?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    I don't really mind the lightness of Ti........ if only it didn't look like grey plastic. :?

These don't look like grey plastic. :P

Master

I love it, a fantastic watch material imo. Very good for bicycle frames too...

Master

Couldn't agree more Neil, it's exactly what I think of when someone mentions Ti, a guy at work has a digi/ana Breitling and it looks like a piece of shite and feels lighter than a piece of paper, not for me I'm afraid......although some pics in this thread look quite good and not so 'plasticy' but I still prefer a weighty ss watch

Quote Originally Posted by vandice

These don't look like grey plastic. :P
    Don't Seiko and Citizen plate or coat the ti with something?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Seiko no. Citizen yes. The former uses a proprietary Ti alloy while the latter obtains a jewelry grade finish via PTIC Duratect treatment. The P refers to Platinum. It is either a) a form of direct IP plating or b) surface hardening of the Ti followed by IP plating. I'm guessing its b because of the Duratect label.

Sadly Neil, that's my wife's opinion on my Damasko's.

Worse still, once she'd said it I could see what she meant.

R

Seiko no. Citizen yes. The former uses a proprietary Ti alloy while the latter obtains a jewelry grade finish via PTIC Duratect treatment. The P refers to Platinum. It is either a) a form of direct IP plating or b) surface hardening of the Ti followed by IP plating. I'm guessing its b because of the Duratect label.

Thanks for the info Dicey. :)

Think I've seen you around somewhere else before?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

R
    I'll buy them off you Ralphy :wink:
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

R
    I've had that comment about my Damaskos as well. Don't mind, though!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Thanks for the info Dicey. :)

Think I've seen you around somewhere else before?
    Dicey! Haha. Mebbe I should use tt as my new nick. I like the sound of it.

Yeah, I've had my share on the other board. At some point, there were more escalators (masquerading as moderators) than I could stomach. Thankfully, those dark days are over.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottishtrunkmonkey

R
    I'll buy them off you Ralphy :wink:
    Vulture.

:wink:

R

Master

I had a Breitling CA and I really enjoyed
    the weight and feel of Ti.None in my collection
    now but hope to get one back in the nest soon

Cheers Lee

Master

What is this Citizen? I keep on seeing it around. At first I didn't like it but it's growing on me - it could be a funky beater assuming it's not ridiculously expensive.

I see it's a Promaster, but I can't find it on Citizen websites. Where does one get it from? How much? etc.

Cheers!

Mark

Here's one similar:
    http://tinyurl.com/67m4le
    and the actual item:
    http://tinyurl.com/6qxjda

Quote Originally Posted by mark a.
    What is this Citizen? I keep on seeing it around. At first I didn't like it but it's growing on me - it could be a funky beater assuming it's not ridiculously expensive.

I see it's a Promaster, but I can't find it on Citizen websites. Where does one get it from? How much? etc.

Cheers!

Mark
    Looks like a PMU56 2732. Out of production for a while now, and very hard to find. Expect to pay £300-£400 if you find one. The black version is PMU56-2731.

Ahem, skip up a post... :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Glamdring
    Ahem, skip up a post... :wink:
    The second eBay item looks like a black one, whereas the one in this thread looks blue. Unless it's the camera angle revealing the coated crystal and/or solar cell.

It does. Both of my Eco-Drives are blue/purple when viewed obliquely. Anyone interested would obviously have to ask the seller.