closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 46 of 178 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696146 ... LastLast
Results 2,251 to 2,300 of 8875

Thread: When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Quote Originally Posted by Montello View Post
    That’s true as they typically have enormous sums to stash that couldn’t simply be deposited safely at a bank.

For “normal” people cash deposits in banks are the normal safe places for cash subject to the FSCA limits of course.
    Agreed.
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    I'm exiting again today. Just cashed in my Fundsmith. Will leave Astra Zeneca and IAG in there as they will kaboom up (IMHO) else I've kept some healthcare trackers but even the tech stocks I'm unwinding as they are overvalued. Don't even get me started on Tesla. I don't think gold will be a safe haven whatsoever so I'm exiting my position but will keep some silver as a punt.

The crash part deux starts soon
    Crash part Deux on hold today

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Daveya. View Post

Absolutely, after a very weak opening last night the market once again found a foothold.

Dunno but my confidence remains at zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Raffe View Post
    Absolutely, after a very weak opening last night the market once again found a foothold.

Dunno but my confidence remains at zero.
    Understandable, the mess Trump is making of Covid plus it's hard to know if we are second waving all around the world or it's still the first wave yet to peak, seems the market remembers this every now and then and stocks its head in the sand in between

Master
    Blog Entries
    With all the new COVID cases in the USA I was not expecting markets up.

What will it take to make reality bite? Only one thing I suppose. Fed running out of ink.

Yep that was the good time to cash out as I pointed out in was going to do last week.

Understandable, the mess Trump is making of Covid plus it's hard to know if we are second waving all around the world or it's still the first wave yet to peak, seems the market remembers this every now and then and stocks its head in the sand in between

The real crash comes when the vaccine comes. Then we dont live in hope any more because once we have the cure the reality if the economic situation will become clear and that we have to start paying it back.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    The real crash comes when the vaccine comes. Then we dont live in hope any more because once we have the cure the reality if the economic situation will become clear and that we have to start paying it back.
    Most managers I talk to say that 80% has been priced into the future variables. So a 20% reduction is yet to potentially arrive, which it may or may not. Stick with what you have is my opinion. Equally, if a vaccine appears then the cracks will be papered over.

Master
    did I hear the numbers right on the BBC news

they are now hospitalising 5,000 CV-19 cases a day just in Texas - I do realise that Texas is a big place but numbers are rising rapidly

Craftsman
    Considered by whom?

Which would be the qualities that make gold a safe store of value? Since the abolishment of Bretton-Woods, there is no rational argument for buying gold as an investment any more than say copper or crude oil. The underlying demand (industrial and jewelery) is cyclical in nature and as such disqualifies gold as economic hedge.

The only reason people are buying gold in times of crisis is because they are expecting other people to do the same - simply because it's always been like this. Not a strong argument in my book.
    Central banks are buying and still hold massive quantities. If it was worthless to hold why do they continue to do so?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post
    Central banks are buying and still hold massive quantities. If it was worthless to hold why do they continue to do so?

I suspect they are told to

Quote Originally Posted by mangoosian View Post

Western central banks (US, UK, Germany, France, Italy) have sold massive amounts of gold over the last 20 years but those sales have petered out during the last years. however none of them is a buyer these days.

There are a number of central banks which currently have buying programmes, the top ten by size are: Russia, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Poland, China, India, Mongolia, Hungary, Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan. Dunno why they are buying (except for Russia, which is banned from keeping cash in any developed country due to sanctions), but they certainly aren't the central banks at the forefront of monetary policy.

Craftsman
    Western central banks (US, UK, Germany, France, Italy) have sold massive amounts of gold over the last 20 years but those sales have petered out during the last years. however none of them is a buyer these days.

There are a number of central banks which currently have buying programmes, the top ten by size are: Russia, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Poland, China, India, Mongolia, Hungary, Uzbekistan and Azerbaijan. Dunno why they are buying (except for Russia, which is banned from keeping cash in any developed country due to sanctions), but they certainly aren't the central banks at the forefront of monetary policy.
    Do we really want to be lauding the Western central banks for being at the forefront of monetary policy?

