closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Reaching out to the TZ-UK massiv... can you help ?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Question Reaching out to the TZ-UK massiv... can you help ?

Hi all

Some of you may know that one of my son's is autistic. Despite whatever preconceptions you may have of people on the autism spectrum he is the most amazing kid. Utterly bonkers, but he's full of life and constantly happy... well, most of the time !

One of the traits of autistic kids is that they tend to get completely obsessed with things, to the extent that it's almost the only thing they can focus on... from Peppa Pig, to Papa's Pizzeria (a video game), to specific colour books, or a particular food. They're nearly as obsessed with things as watch collectors !
    Anyway, Shane is particularly obsessed with roller coasters. He watches endless videos on YouTube, makes them out of LEGO, and tries to draw pictures of them (he's almost 13, but with a mental age of around 5).

Since March all four of our kids have been stuck indoors (as have everyone's kids), but we promised Shane that once this is all over we'd take him and his brother to his favourite amusement park near Kettering called Wicksteed Park.
    He's been looking forward to it for months now. It's got a couple of decent size roller coasters and some kid-specific rides which he loves to bits.

Wicksteed Park went into administration earlier this week...
    Hi mum and I had to explain that it's closed as it was on the news and posted on their homepage which he looks at religiously to see when they're open.
    Needless to say, he is absolutely distraught. Shane has asked (told) me to build a big massive coaster in the garden, which obviously isn't going to happen, but if I could get him a roller coaster seat I can project a ride onto a projector screen in his playroom so that he can pretend.

This, TZ-ers, is where I really need your help...

Does anyone have any contacts in the theme park industry that could help me out with acquiring a single seat from a roller coaster, please ?

It doesn't matter what condition it's in, but I'd really like one with a pull down bar as that's what his favourite ride at Wicksteed has.
    Something like this would be ideal... maybe with some sort of buckle to stop the bar flying up, although I guess I could sort that anyway.

I've got no idea how much this is going to cost, but I've got to try as he's in bits and it's breaking our hearts to see him like this when he's usually so happy.

Thank you in advance,
    Daniel.

Here are a few pictures of Shane on some of the rides at Wicksteed Park, with his younger brother and one of his sisters... https://photos.app.goo.gl/uPRbwge2g1wJYYsA8

I unfortunately wouldn't know where to start with the seat (I tried eBay, but no dice), this sounds like a great chance for you to try out VR? You can get head mounts for smart phones, or buy something like the Oculus Quest and 'play' rollercoasters such as this free one: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/q...9465166734471/

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    I unfortunately wouldn't know where to start with the seat (I tried eBay, but no dice), this sounds like a great chance for you to try out VR? You can get head mounts for smart phones, or buy something like the Oculus Quest and 'play' rollercoasters such as this free one: https://www.oculus.com/experiences/q...9465166734471/

Now that is an awesome idea !! Nice one.

Would be even better sat in a genuine rollercoaster chair (if it allows enough head movement)... I'd still like to pursue acquiring a seat, but I will definitely look into VR.

Thank you !
    Daniel.

Why not a old car bucket seat? More comfortable than a ride seat.

something like this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAMBA-BUC...oAAOSwxs9dNuVp

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Send your story to the big players like Alton Towers, Thorpe Park etc in the UK and maybe Disney, Universal etc in the US. With a bit of luck, it will reach somebody with a big heart and they’ll sort something for you. Got to be worth a few emails.

Good luck.

Foggy

Have you tried calling the park itself?
    They have to maintain those rides and must have a fairly extensive set of spares...
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I know someone that works for Merlin, I'll drop him a line

Quote Originally Posted by amnesia View Post
    Now that is an awesome idea !! Nice one.

Would be even better sat in a genuine rollercoaster chair (if it allows enough head movement)... I'd still like to pursue acquiring a seat, but I will definitely look into VR.

Thank you !
    Daniel.
    The seating thing may be an issue - my Rift S doesn't have the battery pack of the Quest (the Go may be worth investigating too) but the strap and buckle assembly at the back does catch on my office chair which does impact immersion. A seat with out head support may work better, though wouldn't feel like a rollercoaster seat I'd imagine.

It's worth seeing if you and he enjoy the sensation of having it on your heads though - it can be quite claustrophobic for some people, and then there's the motion sickness which might be quite grim with rollercoasters as your eyes are seeing a heck of a lot of extreme movement, but your body is not feeling any such movement. Even VR walking can be too much for some people! I'm still not used to jumping after months of use.

Bought my kids those cheap VR goggles you can put your phone in. They had a great time watching VR rollercoaster videos.
    Totally understand how distraught he could be. My lad is autistic and sometimes falls in love with a long since discontinued toy he's seen on a youtube video and wants it, wants it bad. Last one was some star wars troop carrier toy that was out 10-15 years ago, they go for hundreds on ebay. We just have to ride it out, but he still mentions it every now and again
    Last edited by Brighty; 18th June 2020 at 10:37.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Have you tried calling the park itself?
    They have to maintain those rides and must have a fairly extensive set of spares...
    I think they have bigger things on their minds at the moment... I will try an email to a few of the others though. You never know...

Blog Entries
    Try to reach out to those guys: https://www.vekoma.com They're Dutch rollercoaster builders. I don't know them personally.

A phone call or email to their HQ can't hurt. I'm more than willing to give them a call on your behalf when it needs to be in Dutch.

