closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cigars or cigarettes?

Cigars or cigarettes?

This is a bit of a stupid question but I feel I need to ask it :D

When I go out and have a few drinks with the lads I am very partial to having a smoke

I have been buying Cafe Creme's and having maybe 5 of an evening. My wife thinks it is a cop out because I used to smoke cigarettes up until 18 months ago but recently started having a few cigars.

My question is this, is smoking cigars a lot worse for you than the cigarettes (I realise both will kill me in the end :twisted: )?

If this is the case I would rather smoke a few fag's when I go out you see.

Your opinions are appreciated :lol:

Thomas Reid

Re: Cigars or cigarettes?

As always, it depends. How many (really)? What happens if you go a couple of weeks without any? I suspect that you already know the answer to the question you've asked, and are doing a bit of snake dancing (i.e., already have a conclusion, and looking for arguments to support it). ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

It is certainly not a stupid question:

Cigarette smoke can be inhaled but cigar smoke is not normally inhaled ... latter can be a relatively pleasant but quite expensive taste especially if a decent cigar.

Thus as far as inhalation is concerned cigars might be safer.

But ... smoking cigarettes or cigars results in smoke and carcinogens permeating the mouth and upper respiratory system ... and increases the chances/probablity of contracting oral cancer .. including tongue cancer, throat cancer, lip cancer and gums cancer.

Cigars give a longer smoke than a cigarette .. thus the risk of more carcinogens permeating your mouth than from cigarettes ... for the same number of complete smokes

Both cigarettes and cigars make your breath and your clothes smell foul ....

So depends on whether you want to smell like a stale cigar or a stale cigarette ... whether you inhale or not ... and what risk you attach to contracting oral cancer ..

Of course the latter is never going to happen to you ... but could it?

Cheers

dunk

PS ... I am a former smoker .. we often preach to the afflicted. And BTW ... after Robert Maxwell died his Rolls Royce was unsaleable because it was impossible to get rid of the smell of the stale cigar smoke. I once told a former g/f (who still works as a district nurse and still smokes) that she smelt like an old ash tray and the stink of her breath was putting me off kissing her ... she went ballistic and jumped out of bed and continued to have a hysterical fit ... point I'm trying to make is that smokers cannot smell their own breath and it can be most foul.
    "Well they would say that ... wouldn't they!"

I smoke cuban cigars only... maybe one per month.

I dont smell because i clean my teeth. Its only stale smoke that smells bad....fresh smells wonderful. So unless you have no class and re-light old Cigars you wont smell!

At one per month i'll take my chances...sometimes i even drive with out a seat belt too!

Cigarettes are terrible things though.. all those chemicals they add!

Ditch the cafe cremes and buy a box of Cohibas.. :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk
    Ditch the cafe cremes and buy a box of Cohibas.. :lol:
    Thing is, where would I get them from? Do they sell them on the net?

I'm in to the "big boys" but they take so damn long to smoke :wink:

The thing with the C.C.'s are you can inhale them like a cigarette, hence me asking this question. I dont fell bad in the morning after having them, unlike with the ciggie's which would make me barf up a lung in the shower on Sunday morning

There are hundreds of sites selling Cubans but i have one or two i trust. Pm if your interested..i'm not going to advertise for them.
    I defin would not inhale a cohiba!
    Cafe cremes just seem to be over before they begin... but i know in these smoking ban days its hard to find anywhere you want to spend 45mins so you can smoke a big boy.

Thomas Reid

There are hundreds of sites selling Cubans but i have one or two i trust. Pm if your interested..i'm not going to advertise for them.
    Cafe cremes just seem to be over before they begin... but i know in these smoking ban days its hard to find anywhere you want to spend 45mins so you can smoke a big boy.
    That's why God invented sheds. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob

I know Bob but half the fun is watching people disapproving of you. [i'm not sure that is a very well constructed sentence] :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by gilford
    The thing with the C.C.'s are you can inhale them like a cigarette
    That'll be unfiltered smoke then, which is probably worse than a filtered cigarette.

Master

The thing with the C.C.'s are you can inhale them like a cigarette
    they are cigarettes.

Smoking is Smoking, regardless of what you smoke.

I smoke both Cigars, and Cigarettes. I inhale both. I generally only smoke Cubans, and I smoke Lucky Strike Unfiltered.

I used to smoke about 10 to15 cigars per day. If Mrs. Vargas wasn’t allergic, and one of my dogs didn’t have asthma, I would still be smoking 10-15 cigars per day.

Cafe Creme’s are Mini-Cigars made by the Corona Cigar Company, they are supposed to be smoked like a cigar…which means to most people that you do not inhale them.

Generally speaking, from a health standpoint cigars are supposed to be less harmful than cigarettes, as cigarettes have added chemicals to them, while cigars do not.

Be wary of buying “Cuban” cigars online, you need a reputable dealer or person to buy from, as most are counterfeit.

Regards,

John

Master

Never smoke and never will. 8)

Doesn't matter what you smoke, it's bad for your health and crazy. You cannot argue for it. As for driving without a seatbelt, :roll: , some here may sense the old chestnuts coming out here re. my old career, but it's actually not worth comment.
    F.T.F.A.