In any case, the Western central banks still see a role for gold, otherwise why not get rid of it all? They still see it offers some kind of value for them to keep on holding it.

Wirecard just touched EUR 9.74

I actually bought 20,000 shares at 1.25 and 1.18 on Friday as a recovery play - but then thought better than holding them over the weekend and sold at EUR 1.44 just after Friday's market close.

“Markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.”
    Usually attributed to John Maynard Keynes.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Wirecard just touched EUR 9.74

I actually bought 20,000 shares at 1.25 and 1.18 on Friday as a recovery play - but then thought better than holding them over the weekend and sold at EUR 1.44 just after Friday's market close.

Never complain about a healthy profit ... 20% on such a sort timescale isn’t to be sniffed at ... there are always better trades in hindsight.

I’m still scratching my head over the longer term prospects of the markets, seems like they are holding up and will continue to do so. Covid cases in the USA continue to ride at record levels yet the markets remain strong ... I’m starting to think maybe I have misjudged this ...

Never complain about a healthy profit ... 20% on such a sort timescale isn’t to be sniffed at ... there are always better trades in hindsight.

I’m still scratching my head over the longer term prospects of the markets, seems like they are holding up and will continue to do so. Covid cases in the USA continue to ride at record levels yet the markets remain strong ... I’m starting to think maybe I have misjudged this ...
    I am still convinced the market will sag eventually, but not before another round of shorts have been shaken from their trees it appears.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I am still convinced the market will sag eventually, but not before another round of shorts have been shaken from their trees it appears.
    What are your thoughts on timescales?

Wait until I get back into the market. At that point it will tank. I'm exiting the market today so expect a 10% increase tomorrow.

Master
    I keep getting tempted back in .....put in a limit buy order this morning for TW .........I keep selling Shares ......... but then get tempted back in .........It is not easy off loading shares and then just watching a static cash balance ......... not much fun in that
    Last edited by BillN; 3rd July 2020 at 08:56.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    It is not easy off loading shares and then just watching a static cash balance ......... not much fun in that
    Don't know, my watchlist is a sea of red today so i'm quite happy to see the healthy balance sitting there intact and ready to be deployed.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ~dadam02~ View Post
    Don't know, my watchlist is a sea of red today so i'm quite happy to see the healthy balance sitting there intact and ready to be deployed.
    deployed - how long before you get "tempted" - are you waiting for a clear signal that the market is falling significantly or when, (maybe if), some sort of stability returns.

I feel that I need to keep a reasonable spread of risk, but balanced to the current situation
    Last edited by BillN; 3rd July 2020 at 08:56.

Master
    Just been reading the usual stuff, collecting useless info maybe

since the beginning of the 2020, apparently

Oil is down - 37.3%
    Natural Gas down - 25.2% - (it was also down 26% in 2019)
    Corn down - 17.6%
    Platinum down - 17.1%
    Copper down - 5.9%
    Gold up by 13.4% - (up 18.7% in 2019)
    Last edited by BillN; 30th June 2020 at 14:16.

Blog Entries
    deployed - how long before you get "tempted" - are you waiting for a clear signal that the market is falling significantly or when, (maybe if), some sort of stability returns.

I feel that I need to keep a reasonable spread of risk, but balanced to the current situation, that why I feel that I will keep 50% in cash and the one rental property and maybe "play around" if that's the right expression on a weekly basis with a portion of the Funds and Shares that I have .......... certainly for the remainder of this year.
    Always tempted

No joke too but i'm just sitting on my hands atm, want to let this fresh US wave and the Leicester lockdown play out for a bit before making any rash moves.

Blog Entries
    Just been reading the usual stuff, collecting useless info maybe

since the beginning of the 2020, apparently

Oil is down - 37.3%
    Natural Gas down - 25.2% - (it was also down 26% in 2019)
    Corn down - 17.6%
    Platinum down - 17.1%
    Copper down - 5.9%
    Gold up by 13.4% - (up 18.7% in 2019)
    Did they mention silver?

Master
    Did they mention silver?
    No

Wait until I get back into the market. At that point it will tank. I'm exiting the market today so expect a 10% increase tomorrow.
    Yep, I could tell you were the market top will be by simply sharing my stoploss for the short DJIA position.

