closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: New iPhone SE

New iPhone SE

Anyone bought one yet? Launched quietly with little fanfare.

Same A13 chip as the 11 and 11 pro. Retina HD display and glass aluminium back too. Same size as the iPhone 8 which personally appeals to me.

All for £419. Seems like Apple has played a blinder here.

No but I know a few of my mates are interested.

I suppose with Apple's previous lineup the cheapest phone you could've bought from them was a 7 or 8. Otherwise it was dominated by the iPhone X / 11 family which are too expensive for most people. The latest SE allows them to tap into the more budget-friendly market and prevent Apple users converting to Android. Makes sense really.

If iOS is a priority, then the A13 processor ensures you will get updates for the next 4 odd years. That is a huge thing to have - the new Pixel lite which will be released will cost a similar amount and feature wise, but crucially you do will not necessarily get updates for more than two years.

Personally I would find the screen too small - though some may see that as an advantage, and it's a shame Apple didn't update the design a little from the iPhone 8 - it looks super dated. The camera seems quite poor in low light too, they probably could have added the night mode in from the 11, shame they didn't (especially because Google usually includes all the bells and whistles with the cheaper Pixel).

Oh one more thing, if you do buy, spend the extra amount and get the 128 gig.

New iPhone SE

Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Oh one more thing, if you do buy, spend the extra amount and get the 128 gig.
    You can buy a 256GB model, and then still have £150 change compared to a 64 GB iPhone 11

Master
    I would definitely have had one of these 6 months ago when I was changing phone. My original SE was my favourite handset

... and get the 128 gig.
    It's a friendly challenge, so don't take it the wrong way, but, why? I've never needed anything like that amount. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.

As an 8 user it’s not much of an upgrade and I expect a couple of more years use before I upgrade. At least it’s cheaper now so for those waiting to buy their next non-£1000 iPhone it’s a welcome update.

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    You can buy a 256GB model, and then still have £150 change compared to a 64 GB iPhone 11
    But that feels almost defeating the point of keeping things cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by catch21 View Post
    It's a friendly challenge, so don't take it the wrong way, but, why? I've never needed anything like that amount. I'm not sure what I'm missing here.
    The base OS bulks up each year and by the time you have photos, media and music you will hit the 64 gig limit easy.

It’s cheaper to pay for extra space on iCloud
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Mine was delivered this morning, just getting it setup now.
    I have an 8, so it's not a massive upgrade, but I fancied a new one (had my 8 since just after launch) and also wanted to support a line that I hope will continue - I neither want the fullscreen display, face ID, nor (most importantly) the vast cost of the rest of the Apple range.
    Plus a top memory (256gb) and AppleCare for £648 is good value for what it offers - with my 8 traded in, that'll knock £140 off it too.

I recently upgraded my 3 year old iPhone 7 for an iPhone 11 and the larger screen has made a huge difference, but that’s got a lot to do with being 50 and needing a larger screen so I can actually read it!
    I plumped for a 128gb model, as the original 64gb in the 7 was half full and I figured it’s worth having extra space rather than regretting it later. I have most things backed up on icloud, but need some things stored on the phone as 4G is very patchy where I live for eg Apple Music so I download a fair bit.
    My wife has an old SE which is a great phone but nearly 3 years old, when she moans it’s getting slow I’ll buy her a new SE. What I like about iPhones is that I can keep them for 3-4 years and they just work, keep getting updates etc, and although they are undoubtedly over priced, by keeping them longer than an android equivalent the cost is about even. I don’t view mine as a phone really - it’s a music and video player, web browser, fitness coach, still and video camera, notepad, voice recorder, games machine - if you tried to buy all that in the 90’s you’d need a van to fit it all in, and it would cost you much more than a few hundred quid!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    I've been using the old SE and waiting for Apple to bring out something similar. I don't want to need a man bag to carry around some huge phone, so the SE was a good pocket sized phone for me. Will have to have a look at the new one in the shops when they reopen but I think the extra size will mean I keep my old one a bit longer.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    I’m glad the bought it out. Loved my last SE but now have an 8, I don’t need anything larger & have my iPad / MacBook if I do.

