closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Omega Deville "Power Reserve"

Omega Deville "Power Reserve"

Well guys, what do you think?

This is the now discontinued (buy still available if you look) Omega Deville "Power Reserve" on a bracelet. It has the Co Axial movement and is also available on a brown strap.

If I threw this watch into the mix along with the Rolex TOG and DateJust?

I started out wanting this one over a year ago and then changed my mind several times, eventually buying the JLC.

I look at this watch now and still feel a "pull" so perhaps I should consider it again?

What do you think of the bracelet? Is it too bling or is it tastefull?
    Would it look OK as an every day wearer? a weekend watch or only a pure dress watch?

Forgetting price and brand loyalty, going purely on the watches themselves which would you prefer? TOG

DJ

or This one.

Re: Omega Deville "Power Reserve"

I don't like the Omega at all. DJ would be my choice for an everyday wearer from the three.

I really like the black dialled version of the Omega, but I don't like the white one. Not enough contrast between hands and dial for me. Not a fan of the DeVille bracelet, either!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    I really like the black dialled version of the Omega, but I don't like the white one. Not enough contrast between hands and dial for me. Not a fan of the DeVille bracelet, either!
    +1. Too.............. neutral.

Grand Master

I'll buck the trend, I like the Omega, although I'd never wear such a dressy watch, but the same can be said for both those Rolex. Anyhow out of the three listed, IMHO:

1. DJ
    2. Omega
    3. ToG
    /vince ..

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Would like it more on a croc strap, brown or black
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Craftsman
    the country where every village is a nation

If you use to wear casual clothes at work, the rolex TOG would be my choice.
    On the other hand, itīs a bit sporty for a suit IMHO, so if thatīs the case, my daily wearer would be the DJ.
    I donīt like the omega dial and I find the bracelet too bling.
    Just my opinion :D

Personally, I'd go for the Omega, because I like the added complication of the power reserve. But I'd loose that horrible blingy bracelet and either put it on something a little more subtle (mesh, perhaps?) or more probably on a good quality leather strap with deployant. Good luck with your choice.

I have a couple of these Omooga PRs (on bracelet) around me ... and some weeks ago I saw one which came from the far East (on a strap). They are very finely finished, much better than their sports models.

They don’t have as much wrist presence as the Rolex models but sometimes that is exactly what a buyer is looking for.

As time goes by I am becoming less and less convinced with the co-axial movement and for that reason I’d say stay clear of it.

john
    Every watch a story.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas

As time goes by I am becoming less and less convinced with the co-axial movement and for that reason I’d say stay clear of it.

john
    I'm curious, John, what makes you say that? I've just got a co-axial (Aqua Terra) and I keep thinking I should read up on it a bit more.
    Dave E

Grand Master

I'm curious, John, what makes you say that? I've just got a co-axial (Aqua Terra) and I keep thinking I should read up on it a bit more.
    Also curious, I also have one (although strictly speaking as it's been on my friends wrist for several years it's probably not really mine any longer) but he's found no issue with it, it's still very accurate & still looks good.
    /vince ..

Quote Originally Posted by VinceR
    Also curious, I also have one (although strictly speaking as it's been on my friends wrist for several years it's probably not really mine any longer) but he's found no issue with it, it's still very accurate & still looks good.
    Quote Originally Posted by abraxas
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob
    Omegas have ETA movements, or is it that Swatch have Omega movements? I get so confused :twisted: :D
    My friend's 4 year old co-ax has stopped. Very disappointing, as I suggested it. :(

john
    viewtopic.php?f=1&t=51140

It is an Aqua-Terra too. What pisses me off is that he also has an Omega GMT and that has out-performed the AT in every way ... :(

Another thing I dislike about the co-ax is that it can only be tweaked by an expert.

Don't get me wrong ... I think it is great to be part of the experiment ... it's just a tad harder to convince non-WISes these days.

john
    Every watch a story.

Interesting! Mine is about a year old, so I'll be keeping an eye on the experiment.

Mind you, my Seamaster GMT I bought 3 years ago pre-owned (so has to be a couple more years older than that at least) and it's within a second a day even now. There is always the thought that the co-axial answers a question nobody but Omega was asking...
    Dave E

Another disadvantage I would like to mention is the parts-availability.
    It is nearly impossible to get parts for the co-ax. You will have to send your watch to Omega in case of service/repair.

I would only trust Biel, I think the service centre for the BeNeLux is filled with a bunch of morons I wouldn't trust to even change the straps on my watches.

I' ve had very disappointing experiences with these people.

So you are going to have to wait for some 2-6 months for the service...
    Further prepare to pay a premium...

I'd stay clear of it. And about the precision: I own several vintage and newer mechanical watches that have been adjusted and serviced by my own watchmaker. Most of these watches keep time well within the chronometer-specifications.
    Top of the bill is my Speedmaster auto, that is very consistently running at +2 seconds per 14 days...
    Trust me, you don't need co-ax...

Lastly: please visit the weblog of the late Chuck Maddox. His opinion on co-ax is very interesting.

PS: my choice would be the old model Datejust. I don't like the polished lugs on the new one.

Great balanced advice guys, much appreciated.

I'm sort of going off the Omega myself, mainly because I concede the bracelet is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top! Although superbly made, almost a piece of art!

I tried on both a DJ and a TOG today (The DJ was a domed bezel, silver dial on an oyster & the TOG was a blue dial version not the black on an oyster). To be honest the DJ just felt and looked...well nicer and even felt and looked more substantial!
    I'll reserve judgement until I try on a black dialled TOG but so far it's the DJ.
    For such a simple, almost basic watch it's wrist presence is incredible!

Now I need to decide if I should flip my 2254.50 for a new Black "Bond" SMP! :?

OP.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Peel
    Great balanced advice guys, much appreciated.

I'm sort of going off the Omega myself, mainly because I concede the bracelet is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over the top! Although superbly made, almost a piece of art!

I tried on both a DJ and a TOG today (The DJ was a domed bezel, silver dial on an oyster & the TOG was a blue dial version not the black on an oyster). To be honest the DJ just felt and looked...well nicer and even felt and looked more substantial!
    I'll reserve judgement until I try on a black dialled TOG but so far it's the DJ.
    For such a simple, almost basic watch it's wrist presence is incredible!

Now I need to decide if I should flip my 2254.50 for a new Black "Bond" SMP! :?

OP.
    I have an old Bond SMP, the blue one. It still is my companion when diving. It's just a great watch. Believe me, no need to flip it! Just keep it and enjoy it!