closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Panerai Plexiglass

Journeyman

Panerai Plexiglass

Hi,

I am considering a PAM 372 with plexiglass. It comes with a spare glass and is in unworn condition (for 5k).

Is the plexiglass problematic and/or expensive. Should I steer clear and look for an alternative model - although I love the colour combination of the 372.

Thanks for advice.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

I've owned numerous 372's since 2011 and as long as you don't use it as a shield against hard objects it'll last for many years. It'll stand a polish with Polywatch should the micro scratches bother you but as with my 587 (also 47mm with the identical Plexiglass) a few small scratches suit the overall appearance of the watch, given that its supposed to be a homage to the original 1950's Panerai.

Google search Panerai 372 Plexi Crackle! I believe this is a man made process of pressure and heat being applied to the glass which speeds up a the distortion and aging giving the look of 50+year old plexiglass.

Craftsman
    The plexi is what makes the watch. Have no fear and if it gets too scratched just lightly polish with polywatch and it'll look right as rain.

Exactly the model in after. Seems a great price for an unworn model. Dibs if you don't buy it!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by mborkow View Post
    The plexi is what makes the watch. Have no fear and if it gets too scratched just lightly polish with polywatch and it'll look right as rain.

This ^^^^^ if you bash a plexy you can buff it out. You can't with sapphire - they just chip.

Plus a plexy has a "warmth" to it you just don't get with sapphire. Perhaps this is why JLC us a plexy on the new Deepsea Legend.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Echo the above, I have a 372 and the acrylic 'glass' is lovely, gives it a warm vintage look that is perfect for the watch.
    Cheers..
    Jase

Master
    On the flip side of the coin, I am not much into vintage/retro watches and wouldn't touch an acrylic crystal watch with a bargepole, having spent years polishing away at some I have owned in the past. What you find however, is that they can be to some extent self-polishing, so serious repolishing isn't required that often in practice.
    For my taste, acrylic crystals lack the clarity of sapphire and even mineral glass and because they are generally thicker material they introduce distortions that frankly I don't like.

Yes you can polish out any scratches but give me the simple life.

Personally i'd avoid the latest 372 with sapphire, plexi for me every time.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by saintsinner View Post
    Personally i'd avoid the latest 372 with sapphire, plexi for me every time.
    I didn't realize they were now distributing the 372 with sapphire crystal but you are right (they are). OP, if it's the plexi that concerns you I'd think that at some point if you wear thru both plexi crystals you could replace with sapphire as the part is now standard for the watch...but once you get the plexi you won't go back :)

Journeyman
    Thanks all - I think I might go for it

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mezza View Post
    Hi,

I am considering a PAM 372 with plexiglass. It comes with a spare glass and is in unworn condition (for 5k).

Is the plexiglass problematic and/or expensive. Should I steer clear and look for an alternative model - although I love the colour combination of the 372.

Thanks for advice.

You should definitely go for it, there are no issues with the plexiglass what so ever. Just use Polywatch if you don't like having swirls on the glass and it will be like new!

Here's mine :-)

Guys...need help
    Just been offered by the local Panerai Boutique an old stock brand new (B&P) for little less than 6k euro
    Any thoughs?
    I secure this price until the end if this week so I need urgent help.
    I personally find it iresistible all together....with Plexi and all.....
    Looks sooooo Panerai to me :)

Trimis de pe al meu SM-N975F folosind Tapatalk

go for it ,lifes too short

Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    go for it ,lifes too short
    Exactly the same expression used by a close friend of mine (another WIS :) )
    How do you find the price?

they seem to float around 5k mark used so 6k from a dealer isn't too bad, but beating him down to 5.5k would be nice though

they seem to float around 5k mark used so 6k from a dealer isn't too bad, but beating him down to 5.5k would be nice though
    I dragged the price from around 9.2k tag price....maybe tomorrow he'll go even lower...finger crossed
    I am talking euros :)

From 9.2k , then you have done well but trying for 5.5k he can say yes or no if no the 6k ain’t bad for new

Just do it. 6k is not unreasonable for a nos.

The perfect Pam imo

Certainly no reason to avoid plexi in my book... have one on a 721 and it's been tougher than expected, also looks great

Sent from my SM-G973F using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    I have both version and provided you don’t abuse the watch, the plexiglass is not an issue.

