closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Using Chalky finish paints

Master

Using Chalky finish paints

With all this time on my hands it was suggested that we, ( the royal we ), might like to decorate a couple of bedrooms.
    We have a few bits of pine furniture in the rooms that need sprucing up a bit so I decided to break out the Rust-Oleum chalky finish furniture paint, I've painted furniture before but never with chalky finish paint.
    Either I'm missing something, or just doing it wrong, but, I'm finding that the paint seems to drag a bit when applying, even to the point of picking up a bit on the brush and leaving very small lumps on the wood, almost as if it's drying very very quickly.
    I know these can be sanded down easily to obtain the finish required, but just wondering if anyone has experience of working with this paint and can point me in the direction of what I might be doing wrong.

Craftsman
    My wife used to run a chalk paints franchise. It wasn’t Rust -Oleum but Annie Sloan. You can add water to the tin in small amounts and stir in to allow the paint to cover more smoothly. More than one thin coat is fine, especially because each coat dries so quickly. Sanding will smooth the finish but also clear or dark wax and buffing can give a good, deep sheen. Good stuff for experimenting: you can always paint over your cock-ups!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Craftsman
    Wet the brush and shake before dipping into the paint for the first time. Also wipe the surface to be painted with a damp clean cloth immediately before painting (only for water based paints!). That will make the application smoother. And dilute the paint ever so slightly (5% max).

Master
    Thanx for that advice, diluting etc is certainly the way to go, much easier to brush on, and it might go a bit further, this stuff isn't cheap, lol.