closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 126 of 363 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176226 ... LastLast
Results 6,251 to 6,300 of 18122

Thread: More bike related stuff

I use Sena and like it. Seems to be the main one and Cardo was left behind somewhat when Sena launched. I have the SMH10 on an old helmet and the 20S on the current.

Tony you're not going to put dual purpose tyres on the R9T are you?! Stay away from Bike Shed and Instagram

I’ve had a few sets of Metzler Torrance’s and do not expect any performance on trails, grass etc. I literally got stuck in the middle of a grass field in France after it rain a bit because the grass was too wet for the tire to get grip.

Tkc s are a great tire and once you stop be nervous about the ‘ wiggle’ and accept it’s a knobbly tire and so won’t feel the same in the road it’s actually very good at both. Not amazing at both but very good.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Tony you're not going to put dual purpose tyres on the R9T are you?! Stay away from Bike Shed and Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    I’ve had a few sets of Metzler Torrance’s and do not expect any performance on trails, grass etc. I literally got stuck in the middle of a grass field in France after it rain a bit because the grass was too wet for the tire to get grip.

Tkc s are a great tire and once you stop be nervous about the ‘ wiggle’ and accept it’s a knobbly tire and so won’t feel the same in the road it’s actually very good at both. Not amazing at both but very good.
    The TKC 70s are meant to be 70/30 (or perhaps 80/20) favouring road use. They have a substantially different (i.e. less knobbly) pattern to the 80s and don't really look anything like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I find them useful but mainly for using Waze so I can hear the warnings, and to listen to music on my long motorway commute. I have Sena integrated into a Shoei Air which works really well.
    Which version do you have? I've a Shark Spartan Carbon which is similar to my old Shoei GT-Air.

I use Sena and like it. Seems to be the main one and Cardo was left behind somewhat when Sena launched. I have the SMH10 on an old helmet and the 20S on the current.
    Sena certainly seems to be the most popular brand, but the Youtube lot (Missenden flyer etc etc) mostly seem to recommend switching to Cardo Packtalk.......any ideas why?

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Sena certainly seems to be the most popular brand, but the Youtube lot (Missenden flyer etc etc) mostly seem to recommend switching to Cardo Packtalk.......any ideas why?
    Channel sponsors (disclosed or otherwise) or old timers and stuck in their ways I would imagine.

Which version do you have? I've a Shark Spartan Carbon which is similar to my old Shoei GT-Air.

It’s a 10U designed for the helmet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PIERS (UK) View Post
    I'd highly recommend the Guzzi V7 - Here's my old one that was customised. ( Sold it and regretted ever since!).

- Quite small bikes
    - Not loads of power, but enough!
    - Loads of character and great sound
    - Mine didn't have great suspension, so I assume they have upgraded since, and I think the newer ones have ABS as well.
    - No chain so minimum maintenance.

I used mine all throughout the year in January etc when I didn't have a car at the time, it never let me down, which for me and Italian bikes is a first.

Piers
    They do look lovely, and the large fuel tank is a boon as id ride around the borders and Scotland so a few extra miles available would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Thanks Ian. I've considered most of them; some are too knobbly, one (the Tourance) doesn't come in the right size for my rear wheel and others don't seem to stack up against those on my list or aren't quite right for the use I envisage.

It's not easy to pin down the one to go with, actually.
    Is your rear a non-standard size?
    I ask because Metzeler Tourance seem to be, or were, the 'adventure' tyre of choice for BMW.
    https://www.metzeler.com/en-uk/produ...ze=&rear-size=

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    Is your rear a non-standard size?
    I ask because Metzeler Tourance seem to be, or were, the 'adventure' tyre of choice for BMW.
    https://www.metzeler.com/en-uk/produ...ze=&rear-size=
    Ah - there it is, thanks. Maybe it's the "Next" version that now fits the classic R9T; from memory the Scambler and Urban GS (which I believe have historically used the earlier Tourance) have a different size rear wheel.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Motorcycle Comms systems?