I’m still a fan of the iPhone 4 footprint!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s also good for parents who have kids wanting an iPhone or an upgrade from an earlier model. My lad has an iPhone 7 and after nearly 2 years, the battery life is poor. I can either replace the battery or part-ex his old phone against the SE. For a few hundred pounds we’ll get another few years out of a new phone.

Craftsman
    I have the current SE and I think it’s great. I now have an upgrade path at sense cost as I don’t want a huge screen.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by oldoakknives View Post
    I've been using the old SE and waiting for Apple to bring out something similar. I don't want to need a man bag to carry around some huge phone, so the SE was a good pocket sized phone for me. Will have to have a look at the new one in the shops when they reopen but I think the extra size will mean I keep my old one a bit longer.
    Same, disappointed it's so big. Just needed the old SE to have a full screen.

Craftsman
    Sat in the sun waiting for mine to arrive. Have had my old SE for almost four years now, so this will be a welcome upgrade. I have no need for an edge to edge screen, so the new SE should do the job nicely.

I’ve got an IPhone 7 and the battery is starting to suffer. This might suit but I’ve been looking at an iPhone 7 Plus. I think I would love the bigger size but not sure on the bulk in my pocket.

Same here. I’ve got a 7 that I’m perfectly happy with. It’s on 86% on a second battery. Thinking of part ex as well. How do you do this In the current lock down and with all Apple stores closed?
    Also is it worth holding out for a 5g next year?

I ordered a 128GB SE for my wife to replace her 7 which will go to my 11 year old daughter who has been using an old LG G3.

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Same here. I’ve got a 7 that I’m perfectly happy with. It’s on 86% on a second battery. Thinking of part ex as well. How do you do this In the current lock down and with all Apple stores closed?
    When you are buying your SE online, they should ask if you have a device to trade in. You provide them with the serial number, answer a few questions on its condition and they then tell you what it’s worth. You pay full price for your new device and they will send you a box to send your old phone back to them and they then credit to you, the initially agreed trade in amount.

My daughter recently ordered a new iPad and this is the process she went through.

Apple offered me £90 for my wife’s 3.5 year old 128GB iPhone 7. We decided to keep it and hand it down to our daughter.

When you do a trade in, Apple charge you full price for the new device and ship it to you. They also ship you a return box. You have 14 days to send them the device you are trading in. Once they receive the old device, they assess it to decide if it is worth the quoted amount. If it is, they give you a partial refund against your new device order. If it is worth less you have the option for it to be returned free of charge or to take the lesser amount. My Dad did this earlier this year when buying a new iMac. He got £240 for his very old and out of date iMac which wasn’t worth passing on to anyone.

New iPhone SE

Just ordered the new SE for my wife.

Have to say (for an Apple product) it seems to pack a punch for the price.

Will be interesting to see how it compares to my 11 Pro Max. I sold my soul to Apple a long time ago so am on the upgrade programme so tend to have the latest model.

The one thing more than any of the fancy pants cameras or whatever that Apple have final sorted on the 11 is a battery life that makes the phone actually useable all day.

Always reminds me of this -

https://youtu.be/jhDisgdEG4U

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb1977 View Post
    Just ordered the new SE for my wife.

Have to say (for an Apple product) it seems to pack a punch for the price.

Will be interesting to see how it compares to my 11 Pro Max. I sold my soul to Apple a long time ago so am on the upgrade programme so tend to have the latest model.

The one thing more than any of the fancy pants cameras or whatever that Apple have final sorted on the 11 is a battery life that makes the phone actually useable all day.

Always reminds me of this -

https://youtu.be/jhDisgdEG4U
    Would be interested in hearing your thoughts between the 2 models

Quote Originally Posted by LRB255 View Post
    Would be interested in hearing your thoughts between the 2 models
    Got a feeling I may feel a little silly given the huge difference in price. However I do like a larger screen personally. But not sure a big screen is worth more than double the SE.

Craftsman
    Got a feeling I may feel a little silly given the huge difference in price. However I do like a larger screen personally. But not sure a big screen is worth more than double the SE.
    Thoughts still welcome though

I have X phone but interested to here your views

Thanks

The size of the screen. cost of OLED and far superior camera(s) (and the 11 pro camera is a huge step up from even the XS) should cushion the feeling!

The size of the screen. cost of OLED and far superior camera(s) (and the 11 pro camera is a huge step up from even the XS) should cushion the feeling!
    Hopefully.

