closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Brushed finish butterfly clasp - the new hen's teeth

Master

Brushed finish butterfly clasp - the new hen's teeth

As the title says really, I'm looking for a brushed finish butterfly clasp for my Bremont - not a polished or mirror finish. Anyway I can't find them for anything, so I call upon the collective pool of knowledge and ask

Does anybody know where I can find one?!

Also why are there no 18mm pvd butterfly clasps about either? Eddie's out of stock and so is everybody else? Is beck up the creek? Are beck the only people who make these?

Cheers, Chris

Re: Brushed finish butterfly clasp - the new hen's teeth

Stowa make one, but it's got the Stowa logo on it.

It's very easy to add a brushed finish to the visible part of a polished clasp. I do it so the grain runs against the direction of the strap, along the long axis of the "hoop" or U-section of the clasp (the visible part), because that way it can be easily repaired if you mar the finish (if the grain runs in the same direction as the strap, it's harder to repair so the lines all go in the same way).

My favorite method is to use flexible 2400 and then 3200 grain abrasive paper from MicroSurface, which yields a finish as if you used 1000- to 1200-grit sandpaper. This is great stuff, with the abrasive glued to a flexible fabric backing. I simply fold the paper in half, and rub it carefully, and straight, across the polished surface of the clasp until it looks right. Of course, the clasp should not be closed on the strap when you do this! You can use a Bergeon scratch brush to start the process if you like, or on sections that have compound curves or not easily reached, such as the sides.

To repair, just do it again until the problem disappears.

(You can use the same materials to repair a bracelet or case that has surface scratches.)

Master

Yeah I'd thought of doing it myself, but I'd rather buy it made that way tbh. If I have to DIY it though I will.