The only experience I've had was with Autocom back in 2008 with separate walkie-talkies and wires everywhere.....even then they were pretty useless. I had a great ride out yesterday with a younger friend and he has a Sena bluetooth setup which he pairs with everything and uses for chatting on various rides. He couldn't understand why I didn't have one too.

A quick trawl of the internet/Youtube suggests that the current best buys are Sena (various) and Cardo Packtalk. What's been the collective recent experience on here......is it something worth investing in? It's good to talk.....as Busby used to say.
    A few years back myself, my main ride buddy and one of my sons invested in an Interphone Tour system. For us, it was a total game changer, the ability to chat and have good banter on our bikes was amazing. Throw in the ability to receive calls, connect to bluetooth devices, I wouldnt be without one now. I currently have a Sena SRL integrated into my Neotec 2, and its paired to my mates Interphone. The ability to warn or advise your mates of any possible hazard is a great benefit, such as police spotted, safe to pass, crap on the road etc. The better ones have a decent range so even if you cant see your mates you are still in contact. I would also add I had one of the old wired jobbies many years back, very temperamental and unreliable. The new stuff is light years ahead.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

Tony another log on the fire

Ill leave this here

https://youtu.be/HufowXTlutE

Master
    Lastly Tony I would echo everyone’s comments on whilst TKC ‘s look cool parked up, they will not be nice to live with. Dual function tyres are noisy wear down fast and are squirmy when cornered hard. I know I have mates who love them..............Whilst riding in Morroco. I know I use em on my my GS.

Get the grippiest road tyre for Tangerine Dream and appreciate the stability, quiet, and length of time twixt new tyres.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by downer View Post
    Not sure if they are available/suitable for your bike, but I've had the Continental Trail Attack 3's on my GS for the last 6k miles (having replaced the stock Michelin Anakee Adventures after about 7k). The difference has been night and day. Of course I use my bike 95% on-road and that's where the tyres excel - but on the odd occasion I find myself off-piste, I've not had any concerns.

Here's a picture - and a review:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...-3-tyre-review

I will be replacing mine in a month or so and will definitely fit the same again.
    Another shout for the Trail Attacks. I have Conti Trail Attack 2’s on my Africa Twin and they are excellent on road whilst leaving a bit of capacity for mild off tarmac use if needed.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on Motorcycle Comms systems?

The only experience I've had was with Autocom back in 2008 with separate walkie-talkies and wires everywhere.....even then they were pretty useless. I had a great ride out yesterday with a younger friend and he has a Sena bluetooth setup which he pairs with everything and uses for chatting on various rides. He couldn't understand why I didn't have one too.

A quick trawl of the internet/Youtube suggests that the current best buys are Sena (various) and Cardo Packtalk. What's been the collective recent experience on here......is it something worth investing in? It's good to talk.....as Busby used to say.
    I’ve used Sena professionally for years. Very good kit. Reliable, good battery life. Good coms bike to bike and phone. The speakers aren’t hi fi but they’re good enough with all the other noise going on. Not cheap but highly recommended.

Master
    Just returned from over 2 weeks in the road. Our original plan was to reach Istanbul, but with Bulgaria and Greece closed (at least when we needed to cross pre-15th) we re-routed! To maximise time down south, we loaded the bikes onto the Motorail from Dusseldorf and used Austria as the start/finish point. Because of the favourable train arrival/departure times, we only transited Austria and avoided having to quarantine in Austria. The general itinerary was:
    UK Eurotunnel > Germany > motorail > Austria > Italy > Slovenia > Croatia > Serbia > Romania > Serbia > Montenegro > Croatia > Slovenia > Italy > Austria > motorail > Germany > Eurotunnel > home.

