closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Coffee thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    I just can’t get excited about the niche. It looks like a toy, and has dubious build quality. Results certainly seem good for now, but how long they’ll last is my main concern.
    Whats makes you say that about the build quality? Have some been failing?

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post
    Whats makes you say that about the build quality? Have some been failing?

Have you seen one? It’s a set of decent burrs in a light cheap plastic housing, all those decent grinders weigh a ton for a reason!

Have you seen one? It’s a set of decent burrs in a light cheap plastic housing, all those decent grinders weigh a ton for a reason!
    A friend has one, I thought it was well made if a bit pricy. Apparent good construction is no guarantee of reliability. I know of 3 Mahlkonig Swiss made vario grinders that all died after a couple of years of home use (mine included) the Ascaso grinder I gave to my folks after supposedly upgrading to the Mahlkonig is still going strong 8 years later.

Mahlkonig are German, and the vario is only a few hundred quid, with plastic gears and pretty poor quality overall, there are far far better grinders.

Mahlkonig are German, and the vario is only a few hundred quid, with plastic gears and pretty poor quality overall, there are far far better grinders.
    FYI It is made in Switzerland.

The 3 grinders were deemed ‘uneconomical to repair’ mine was used once a day for 3 years, the others had a bit more use. It may have been only “a few hundred quid” but it’s far from entry level at twice the price f of a baratza, Rocky, Iberital MC2 or sage smart pro.

I agree there are better grinders that don’t end up in the bin after a couple of years, both for more money and for less.

This thread is a timely find for me as I just got myself a DeLonghi bean to cup machine. I know true aficionados don’t really rate them but for me it’s a huge improvement over pre-ground filter coffee. I’ll follow this thread with interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Possu View Post
    This thread is a timely find for me as I just got myself a DeLonghi bean to cup machine. I know true aficionados don’t really rate them but for me it’s a huge improvement over pre-ground filter coffee. I’ll follow this thread with interest.
    Don't buy stale beans from a supermarket order fresh beans online

Journeyman
    Plastic... too much plastic.
    you can read a good review about these automatic machines here.

Quote Originally Posted by kumm2004 View Post
    Plastic... too much plastic.
    you can read a good review about these automatic machines here.
    Thanks for the link, but I fear that the reviewer had too many prejudices for it to be an objective review. It's also 12 years old, and the technology within B2C machines has moved on quite a bit since then.

There's a lot of snobbery attached to coffee making, as well as a lot of people who seem to enjoy playing barista more than drinking the coffee. Plus there's always the attraction of a big shiny machine with lots of knobs and dials and gauges, no matter how difficult it may be to actually persuade it to dispense a decent tasting coffee.

I've no problem with plastic, it its place. It has lots of advantages over other materials - hence its wide-spread use in all sorts of products. I can't imagine you could find a car, a TV, a computer or all manner of other object which don't have a high proportion of plastic in them.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilipK View Post
    Thanks for the link, but I fear that the reviewer had too many prejudices for it to be an objective review. It's also 12 years old, and the technology within B2C machines has moved on quite a bit since then.

There's a lot of snobbery attached to coffee making, as well as a lot of people who seem to enjoy playing barista more than drinking the coffee. Plus there's always the attraction of a big shiny machine with lots of knobs and dials and gauges, no matter how difficult it may be to actually persuade it to dispense a decent tasting coffee.

I've no problem with plastic, it its place. It has lots of advantages over other materials - hence its wide-spread use in all sorts of products. I can't imagine you could find a car, a TV, a computer or all manner of other object which don't have a high proportion of plastic in them.
    My only problem with plastic is the direct contact with the coffee. To be honest, I don't know how is this Jura E8, but I saw some automated machines and there was direct contact between plastic and liquid. Regarding the snobbery, I agree with you and i assure you I'm not one of them... I'm using the same machine since 2012 and the same grinder since 2014.

Made by Knock are doing discounts on their range at the moment, I have a prototype aergrind which is great and a big improvement on the Hario/rhino.

all those decent grinders weigh a ton for a reason!
    I have a Eureka 65e. Let's just say I wouldn't want to drop it on my foot without steel toe caps on.