Blog Entries
    I see Tesla's on the rampage again today....

Master
    Today

Top Director Buys

Aston Martin Lagonda Global Holdings (AML)
    Director name: Stroll,Lawrence
    Amount purchased: 75,999,280 @ 50.00p
    Value: £37,999,640

Director name: Picciotto,Michael de
    Amount purchased: 4,000,000 @ 50.00p
    Value: £2,000,000

Top Director Sells

Amount sold: 25,826,008 @ 50.00p
    Value: £12,913,004

Master
    Today

Top Director Buys

Amount purchased: 75,999,280 @ 50.00p
    Value: £37,999,640

Director name: Picciotto,Michael de
    Amount purchased: 4,000,000 @ 50.00p
    Value: £2,000,000

Top Director Sells

Amount sold: 25,826,008 @ 50.00p
    Value: £12,913,004
    Apologies if its a stupid question, I could be missing something, but is that Aston Martin bit correct ?
    Why would a director buy AND sell on same day at same price ? Albeit for different amounts of shares, but still doesn't make sense to me 🤔

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by markrichardsonno9 View Post
    Apologies if its a stupid question, I could be missing something, but is that Aston Martin bit correct ?
    Why would a director buy AND sell on same day at same price ? Albeit for different amounts of shares, but still doesn't make sense to me 樂
    Fat fingers when typing in his order on his phone? Joking ... I have no idea

Those will be off-market block trades, maybe they are between different entities as the reporting only covers beneficial owners?
    Someone who lies about the little things will lie about the big things too.

Blog Entries
    Aren't those buys part of tbe most recent equity offering? Presumably Stroll participated but sold down a potion of his uptake in that offering once the shares were received (considering AML fell below the offer price yesterday)?
    Last edited by ~dadam02~; 1st July 2020 at 06:45.

Aren't those buys part of tbe most recent equity offering? Presumably Stroll participated but sold down a potion of his uptake in that offering once the shares were received (considering AML fell below the offer price yesterday)?
    You are correct.

Why there is a sell, no idea. Probably a technical reason.

Master
    Yes, I would think that's it - took up his allocation and then sold a part of his holding - could be to a third party or to a connected

will be interesting to see what happens to the share price, as since lock down it has been all over the place
    Last edited by BillN; 1st July 2020 at 08:35.

Master
    Interesting comment this morning

"Tesla investors are being urged to vote to remove Elon Musk, the electric vehicle company's founder and chief executive, from the board of the firm as anger mounts over his bonus deal that could pay him a record $55.8bn (£40bn). Pirc, an influential adviser to shareholders, including the UK's local authority pension funds, on Tuesday recommended that investors voted against Tesla's executive pay deal because it "unfairly enriches the chief executive". - Guardian"

Interesting comment this morning

"Tesla investors are being urged to vote to remove Elon Musk, the electric vehicle company's founder and chief executive, from the board of the firm as anger mounts over his bonus deal that could pay him a record $55.8bn (£40bn). Pirc, an influential adviser to shareholders, including the UK's local authority pension funds, on Tuesday recommended that investors voted against Tesla's executive pay deal because it "unfairly enriches the chief executive". - Guardian"

Tesla is a fraud. [1] [2] [3]

Anyone still thinking they are a car company should consider this: the board of directors have agreed to a compensation plan where the chief executive receives a pay package of USD 50 bln for a company, which has produced aggregate losses of USD 6.9 bln in it's lifetime. If we just take out the positive quarters out of that aggregate, they are USD 748 mln (still considerably less than the amounts of free emission certificates the company has sold to other carmakers). Want to know what the trigger for the bonus is? The company's market cap hitting USD 650 bln. Pesky old-fashioned numbers like free cash flow or profitability played no role in the allocation of the bonus. - What's their product?

Interesting reading raffe.

Presumably the inevitable endgame involves the total collapse of the company and loss of all investors’ money.

How long?

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    Interesting reading raffe.

Presumably the inevitable endgame involves the total collapse of the company and loss of all investors’ money.

How long?
    I am not so sure.