In all, we covered 4k miles of some of the most diverse and just fantastic roads on and off-road. Bike of choice? The GS. Forget sports tourers. The roads switch from ribbon smooth tarmac to broken, dirt, gravel, mud (or are non-existent), and the ability to switch instantly is nevessary. No other bike I know can carve fast sweepers at 51degrees of lean, navigate broken tarmac along single lane width mountain roads, or go off-road up and down mud/rocks.

I will let the pics do the talking...

Motorail selfie

We headed south and covered 3 days of the Italian Dolomites taking in all the main passes and some very small obscure ones - especially towards the east including the Forcella Lavardet and others.

Timmelsjoch

Passo Gardena

Forcella Lavardet - one of th real highlights, 50km offroading down a lesser known trail. The Eastern Dolomites are special.

We covered the Vrsic Pass in Slovenia and headed up to the top of the Mangart. Incredible views.

Crossed the hard border into Serbia and discovered the vast climb of people out of poverty from years of war.

Then to Romania where we would be based in Sibiu for 3 nights days to explore the beautiful country. Must go back as it needs more time.

From local modern machinery...

To the beautiful tourist squares of Sibiu

To the mighty Transfagarasan

The Vidraru Dam where Clarkson and TopGear spent the night

The Transalpina

And the DN66A through Cerna-Sat where it was 100km offroad through some beautiful but also seriously hard ‘3 people to pull the bikes out of the mud’ mountain routes if you didn’t have full offroad knobblies.

But after a whole afternoon of the gravel rocks and mud, it was soon back to this and more 51degrees of lean

We crossed into Serbia where there were derelict factories and remnants of what looked like the Gulag.

Then onto the stunning sweeping roads of Montenegro through amazing gorges, valleys, and varied terrain

On our return, we came up the Adriatic Sea and spent quality time on and off the bikes in Split, Croatia.

We headed to Krka National forest where over 15degrees downhill incline on deep loose rocks defeated us and we spent ages trying to turn back in 30degrees C. We just didn’t have the right tyres for the job, and it was so steep that the engine would turn against compression downhill!

But we made it out and ended the evening at thr Tiki bar on the beach

Heading north through the forests, we set the navs back for our return to Austria via the Grossglockner

But weather closed in at it was snowing and 1.5C at the top which made it tough going on tyres that were already shagged after over 3k miles of hard riding and were now down to the wear bars.

We loaded up the motorail again and are glad to be home safe and sound. It was an epic trip. So many memories. Still buzzing from sensory overload. Need to decompress a bit, and back to reality!

Lots of lessons learned as always from a trip like this. But will be doing a similar trip to this again - and hopefully reach Istanbul!
    Last edited by spareparts; 21st July 2020 at 08:46.

Looks fabulous
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Fabulous trip and great pictures. Thank you for sharing
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    WOW. Awesome road trip.

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Ill leave this here

https://youtu.be/HufowXTlutE
    Oooh

Great photos, by the way, Adrien - what a trip!
    Last edited by learningtofly; 21st July 2020 at 14:35.

Master
    What a fantastic road trip....looked awesome

My crappy effort over the evo triangle..浪

Master
    Amazing trip Spareparts! Thanks for the write up

Master
    WOW! That scenery looks epic. What an amazing trip.
    And looks like some challenging terrain as well.
    Thanks for sharing.

Master
    So many memories! The diversity of terrain, the laughs when we all capsized at one time or another offroad, and perhaps one of the best was when the local chap came trundling along on his 50cc stepthrough whilst we were trying to navigate a muddy water filled crested corner. He simply carried on and used his feet to get him through! Here we were with £55k worth of the latest bikes, equipment, stuck in the mud, and he just carried on through. It was just brilliant lol!

Some thoughts: Sena comms between the 3 of us worked really well throughout. The right tyres for the conditions are paramount... but sadly I don’t think a single tyre exists that would cover both the fast road/track riding, the diatance, and the rocks and mud we went through. The Pirelli Scorpion Trail2s I had for the trip were outstanding for all the sealed road stuff at 51degrees of lean, fine for the light trails, but failed in the mud and deep loose rocks where full knobblies were needed. After 4k miles fully loaded, they still have another 1k miles... perhaps. I will switch to Scorpion Trail STRs for my next set.

