closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Dangerous game this golf... and expensive

Dangerous game this golf... and expensive

I’ve just enjoyed a jolly boys golf weekend away, every year 12 of us get together for a long weekend of golf, beers and a gold old catch up. The golf’s really just an excuse to make sure we meet up and have a good old social really but we all enjoy a bit of a knock and a few of us enjoy our watches as well, so it’s always a nice weekend, this was number 10 and number 11 is already in the pipeline.

We played 18 holes Friday and Saturday and a few of us decided to squeeze in a cheeky 12 before heading off home today.

On the last hole, me and two others were standing on the tee box waiting for the fairway to clear before we went off when we heard the familiar shout of FORE!

I naturally dipped my head and raised my hands up to my head, not expecting much to happen. In all the years I’ve been playing I’ve never had anyone I’ve known to be hit or injured... until the ball that was travelling on the receiving end of a 3 wood struck the handle of my driver that was up by the side of my head!

It fair took me by surprise but no harm done, it took a few seconds for me to realise that it had clean broken the shaft of the club clean in two.

So I will now be on the lookout for a new driver for next years tournament... along with some golfing insurance, if it had struck my head instead of the club, I’m pretty sure it would have done some damage to my fine looking bonce... as well as my wallet, it’s been a while since I had to fork out for new clubs and had kind of forgotten how expensive they were. I know that I could get a new shaft fitted to my old club but Mrs C doesn’t know that ;)

As an aside, it was good to see some nice watches actually being worn, whether swinging a club or enjoying a social. I can’t wear a watch when playing golf no matter what it is, just doesn’t feel comfortable but all the other guys wore whatever they had on for the lot... and there were plenty of GPS type range finder wrist wear, not that it would make any difference to my game!

Be safe out there all you golfers!

Craftsman
    That's great to hear you had a great weekend away.

Being an ex Marshall I have seen some horrific situations on the course. One situation, a gentleman was hit on the side of the head as he was doing something with his bag from litteraly 10 yards (his fault). He was lucky it was only a few stitches.

Which course did you play?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Master
    Some nice gear there
    The watches obviously and not the golf attire.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

I've seen a few bad injuries while playing golf. People don't respect that object flying at 200mph. No calling warnings, ball fired over other players heads.
    Golf etiquette is there to keep other players safe, but many people just pitch up at a course cause mayhem.
    I watch a group at my course at the weekend take 15 minutes to tee off, they were all over the place a danger to themselves and others. We need people to take up the game but it has to be taken seriously. Pleased you weren't seriously hurt. I had a friend who's jaw bone was smash by a wayward drive. Keep safe and enjoy the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Merkaholic View Post
    That's great to hear you had a great weekend away.

Being an ex Marshall I have seen some horrific situations on the course. One situation, a gentleman was hit on the side of the head as he was doing something with his bag from litteraly 10 yards (his fault). He was lucky it was only a few stitches.

Which course did you play?

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
    Old Thorns, good sports bar as well

close call that.

I've never been hit that hard before, balls that bounce before hitting my leg. my 15 year old that plays county golf hit me full belt once in the back, fortunately I was carrying my bag so it hit that instead. goes to show though, regardless how good someone is, one wayward shot can ruin your day, I don't turn my back on any shot anymore

A close call indeed! I've seen some crazy things on the golf course but have luckily avoided being hit. Talking of crazy things, chaps wearing their expensive time pieces whilst thwacking hard objects with equally hard objects is a tad too brave for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Craizeehair View Post
    I’ve just enjoyed a jolly boys golf weekend away, every year 12 of us get together for a long weekend of golf, beers and a gold old catch up. The golf’s really just an excuse to make sure we meet up and have a good old social really but we all enjoy a bit of a knock and a few of us enjoy our watches as well, so it’s always a nice weekend, this was number 10 and number 11 is already in the pipeline.

We played 18 holes Friday and Saturday and a few of us decided to squeeze in a cheeky 12 before heading off home today.

On the last hole, me and two others were standing on the tee box waiting for the fairway to clear before we went off when we heard the familiar shout of FORE!

I naturally dipped my head and raised my hands up to my head, not expecting much to happen. In all the years I’ve been playing I’ve never had anyone I’ve known to be hit or injured... until the ball that was travelling on the receiving end of a 3 wood struck the handle of my driver that was up by the side of my head!

It fair took me by surprise but no harm done, it took a few seconds for me to realise that it had clean broken the shaft of the club clean in two.

So I will now be on the lookout for a new driver for next years tournament... along with some golfing insurance, if it had struck my head instead of the club, I’m pretty sure it would have done some damage to my fine looking bonce... as well as my wallet, it’s been a while since I had to fork out for new clubs and had kind of forgotten how expensive they were. I know that I could get a new shaft fitted to my old club but Mrs C doesn’t know that ;)

As an aside, it was good to see some nice watches actually being worn, whether swinging a club or enjoying a social. I can’t wear a watch when playing golf no matter what it is, just doesn’t feel comfortable but all the other guys wore whatever they had on for the lot... and there were plenty of GPS type range finder wrist wear, not that it would make any difference to my game!

Be safe out there all you golfers!
    Well, as I sit here having been told the story of how my workmate nearly brained someone and broke their driver on their golf jolly on Friday I perused my favourite watch site to read this! Dave says sorry again

Tell him he’s given me a great story to share and a chance to purchase a shiny new driver!