The wife’s phone is due in to arrive first week of May. I’m intrigued to do a comparison. The truth is that for me my current phone is over spec. I probably don’t use or am unaware of half the stuff if can do.

I appreciate the quality of the camera - it is undoubtedly impressive - but only really wanted the 11 for the noticeable difference in battery performance as I said earlier. That’s a real game changer. Leaving the house with a phone and not having to remember to take a charger with you. How novel.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee View Post
    Apple offered me £90 for my wife’s 3.5 year old 128GB iPhone 7. We decided to keep it and hand it down to our daughter.

When you do a trade in, Apple charge you full price for the new device and ship it to you. They also ship you a return box. You have 14 days to send them the device you are trading in. Once they receive the old device, they assess it to decide if it is worth the quoted amount. If it is, they give you a partial refund against your new device order. If it is worth less you have the option for it to be returned free of charge or to take the lesser amount. My Dad did this earlier this year when buying a new iMac. He got £240 for his very old and out of date iMac which wasn’t worth passing on to anyone.
    thank you Phil. I think I’ll do that then. Mine’s in good nick. £90 is not much but better than nothing I guess.

thank you Phil. I think I’ll do that then. Mine’s in good nick. £90 is not much but better than nothing I guess.
    Just sell privately - there are enough people who would love a used phone for themselves or a family member, at a great price
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman
    Mine lands on Tuesday,good value I think-£28.95 pm with 6 gig which is more than enough,been desperately hanging on to my old SE so not enamoured with the size increase but sooner or later it had to happen. Time will tell but initial tech reviewers seem to love it.

For my wife I ordered a new SE which arrived on Friday to replace an iPhone 5s. It is a nice sized phone but once cased, it made a big difference (but that is possibly more to do with the choice of case).

Once setting up the new phone it took a matter of minutes where all apps, layout and settings were automatically copied to the new phone. Whilst I checked there was a recent back up, I did not think it would be set up as an identical match to the extent that it did. As an example, Outlook app was copied which incorporated not only an Outlook account but also Gmail account with the respective OneDrive and Google Drive accounts, which were all signed in.

I took much longer and struggled with applying the screen protector far more than setting up the phone. It would have helped if Amazon sent the right one and me realising it beforehand.

For the phone itself, it is very ‘reasonably’ priced and my wife is happy. I think for quick charging, a new plug and cable has to been purchased (near £50) but I may be wrong.

The new SE is great for the price but you have to remember it is essentially an iPhone 6 on the outside which was originally released in September 2015. They have made their margin and then some so will be in a pretty good place to pass on a bit of savings. Also to release a phone in 2020 with a forehead and chin that big it to be cheap or will fall flat.

That being said the processor is fantastic and if you prefer or need iOS it's a no brainer. 128gb will be the sweet spot for most and 256gb will be an oxymoron; no point buying the most expensive version of the cheapest phone they sell, defeats the point. It will be interesting how it stacks up against the upcoming Pixel 4a as the 4a (based on leaks) looks to be a very good phone indeed.

Craftsman
    I've seen the adverts but didn't realise it was new. TBH Apple haven't introduced anything exciting for a number of years now.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The new SE is great for the price but you have to remember it is essentially an iPhone 6 on the outside which was originally released in September 2015. They have made their margin and then some so will be in a pretty good place to pass on a bit of savings. Also to release a phone in 2020 with a forehead and chin that big it to be cheap or will fall flat.
    That's entirely dependent on which size you pick and I don't really understand why it being in an iPhone 6 body size is of any concern? So what if they've made their margin, you don't see Rolex change the Sub case every two years!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    That being said the processor is fantastic and if you prefer or need iOS it's a no brainer. 128gb will be the sweet spot for most and 256gb will be an oxymoron; no point buying the most expensive version of the cheapest phone they sell, defeats the point. It will be interesting how it stacks up against the upcoming Pixel 4a as the 4a (based on leaks) looks to be a very good phone indeed.
    Well I bought the 256gb as I want to store lots of music and photos on it, again don't really see why that defeats the point to be honest. The cost to go to an 11 is massive compared to what I've paid.

Frankly you either want the larger body with full screen or you don't, I think it's fair to say you don't!
    It worked for me as I like that smaller size and went to an 8 (and now the SE2) for exactly that reason.