Border controls: even at the hard borders with Serbia/Romania/Montenegro we had no issues. Returning to the UK: the locator form was pre-filled, but UK border control are not checking them! They just ask if you did it but do not ask for evidence. Soft borders - zero checks anywhere. Borders which were supposed to be closed between Austria and Slovenia are not closed.

PPE is necessary throughout Europe. They take it far more seriously than the UK does. Even in the most remote villages of Serbia people wore masks everywhere. You need a mask in every hotel/shop etc you enter.

Thanks for sharing Adrien, looks like an amazing trip!

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    That looks AMAZING Adrian

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Gurmot View Post
    Another shout for the Trail Attacks. I have Conti Trail Attack 2’s on my Africa Twin and they are excellent on road whilst leaving a bit of capacity for mild off tarmac use if needed.
    Michelin Pilot road 5 trails on the Tiger. Replaced Avon Trail Riders. Each tyre change over the last 9 years has been an incremental improvement. There really is no comparison with tyres of say even 10 years ago.

Journeyman
    Looks great Adrian!

Nice little write up!

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Ah yes, that's the bit we saw as well.

But at least the lad has the sticker on his top box!

Brilliant journey; well done!

Some thoughts: Sena comms between the 3 of us worked really well throughout.
    I did a similar trip in 2008 from St Albans down to Fethie in Turkey. We were all on a mix of BMW GS's too. We used the old Autocom comms equipment which was frankly useless.

Which of the Sena units did you use, where they all the same?

Excuse for a gratuitous pic of me just outside of Split Croatia......

Master
    I did a similar trip in 2008 from St Albans down to Fethie in Turkey. We were all on a mix of BMW GS's too. We used the old Autocom comms equipment which was frankly useless.

Which of the Sena units did you use, where they all the same?

Excuse for a gratuitous pic of me just outside of Split Croatia......

All the Sena units were different! Mine is the SC10u, another was a rebranded AGV (Sena) unit, and the other another rebranded Sena by X-Lite. They all had different controls, but the group intercom function just works. Riders can drop in/out and it seemed reliable throughout. Apparently, it works even better with the new Mesh function - but that requires the latest versions.

Just returned from over 2 weeks in the road. Our original plan was to reach Istanbul, but with Bulgaria and Greece closed (at least when we needed to cross pre-15th) we re-routed! To maximise time down south, we loaded the bikes onto the Motorail from Dusseldorf and used Austria as the start/finish point. Because of the favourable train arrival/departure times, we only transited Austria and avoided having to quarantine in Austria. The general itinerary was:
    UK Eurotunnel > Germany > motorail > Austria > Italy > Slovenia > Croatia > Serbia > Romania > Serbia > Montenegro > Croatia > Slovenia > Italy > Austria > motorail > Germany > Eurotunnel > home.

In all, we covered 4k miles of some of the most diverse and just fantastic roads on and off-road. Bike of choice? The GS. Forget sports tourers. The roads switch from ribbon smooth tarmac to broken, dirt, gravel, mud (or are non-existent), and the ability to switch instantly is nevessary. No other bike I know can carve fast sweepers at 51degrees of lean, navigate broken tarmac along single lane width mountain roads, or go off-road up and down mud/rocks.

Lots of lessons learned as always from a trip like this. But will be doing a similar trip to this again - and hopefully reach Istanbul!
    What a great adventure - puts my ride down to the Sussex coast to shame

It was hot on the coast:

Master
    My trip tomorrow is sorted

Master
    Blog Entries
    What he said,stick with proper gripping road tyres my favourite are Bridgestone BT03s I know exactly what they can do they last around 5,000 miles and give confidence in all weather.

