closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone bought legal looking show registration plates?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ditchvisitor View Post
    I’ve just bought a plate from the DVLA and then ordered plates online without any need for documentation, legal size font etc just slightly smaller plate as it’s less digits.

Yes it’s illegally spaced before the forum police jump in, who cares!!
    You seem to be going to town on your Porsche Mike, presumably it's a keeper - looks lovely, but Black cars are never clean for long

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    You seem to be going to town on your Porsche Mike, presumably it's a keeper - looks lovely, but Black cars are never clean for long
    Thanks Bill! I sure am! It’s off next week for the new manifolds to be fitted, brand new OEM Porsche springs and fullY refurbed Bilstein shocks, oh and the calipers are getting refurbed!! Next time I’m down in Winchester I will let you know and pop by.

Master
    I bought legally spaced plates but with the original TVR slogan and factory telephone number, better than driving round advertising my local Halfords.

Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    I bought legally spaced plates but with the original TVR slogan and factory telephone number, better than driving round advertising my local Halfords.
    How many people do you think read the small print on a number plate?
    Of those that do how many feel they are being influenced in their purchasing by what they have read?

Craftsman
    I'm not one for illegal plates personally but do like clean and uncluttered ones with no dealer adverts etc

Smallest I had legally was this on my R34 (Special rules for imports)

On my R33 I had a show plate made up (For shows)

I always use an online company called https://www.myshowplates.com/ , they will make up anything you need legal or illegal and can do it online without any documentation as they aren't based in UK

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by broxie View Post
    I had a visit from the police after the number on my S4 had been cloned and used in robberies around Birmingham. They came to ask me whether I'd been in the area but later they said they knew it wasn't my car as the clone had the Euro flag on the plates, mine didn't.

They seem puzzled how the number was obtained until I told them that Audi and many other people leave the plates visible on their sales website so it's easy to choose a make/model/colour and find a number to clone. This information seemed to be news to them. I'd only bought the car a few weeks earlier so that's probably where they got the number from.
    My S4 was stolen in Birmingham a couple of years ago. It was found by the police a week later by accident when looking for another Audi.

It was returned to a local Bodyshop and i went to look at it. Scuffed up, parts missing and broken glass.
    Inside were some number plates. They were devoid of any markings except the number. I checked and they were for the same year and colour S4 but it was a manual gearbox version, mine was auto.

Mine was written off as uneconomical repair ( Cat D ? ) and appeared a month later on a Manchester Dealers website as 2 careful owners !

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    How many people do you think read the small print on a number plate?

This. As long as the plate looks ok and not stupidly out of the ordinary, no one gives a monkeys.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    This. As long as the plate looks ok and not stupidly out of the ordinary, no one gives a monkeys.
    I think the only danger that you may have is if you are stopped for another road traffic offence, if the Bobby is keen he may check your number plate and even you tyres pressures.

In 40 odd years I have only been stopped once for an illegally spaced number plate - stopped in Winchester - the Bobby said come back to the Station this week with the correct number plates - when I went back it was a different guy and he said, surprisingly, cannot understand why he bothered I wouldn't have - (I showed him the plates before and after)

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    They make money from the sale, and money from the fine. What's odd? ;-)
    I tend to agree, but the fines are few, once in over ten years of ownership :)

Master
    All my bits arrived today
    Short plates
    3D Letters
    Sticky pads
    Now I have to get the spacing right

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post
    How many people do you think read the small print on a number plate?Of those that do how many feel they are being influenced in their purchasing by what they have read?
    Ever been to a classic car event? It’s all about the detail!

Master
    And here is precisely why I’ve been away from the forum for so long.

In summary:
    Buy number plates from an approved supplier.
    “Show plates” are for show, not the road.
    Compliant plates for use on the road are very, very straightforward.
    Stop arguing about stuff.

Sent from my calculator using a lawnmower.

Master
    Hi

I actually need to buy some new plates to transfer a registration onto my car. First thought was Halfords. Before I go ahead with that, where else is worth looking at? Not interested in funny spacing or even smaller than normal plates - just some regular plates for a 6 digit registration (7 if you include the space).

I didn't realise that if you went online to DVLA to assign the reg to your car that it took place almost immediately and therefore you need the plates ready to swop over.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Hi

I actually need to buy some new plates to transfer a registration onto my car. First thought was Halfords. Before I go ahead with that, where else is worth looking at? Not interested in funny spacing or even smaller than normal plates - just some regular plates for a 6 digit registration (7 if you include the space).

I didn't realise that if you went online to DVLA to assign the reg to your car that it took place almost immediately and therefore you need the plates ready to swop over.

Cheers
    I'd just go to Halfords TBH.