A bit of polishing will bring it back fo norm, with sapphire being low maintenance and obviously clear

Quote Originally Posted by marius View Post
    Guys...need help
    Just been offered by the local Panerai Boutique an old stock brand new (B&P) for little less than 6k euro
    Any thoughs?
    I secure this price until the end if this week so I need urgent help.
    I personally find it iresistible all together....with Plexi and all.....
    Looks sooooo Panerai to me :)

IMHO the best Pam, unfortunately i cannot pull off the 47mm (if only they made the exact replica in 42mm)

Quote Originally Posted by McBeardy View Post
    IMHO the best Pam, unfortunately i cannot pull off the 47mm (if only they made the exact replica in 42mm)
    And guess what?
    It's mine now....Again like in the 932 case I cannot take my eyes off of it.....
    Strangely enough...no Plexi extra glass in the box and no place for it
    The dealer showed me how the spot for the extra Plexi looks on a box but te said that those are only coming with the special edition one lately ....
    Doesn't really matter actually..... I totally love it!

Craftsman
    Absolutely gorgeous... Congrats and enjoy.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

i maintain the plexi is the one to get, I also think that the more beaten up it gets, the better it looks, i've seem some that have really taken a beating and they look great

so wear it and enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by Desert_Weasel View Post
    Absolutely gorgeous... Congrats and enjoy.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk
    Thank you kind Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by mrpgkennedy View Post
    i maintain the plexi is the one to get, I also think that the more beaten up it gets, the better it looks, i've seem some that have really taken a beating and they look great

so wear it and enjoy it
    Use and abuse!
    This is in the menu!
    The only problem is that from now on I have to get rid of my other watches, a new PO 45.5 ,and two Breilings (blackbird and SO Heritage)......i just cannot hear their call any longer :)

Funny enough I’ve been after a Pam 372 for a while now but I was specifically after the later sapphire crystal model because I’m not a fan of plexi personally, fortunately I acquired the latest ‘T’ serial with sapphire and the 3 bridges in the movement just last week. Delighted with it and I know lots of the purists prefer plexi and there’s no doubt it’s a great looking watch irrespective of the choice of glass/crystal. I’ve read on a few forums here and there that the Pam 372 is being discontinued but not sure how true that is, certainly surprising bearing in mind it’s been a good seller for Panerai.

Did you manage to register it with Pam guard as yours is NOS, worth doing as mine is under warranty now until 2027.

Journeyman
    As far as I know,372 sapphire isn’t discontinued yet,however the early plexi was replaced with sapphire model after a year off

I was lucky that I got the first year 372 (though no discount as the demand was crazy back then) with 26x26 strap

Kept reading and ...a new dilemma is born.
    Just when I convinced myself that Plexi is great and warm and that I can remove scratches with Polywatch or toothpaste.....I read that mine is possible to be ....saphire .
    It is a S series made in May2017 ...How can I know what is it?Looks like a saphire to me but....never seen a Plexi.....
    And easy test?

Under the box there will be a slot with a spare plexi ,if this isn’t there then it will be sapphire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journeyman
    The simplest test will be tapping the crystal,does it sounds like plastic or like glass? I have 368 and 372,the sapphire will produce a ping sound whereas the plexi will sound more like tick tick tick

I am pretty sure it's saphire
    It's stated on the instruction manual that is a chrystal made out of corundum....and there is no slot for a spare Plexi.....
    And sounds like glass not plastic...

I thought plexi phased out in around 2015, mines 2015 I think and plexi

I wouldnt worry about5 glass/plexi debate ,the main thing is you now own a cracking 372

If no spare plexi slot, I would guess glass.

Think as per above sapphire kicked in from 2017 (the guys on Panerai foroum - network54 panerai) will easily let you know.

Shame as the plexi does give great distortion and a warmth unlike glass. Guess similar argument to the hesalite/ sapphire Speedy query.

I had 2016 sapphire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I have a choice I'd go for plexi (and I did).
    But if I'll have NOS 372 for 5.5k Euro I'd buy it no matter which version it is :-)

I wouldnt worry about5 glass/plexi debate ,the main thing is you now own a cracking 372
    Exactly this.