closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Current Sea Dweller to be continued,not replaced by Deep Sea

Master

Current Sea Dweller to be continued,not replaced by Deep Sea

That's what I was told by my Rolex AD this week. Apparently demand for the current Sea Dweller is so strong that rather than replace it with the Deep Sea as originally intended, they're simply going to produce both models, although the Sea Dweller may be made in smaller numbers he thinks.

All good for all those Sea Dweller fans if true.

Anyone else heard anything?

Re: Current Sea Dweller to be continued,not replaced by Deep Sea

If they were to put the Deep Sea quality of bracelet on the Sea Dweller, it would be a winner in my book.

Master

If that is the case its a bammer for those who started horting Sea Dwellers. A friend of mine just purchased two more as an investment for his collection of eight, hoping they would increase in value once discontinued. I did think it was too easy and straight forward, maybee the demand has increased so much because of that very reason.
    I have heard both versions from reliable sources. My guess would be that Rolex will want to see how the new monster sells before cutting off a bestseller. I know nothing...but its interesting to watch and follow....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    Yes. Nothing. ADs, collectors and speculators can say what they like. I still haven't seen anything from Rolex stating the SD was ever going to be discontinued.

Re:

Quote Originally Posted by DeusIrae
    Yes. Nothing. ADs, collectors and speculators can say what they like. I still haven't seen anything from Rolex stating the SD was ever going to be discontinued.
    I wonder if the rumour mill extended beyond the Internet? We like to think we know everything but millions of watch owners and collectors don't spend half their lives reading about watches on The Net.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

This is great news if true. Well, it is for those of us who still don't have an SD in the collection. :D

The only thing I've ever truly noticed from Rolex is that they don't seem to care what their most avid followers think. I'd guess they have some sort of marketing team that tries to keep up with trends etc...which have almost nothing to do with true fans of the brand. There are so many models they should have re-issued or develped if they did ever hear them.

Grand Master

Whereas I've no idea if it will or not be discontinued, I assume that the powers that be at Rolex will wait 7 see how the DS performs in the market before making a decision on the SD. I guess if the demand for the DS outstrips the SD then that will mean the discontinuation. Otherwise I'm assuming it will be here for a while.

As for buying them as an investment, I'm sure that'll continue & as with everything Rolex the price increases without rhyme or reason.
    /vince ..

I'm probably the odd one out here, but I think the Deep Sea will be a flop.
    It seems that it's a great watch until you come to wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by wust588
    I'm probably the odd one out here, but I think the Deep Sea will be a flop.
    It seems that it's a great watch until you come to wear it.
    I can't believe the price. What's so new about other than it being bigger, gaudy, and twice as expensive? Same movement AFAIK. :?

That's what I was told by my Rolex AD this week. Apparently demand for the current Sea Dweller is so strong that rather than replace it with the Deep Sea as originally intended, they're simply going to produce both models, although the Sea Dweller may be made in smaller numbers he thinks.

All good for all those Sea Dweller fans if true.

Well my AD told me exactly the opposite, ie Sea Dweller is dead. They are not taking any further orders for them.

Rumours, rumours..........

Master

Quote Originally Posted by worlok
    I can't believe the price. What's so new about other than it being bigger, gaudy, and twice as expensive? Same movement AFAIK. :?
    It gives you much more technical information on the dial, just in case you forgot that it had a ring lock system at 3899 meters below the surface. Surely part of the whole Deep Sea thing is the marketing and media talk it creates, which in turn will sell the other watches, preferably the ones in Gold, Platinum and with Diamonds.
    The Sea Dweller is only a small but very successful sideline of the core business selling Gold and Platinum. The Deep Sea will help to promote the brand and if you want the deepest, you will need deep pockets. I am sure they will sell very well with the first onces hitting the market at twice or three times list and collectors queuing up to buy. Rolex will be smart enough to keep supply tight as always.

The Sea-Dweller is still on the Rolex web site. I don't know if that means anything, but it's still there.

