closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Interesting James Dowling interview... (re: Vintage Rolex market)

Interesting James Dowling interview... (re: Vintage Rolex market)

Don’t know if this has already been posted, apologies if so...

https://youtu.be/avbyUvLINR4

Some interesting observations from one of the experts...

Master
    Interesting vid but what on Earth is going on with them upside down sunglasses on top of his head

Sums it up perfectly and reflects my thoughts exactly.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooshabak View Post
    Interesting vid but what on Earth is going on with them upside down sunglasses on top of his head
    My thoughts exactly. ..what a w@***r.

Many thanks for posting.

Those stupid sunglasses are the only reason I don't watch their videos. Every single time I see him in a video I exit. Especially with a suit - what's going through his head? Something to be "cool" and "different"?

He’s just an awkward/unstylish dresser... there are worse sins! I find him oddly endearing...

Thanks for posting. Very interesting and a reminder that fashion changes and that even vintage Rolex can go down as well as up. I imagine the bubble back deline is mostly due to their relatively small size.

What a boring git. Couldn't bear to listen to more than 5 minutes of it

Master
    Blog Entries
    That guy seems to have a good view of things, stops short of calling the current market a bubble but that seems his implication.

Master
    I actually think that out of most of the watch "experts" online, he's one of the more knowledgeable ones. It's a shame he didn't ask about his thoughts on the current "shortage", supply of models and grey dealer prices. He's an interesting fellow is Mr Dowling and doesn't appear to take it too seriously, which is refreshing.

Does anyone think there is a real chance vintage Rolex prices will decline? The world gets richer, new Rolex prices go up each year, and vintage Rolex are rare with a dwindling supply as pieces get damaged or locked away as long term safe queens

Quote Originally Posted by RS24 View Post
    Does anyone think there is a real chance vintage Rolex prices will decline?
    Yes. In (very) simplistic terms, if/when interest rates rise again, then the value of cash will increase again. Watches (and other assets such as classic cars) will be sold to be converted into cash. More watches on market means more supply than demand and prices will go down.

Historically low interest rates are obviously only one element in a very complex puzzle but it is one major reason why physical assets (watches, cars, art etc) have increased so much in relative value over the past decade.
    Last edited by Bravo73; 6th January 2020 at 17:34. Reason: Grammar typo

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo73 View Post
    Yes. In (very) simplistic terms, if/when interest rates rise again, then the value of cash will increase again. Watches (and other assets such as classic cars) will be sold to be converted into cash. More watches on market means more supply than demand and prices will go down.

Historically low interest rates are obviously only one element in a very complex puzzle but it is one major reason why physical assets (watches, cars, art etc) have increased so much in relative value over the past decade.
    Fashions change, when they do people will desire other things ... predicting fashions is notoriously difficult.

When prices look silly they usually are, don’t be the last buyer in the queue.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Side of The Loon View Post
    Don’t know if this has already been posted, apologies if so...

https://youtu.be/avbyUvLINR4

Some interesting observations from one of the experts...
    Actual very nice and interesting in real life; I met him several years ago and had dinner. Got to see some of his private collection.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    Fashions change, when they do people will desire other things ... predicting fashions is notoriously difficult.

When prices look silly they usually are, don’t be the last buyer in the queue.
    +1000. He'd dead right about the whole fashion, emotion, desire and the herd mentality. And lack of logic involved. Nothing particularly wrong with that either. Goes for many areas of collecting.

Like Mr Dowling I well remember the Rolex bubble backs and early Oyster cases Rolex stuff being extremely collectable. I had a couple myself I got in the mid 90's(early Oyster cases, one bubble back). They went nuts in "value" over the next few years(I sold just at the peak, through far more luck than judgement). I would say the early internet adopters were a part of that and the first example of that influence. Fancy gold dress watches were another trend. Things like issued military watches were only for a tiny band of weirdos and largely dirt cheap when compared to today. One area I've noted that never climbed nor dipped particularly are early wristwatches, trench watches and the like. Adjusting for inflation and the usual sometimes daft dealer prices they've always remained pretty stable over the last 30 years. Small market though. Another small market like that are the early LCD/LED digitals. Always had a small band of nutters, sorry enthusiasts. Early quartz has certainly jumped in the last five to ten years.