I rode the forgotten world highway with a full laden bike using them and rode other appalling gravel strewn roads in NZ this year.
    The formula is simple gravel or poor road slow down,slow down a lot,dual tyres won’t save you.

Hmmm... maybe those hipsters are getting to me after all

Having ridden with my new Bell Custom 500 open face yesterday, I can confirm that the hipster thing is definitely a young man's game.

The way the helmet gathers several chins that I was only vaguely aware of and boldly presents them to the world is astonishing and depressing in equal measure.

A full face helmet would make me 20kg younger.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Having ridden with my new Bell Custom 500 open face yesterday, I can confirm that the hipster thing is definitely a young man's game.

The way the helmet gathers several chins that I was only vaguely aware of and boldly presents them to the world is astonishing and depressing in equal measure.

A full face helmet would make me 20kg younger.

That's one weird kink you've got there,Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    That's one weird kink you've got there,Tony.

Very svelte

hipsters ride bikes to look good (well their opinion of good) , i guess it comes down to whether you want to conform to a certain style or actual have the bike perform as it was intended (there is nothing wrong with either, each person has their own reasons for riding)

each to there own but open face helmets make me shudder every time i see one , you mayaswell wear a colander for all the protection they provide.

Great looking helmet...perfect for a warm day.
    I had something similar in my teens, can't remember the make though.
    Thought I was the cats whiskers with my Foster Grants.
    Cruising through town one sunny afternoon, I looked back over my shoulder, the wind snatched the sunnies off my face.
    I stopped and watched in horror as they got run over.

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    each to there own but open face helmets make me shudder every time i see one , you mayaswell wear a colander for all the protection they provide.
    Broadly I agree (I'm doing everything broadly at the moment). The vast majority of the time I'm wearing a rather pricey Arai full face because I want the protection.

Having the bikes garaged in more than one location sometimes results in me having bikes but no helmet, so having a spare lid may reduce that occurrence. Though yesterday was an exception, usually my meanderings in Wiltshire (where the Bell will be) are on the Triumph and at speeds barely in excess of the speeds I reach on my pushbike wearing a relatively very flimsy cycle helmet.

Rest assured that for longer or faster trips the full face Arai will be the helmet of choice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Cruising through town one sunny afternoon, I looked back over my shoulder, the wind snatched the sunnies off my face.
    I'd be somewhat disappointed if my Oakleys got run over, but they are a very snug fit within the helmet so I don't think they are going anywhere in a hurry

Note - I have a range of lenses that I interchange to suit the lighting conditions from perfectly clear (winter day and at night), light tint (winter day, spring, autumn), dark tint and bolder colours (summer); all lenses are original Oakley or Revant Optics because of their impact testing. I wouldn't want to use glass or fragile plastic lenses.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tifa View Post
    Great looking helmet...perfect for a warm day.
    I had something similar in my teens, can't remember the make though.
    Thought I was the cats whiskers with my Foster Grants.
    I had a pair of Halcyon goggles on my Davida, lifted them off at about 40 mph To put on the front of the helmet, woosh straight off. Stopped within 100m , not before the ONLY car behind me turned them into a mass of crushed rubber and plastic.

I bought a second pair, hardly use them, I wonder why!

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    I had a pair of Halcyon goggles on my Davida, lifted them off at about 40 mph To put on the front of the helmet, woosh straight off. Stopped within 100m , not before the ONLY car behind me turned them into a mass of crushed rubber and plastic.

I bought a second pair, hardly use them, I wonder why!
    https://www.urbanrider.co.uk/dmd-goggle-retainer.html

hth

Have you got the big waxed beard yet?

The only time I've worn an open face helmet was when I did the 2 week Vietnam tour with my lad. Too hot to wear full face. Too hot to wear much PPE at all to be honest. I'm not proud of it but I was riding in shorts & t-shirts (+ lid, gloves & boots) all the time it wasn't p1ssing down with rain.
    Last edited by andy tims; 22nd July 2020 at 10:26.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57