closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Homage divers - which one?

Apprentice

Homage divers - which one?

Hi there. I’m looking to add a homage diver to my collection and love the 60/70’s inspired dive watches.

Two that catch my eye are the Oris Diver 65 (with the heavy lumed 3,6,9,12) or the new Certina DS PH200M (the 2020 model with blue/gold detail on dial and bezel).

Both look stunning to me and keen to hear any views on here if you have seen/own one of these for quality or reliability feedback.

Many thanks
    Mark

There are plenty out there and it all depends which original watch you want a homage to. There are plenty of milsub homages, Fifty Fathoms homages and to the Seamaster Vintage 300m etc.

Steinhart and Borealis both do excellent homages to classic watches. CWC would be also worth a look, but they are more original than homage as they are effectively copies of their own watches.

Personally, I would stick to a homage of a long out of production classic rather than something that looks to rip off an existing model.

Doubts have been expressed about the lume on the Oris 65

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/oris-di...-watch-review/

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by C0ders View Post
    Hi there. I’m looking to add a homage diver to my collection and love the 60/70’s inspired dive watches.

Two that catch my eye are the Oris Diver 65 (with the heavy lumed 3,6,9,12) or the new Certina DS PH200M (the 2020 model with blue/gold detail on dial and bezel).

Both look stunning to me and keen to hear any views on here if you have seen/own one of these for quality or reliability feedback.

Many thanks
    Mark
    I’d say they’re not so much homages but rather re-issues of their own models from the past?

I found the Oris 65 a little small for my 7 1/4” wrist, but then I was in a larger watch phase then, I’d probably feel a bit differently now.

I picked up a Doxa Sub 200 fairly recently, which at 42mm is my perfect size and I like the retro feel of it, especially in blue. I was looking at the PH200M as well, another handsome watch, but it was one or the other really.

I still think you can’t beat a Seiko SKX007 for a timeless classic dive watch, very versatile and unpretentious with it, which might be an attraction.

There are plenty of ‘boutique diver’ companies out there too, whose designs have usually more than just a nod to some of the classics. I’ve been particularly impressed by Helson stuff in the past (no idea if they’re still going or not) and also Straton seem to turn out some nice retro stuff.

Craftsman
    Of these, I'd pick Oris 65 any day, week, month, year, decade, century and so on.

I tried one on, and it was perfect on the canvas strap. I was on a holiday and the watch was earmarked to somebody else who was fetching their credit card. Showed up a couple of days later and they had forgotten to replace it and by then it was already time to go so I never made the purchase.

I liked:
    - Skin diver feel.
    - Thickness, lug to lug and size were nearly perfect for me.
    - Price

I disliked:
    - For some reason the model on the bracelet didn't sit that well.

Master
    I’ve already made up my mind that I’ll be getting the new blue Certina as soon as it is released. To me it looks stunning, and well priced compered to most similar Swiss offerings.

I’ve already had the first edition of this watch, so know how well made they are.