One scenario is certainly that. However, they are sitting on a lot of cash after their last equity offering and have options to invest, either into the development of manufacturing/technology or buying a traditional car company. There are so many options how this could play out it doesn't really make sense to map it out.

But one thing is certain: there is absolutely no reason this company has a market cap of USD 200 bln. I have been short Tesla either through options or outright shorts since autumn and if it wasn't for the huge sell-off in March, I would be looking at a mountain of losses. Takes a lot of stamina and tolerance for P&L fluctuations to bet against such a cult.

Nothing would surprise me about Musk. They way he treats people, remotely disabling fast charging after a customer has an accident I mean the man is nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Plake View Post
    How long?
    Based on my long past experience of my small company being acquired by a pump and dump merchant (if that’s what this is), the answer is pretty quickly once the principals have found a way to extract a chunk of cash out using means that aren’t available to the other shareholders.

For instance, selling their shares privately/secretly using them as collateral for loans (probably not possible for Musk given the regulatory scrutiny) or an extraordinary bonus scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Based on my long past experience of my small company being acquired by a pump and dump merchant (if that’s what this is), the answer is pretty quickly once the principals have found a way to extract a chunk of cash out using means that aren’t available to the other shareholders.

For instance, selling their shares privately/secretly using them as collateral for loans (probably not possible for Musk given the regulatory scrutiny) or an extraordinary bonus scheme.

Ahem. Musk has pledged more than half of his Tesla shares, worth over USD 18 bln, as collateral for personal loans.

What about zoom 70 billion market cap.................. For a fancy skype............................

Was there some kinda big shift in the euro earlier?
    My WTI had remained and then increased in price per share from close yesterday. However, it showed a -£34 in my return...just checked again now and it’s now +£1300 return (confused)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

Ahem. Musk has pledged more than half of his Tesla shares, worth over USD 18 bln, as collateral for personal loans.
    Ah, I didn’t know that. Who’d have thought it. Obviously not a secret. Presumably shareholders are happy knowing that even if Tesla is wiped out that Musk will still have benefited very substantially from it whereas they will have lost their money.

I don’t buy individual shares and haven’t followed the twists and turns of Tesla.

I don’t know what Musk’s intentions are, just recounting my personal experience.
    Last edited by alfat33; 1st July 2020 at 11:24.

When stocks rebound, WHERE best to invest?

I suspect Musk’’’s intentions are to leave with as much cash as possible squirrelled away in a variety of difficult to find locations.

Looks dismal for a lot of investors from where I’’m sitting.

Not sure why Tapatalk has an objection to apostrophes currently.

Quote Originally Posted by alfat33 View Post
    Ah, I didn’t know that. Who’d have thought it. Obviously not a secret. Presumably shareholders are happy knowing that even if Tesla is wiped out that Musk will still have benefited very substantially from it whereas they will have lost their money.

I don’t buy individual shares and haven’t followed the twists and turns of Tesla.

I don’t know what Musk’s intentions are, just recounting my personal experience.

Dig this: Tesla board of directors are happy with the company replacing the directors and officers liability insurance by Elon Musk's private promise to cover the board up to USD 100 Million. It is obviously backed by his private fortune which is the result of loans secured by his company stock. On top of it, they are paying him at least USD 1 Million per year for this. Any more questions?

LINKY

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelh34 View Post
    What about zoom 70 billion market cap.................. For a fancy skype............................
    Crazy market cap for Zoom.

It did acquire a number of new users when the world went into lockdown both on a personnel and professional basis. Although I doubt many of the users that used it for personnel meetings paid for a membership and just took advantage of the free 45 minute meetings. I feel the novelty of this has worn off and I expect most of this usage to fall away, especially when restrictions are eased. I went from Zoom calling a number of times a week to friendship groups to maybe once a fortnight now.

On a professional level Microsoft Teams will blow them out the water and is the reason why I bought Microsoft shares at $156 that are currently holding up well.

Time to short Zoom......?

Dig this: Tesla board of directors are happy with the company replacing the directors and officers liability insurance by Elon Musk's private promise to cover the board up to USD 100 Million.
    They sound a bit star struck.