Is this a Harry Enfield sketch........
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Although I cant stand the smell of tobacco smoke, when book shopping in London I do pop into a tobacconists on Charing Cross Road and buy a few empty wooden cigar boxes ... eg CAO brand ... some of them are very well made and make excellent storage boxes,

Cheers

dunk

Master

Cigars or cigarettes???

I used to smoke but dont now, however like you i do when i've had a few beers..................sometimes :D :D

The question of which one is simple really, which ever i can get my hands on at the time that others are willing to give me, so really not fussed :D :D

Do find though that for whatever reason a hangover feels much much worse if i've had a cigar or 6 :? :?

Nev

Give up smoking mate before it kills you

Master

As a strict non-smoker, I enjoy the odd passive cigar!

Master

. . . My wife thinks it is a cop-out because I used to smoke cigarettes up until 18 months ago but recently started having a few cigars . . . .
    I've always found that to be the best route back to full-time ciggy smoking. For me, it was a Castella or two which increased to a costly box of five a day followed promptly by a switch back to a pack of fags a day.

One Castella at the pub was two bob a.k.a. 10p back then. How much now? A quid?

Can of worms huh...

If your trying to give up, either Cigars or cigarettes...then dont smoke. Simple really.

My seatbelt remark was tongue in cheek...but the point i'm making is....i hate being told what i can or cant do..and i dont care if people get annoyed with me.
    I've lot count of the amount of people that have 'tutted' at me..or even loudly made comments...and this is just walking down the street.
    Do cigarette smokers get this?
    I choose to smoke cigars... and if i choose to drive without a belt or ride motorbike without a helmet or whatever its up to ME. Not the goverment or any other do-gooders.
    We have too many stupid laws and nannying already in this country.

By the way..one of the biggest negative changes is that when i go out for dinner...i cant sit in 'smoking'.
    I never smoked in 'smoking' areas....but it did almost guarantee you would'nt sit next to a load of noisy children!
    Shame.

James.

cannedheat

I enjoy a cigar from time to time, but, it has to be in the quiet and sweet home, maybe with a book and a spanish brandy ( Duque de Alba ) or maybe a great Glenmorangie ( what a delight )

for day to day i'd rather kill myself with marlboro.

i know, it's expensive and bad for your health, but it tastes sooooo bad that I love it.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by rfrazier

That's why God invented sheds. ;)

Best wishes,
    Bob
    I don't think I like the sound of smoking a "big boy" and the mention of doing it in a shed just sounds a bit 'George Michael' :lol:
    cheers
    Mark

Master

Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA
    One Castella at the pub was two bob a.k.a. 10p back then [in the early 80's]. How much now?
    Anybody know, please?

Bob Newhart's famous soliloquy about tobacco http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dsc2nQ3BCZA

Cheers

dunk

One Castella at the pub was two bob a.k.a. 10p back then [in the early 80's]. How much now?
    Anybody know, please?
    Here you go ...

Five Ways to Compute the Relative Value of a U.K. Pound Amount, 1830 to Present

Current data is only available till 2007. In 2007, £0.10 from 1981 was worth:

£0.28 using the retail price index
    £0.27 using the GDP deflator
    £0.42 using the average earnings
    £0.50 using the per capita GDP
    £0.55 using the share of GDP
    If you need help determining which result is most appropriate for you, see Choosing the Best Indicator to Measure Relative Worth.

Another Computation?

Citation

Lawrence H. Officer, "Five Ways to Compute the Relative Value of a UK Pound Amount, 1830 to Present", MeasuringWorth, 2008.

Please read our Note on Data Revisions.

Copyright Notice

Copyright © 2008 MeasuringWorth. All rights reserved. This work may be copied for non-profit educational uses if proper credit is given to the Institute. For other permission, please contact admin@measuringworth.org.

SO .. THANK YOU TO THE INSTITUTE ie here http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/

Cheers

dunk

Cigarettes are terrible things though.. all those chemicals they add!

Ditch the cafe cremes and buy a box of Cohibas.. :lol:[/quote]

Or Epicure No:2! I was a cigarette smoker until a few years ago, I am now a pipe and cigar smoker and I smoke only Cuban. IMO cigar and pipe smoking are slightly less risk than cigarette.

Master

Its a slippery path smoking those little cigars. I got back from Spain last saturday with a half smoked pack of mini Montecristo. They cost a small fortune in the UK for 20 cafe creme sized smokes but cost me 8 euro's in spain. I generally agree about Cubans. I really don't like cafe creme all that much, the smoke is harsh and thin even compared to mini cubans let alone a proper sized cuban. A few years back I got hooked on cigars after smoking the occasional cuban. I have a hard line now, only buy when I am on holiday and when this pack is gone that is it for the next couple of months.

I don't know but there is just something so pleasant about sitting in a Cafe or Tapas bar sipping Coffee or sherry and smoking cigars whilst enjoying the sunshine and watching the world go bye.