And what about fair rides owners? Is their a fair rides owners guild? Or have you asked here? https://www.fun-fairs.co.uk
    Or a rollercoaster forum?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
    And he's replied - he's left them. Sorry.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Awesome - thank you !!

Quote Originally Posted by hughtrimble View Post
    The seating thing may be an issue - my Rift S doesn't have the battery pack of the Quest (the Go may be worth investigating too) but the strap and buckle assembly at the back does catch on my office chair which does impact immersion. A seat with out head support may work better, though wouldn't feel like a rollercoaster seat I'd imagine.

It's worth seeing if you and he enjoy the sensation of having it on your heads though - it can be quite claustrophobic for some people, and then there's the motion sickness which might be quite grim with rollercoasters as your eyes are seeing a heck of a lot of extreme movement, but your body is not feeling any such movement. Even VR walking can be too much for some people! I'm still not used to jumping after months of use.
    I'm sure he'll be fine... he's never had motion (or non-motion) sickness. Cast iron constitution as my mum would say.

Quote Originally Posted by Brighty View Post
    Bought my kids those cheap VR goggles you can put your phone in. They had a great time watching VR rollercoaster videos
    I think he'd get more out of a full VR set, but I'll have a look and see if you can still get Google Cardboard and give it a go.

Thanks for all the help & suggestions, friends - I love this place !

- - - Updated - - -

And he's replied - he's left them. Sorry.
    No worries - thanks for trying

I think they have bigger things on their minds at the moment... I will try an email to a few of the others though. You never know...
    Don't write them out yet Daniel. Yes they have big stuff on but so do you. They were probably not in the business just to make money. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if, after you explained your and Shane circumstances, they opened the ride just for him if it's technically possible and the insurances will play ball. It would also be good publicity and they may need that.
    The hardest thing will be to speak to the right person in the organisation. And the worst you can get is a "no".
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    Absolutely. Try someone in their PR / corp comms team. On Twitter / FB might be a good idea too, for added impact.

I don't live too far from Wicksteed Park, such a shame for them, its a brilliant place and will be a great loss to the area, if you do get to speak to them and need someone to pop in, let me know.
    All the best.
    Jason
    Cheers..
    Jase

Cheers

Simon

Ralph Waldo Emerson: We ask for long life, but 'tis deep life, or noble moments that signify. Let the measure of time be spiritual, not mechanical.

Craftsman
    Hi all

I've got no idea how much this is going to cost, but I've got to try as he's in bits and it's breaking our hearts to see him like this when he's usually so happy.

Thank you in advance,
    Daniel.

Just a thought and it maybe a bit easier and quicker to achieve could this idea from Andy G

Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Why not a old car bucket seat? More comfortable than a ride seat.

something like this. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAMBA-BUC...oAAOSwxs9dNuVp
    Be adapted with the help of a clever fabricator to make a pull down bar? A supporting rod through the bucket seat and bolt on fabricated bar? Obviously it would have to lock for realism and I'm sure a more clever man than me could work that out.

Apologies if already thought of Daniel but maybe it will help combined with the brilliant VR idea?

Cheers,

J
    Last edited by Cypjon; 18th June 2020 at 13:34. Reason: Missed a detail!

Rundles may be able to help - they're in the business of maintaining rides so might have old units they're replacing, or possibly be able to point you in the right direction.

They're in Boston so not a million miles from Peterborough - you can call them on 01205 480431 or there email address is sales@rundles.co.uk

I could possibly help with the adaption of a bucket seat if you choose that route - I know some good fabricators.

Good luck!

Master
    Have you thought about adapting a cheep racing sim seat like these?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/3631115?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=c290d9a9-b5d6-423c-841d-2a559621874c&istItemId=ixwlpwiwp&istBid=t&&cmpid=G S001&_$ja=tsid:59157%7Cacid:534-693-8244%7Ccid:9548734224%7Cagid:97250266505%7Ctid:pla-885170015459%7Ccrid:422732074979%7Cnw:g%7Crnd:7723 824281414433164%7Cdvc:c%7Cadp:%7Cmt:%7Cloc:9045822 &utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=954 8734224&utm_term=3631115&utm_content=shopping&utm_ custom1=97250266505&utm_custom2=534-693-8244&gclid=Cj0KCQjwoaz3BRDnARIsAF1RfLfx__lDcaPf6kV wBqQdGkt2tG0woSxfBR8LPNm0Ya6zVM3g_wsWshgaAmUrEALw_ wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or

https://www.box.co.uk/Playseat-Evolu...iry=1600260523

Get a fabricator to knock up a shoulder bar and lock it with same chain?
    Pad it with pipe lagging foam?

If you don’t know one I could ask about costs?

Craftsman
    If budget allows, a Buttkicker would be an awesome addition to any gaming or VR rig...

https://shakercentre.co.uk/buttkicker-gamer2.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Banned
    Blog Entries
    That's cool, but a bit outside of my budget, unfortunately.

I've emailed a few places today, and done research into VR headsets. Fingers crossed I hear from someone soon.

Thank you for all your help !

Sent from my OnePlus 6T using Tapatalk

ah, i really hope you get something sorted for him. I know the park, my daughter is 10 and loves the place, she will be disappointed to hear the news, i live about 30 mins or so away and has always been a fun place to go in the summer.

I cant add to the suggestions offered already, but i do think getting touch with Wicksteed pk. try this email address, he is/was a media guy for the park andrew@andrewturnerpr.com

They are very community focused and have supported a large number of charities, has to be worth a shot

Good luck

Dave

PS: VR is a great idea and the right kit will blow his socks off