Regardless of that, I can't help thinking that people trying to guess the next great collectable Rolex model missed the boat twenty years ago. People know about high priced old Rolex models now, and there are lots of people buying watches to put away purely as investments. Think a bit further about how many Sea-Dwellers are out there. I don't mean Comex or double reds either; just standard SDs. It's quite a large number. They aren't rare. Possibly a good 'fun' gamble as part of a large investment portfolio, but other than that, why all the fuss?

Craftsman

I just want one to wear on the wrist... who cares abt value going up (except when I havent bought mine yet)

Master

We will find out soon, but 3 AD's I have spoken to reckon they have had their last SD before the arrival of the DSSD and all of them went to collectors who wanted one of the last SD's.

The DSSD will be "huge" hit - as somebody said in the thread, Rolex collectors, TZr's and those with more than a usual interest in watches are but a very very small fraction of Rolex total sales. As with all rolex watches, the DSSD will be sold to lots of people who don't wish to know or care what a gas escape valve, fliplock bracelet, triplock crown or chornometer rating is and I suppose, why should they ?

They can leave it to us to agonise & debate over the details!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bluetinfloor
    We will find out soon, but 3 AD's I have spoken to reckon they have had their last SD before the arrival of the DSSD and all of them went to collectors who wanted one of the last SD's.

The DSSD will be "huge" hit - as somebody said in the thread, Rolex collectors, TZr's and those with more than a usual interest in watches are but a very very small fraction of Rolex total sales. As with all rolex watches, the DSSD will be sold to lots of people who don't wish to know or care what a gas escape valve, fliplock bracelet, triplock crown or chornometer rating is and I suppose, why should they ?

They can leave it to us to agonise & debate over the details!
    Every single Rolex model is a "huge hit". For a while. Usually until the next Baselfair. Just look at the Milgauss GV price since DSSD was introduced. :blackeye:

Great news if rolex would continue to make the SD!

Quote Originally Posted by calvinktlim
    I just want one to wear on the wrist... who cares abt value going up (except when I havent bought mine yet)
    Lots of people don't care about appreciation, but, against all odds, I've yet to run accross one on any sales board.

I seem to remember the same fuss being made over the 'Limited, Special Edition' Sub LV.

Shortly after they were announced, my brother called me from a business trip in Australia, where he'd seen one in the window of the local Sydney AD - I advised he buy it, which he did, for about £3000 equivalent (at the time normal Sub-dates were £2350 in the UK, guess the Au$ was at a weird rate at the time).

A few grey dealers were selling them for £5000 in Bond St, but my brother decided to keep it :roll: :)

Fast forward 4 years, I spot one (thankfully without the new rehaut) in an AD window for list (£2950) and decide to go for it as I love the maxi-dial.

I love the watch, but I've seen 5 :shock: in AD windows in and around London in the 9 months since I bought mine - they've now gone up to £3250, but the 'limited edition/soon to be discontinued' nonsense is still bandied about by some dealers/websites :twisted:

No doubt people will say 'that's because they're getting rid of the stock' but until Rolex actually announce that a watch is discontinued I wouldn't pay it any attention.

After all, Rolex have all the tooling, it must be very easy to keep knocking out Sea-Dwellers by the million.

Personally, I can't imagine anyone spending nearly £5000 on a tool-watch for battering on dive-boats and gear, I think the new DeepSea looks like a bit of a horror so if they continue to make the SeaDweller that's got to be good news :)

As an aside, how many SeaDwellers are out there? - is it really likely they'll become instantly collectable?

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

AD today said the last cases had been used and there will be no more :shock:

Just as well I've......DOH! :D
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

My local AD (who I didn't buy my SD from) has one in his window which he has been told is the last he'll ever have.

Whether I believe that or not I am fairly sure that he does.

So that's one AD in euroland that also thinks they won't be seeing any more.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by r.e.c.
    I've yet to run accross one on any sales board.
    http://www.network54.com/Forum/207673/m ... 1220524985

$13.5K USD + incidentals.

Grand Master

My information direct from Rolex UK is that the last batch of the current sea dweller will leave switzerland at the of november and that will be it less those in circulation!
    RIAC