closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: A new grail

Master

A new grail

I think I’m a little bit in love with this JLC chronograph. I wonder where the used price will settle?

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ja...ar-introducing

BC7F8C99-48B5-4418-A8FB-892B30D51511 by Berty234, on Flickr

Master
    Absolute stunner!

I like that

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Shame the tail of the chrono hand will sit across the moonphase when it is zero’d. Otherwise lovely if a bit busy.

Master
    That watch is stunning. Lovely colour and well balanced dial. Beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    I think I’m a little bit in love with this JLC chronograph. I wonder where the used price will settle?

If for some reason you buy this....I'm taking credit

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Shame the tail of the chrono hand will sit across the moonphase when it is zero’d. Otherwise lovely if a bit busy.
    I just had a look how Patek dealt with the issue on their complication watches, seems the tail is a bit shorter. Interesting - the hands on here, seems a dummy movement as we see no pics of the chrono hand reset - https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/ja...-introducing-2

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    If for some reason you buy this....I'm taking credit
    Haha yes indeed :)

Journeyman
    That's lovely.

I wonder if they'd take a wife and kids as a part trade...

from the photo it looks like the hands and dial are near same color. If that was on a cheap watch people would bash it for that probably

Craftsman
    Stunning watch and one i had on my radar when first announced but going a different direction just now with sports and dive watches. A real stunner.

Master
    I wish GS would take note of how you can subtly add lume to hands without losing any of their elegance.

I wonder why they chose a pulsations scale for this one?

Craftsman
    It’s an absolute stunner I agree. No doubt there’s a lot going on across the dial, but I think they have done a tidy job of it. The point made about the tail of the Chrono hand is a good one, though. Regarding the hand / dial contrast I have a feeling this will be ok when seen in the flesh. I have the old JLC master control Chrono and the polished hands are reasonably easy to distinguish from the dial.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by gcleminson View Post
    I wish GS would take note of how you can subtly add lume to hands without losing any of their elegance.

Could it be because they’ve realised that a speedometer is the most pointless and useless graduation you can have?
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Craftsman
    To attempt answer your earlier question, JLC resale is soft, so once the hype dies down I think this one will become (relatively) affordable. I’d say you will be able to pick one up for 9k in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    Could it be because they’ve realised that a speedometer is the most pointless and useless graduation you can have?
    Indeed, pulsation is at least more practical.

Craftsman

They have had pulsometer scales on their chronos for ages. I guess they think JLC customers are more concerned with health and well-being than racing car timing!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyp View Post
    Indeed, pulsation is at least more practical.
    That's a bit of a stretch! Agree the tachymetre's pretty pointless, but I'd hardly call a pulsometer useful either.

Master
    A long term trio of a Speedy FOIS, Zenith El Primero tricolour and this could be the dream (just this to go).

The resting seconds hand tail over moon phase is a bit annoying though.

That's a bit of a stretch! Agree the tachymetre's pretty pointless, but I'd hardly call a pulsometer useful either.
    Ha, I agree, no argument. I should have been more specific "a tiny bit more practical."

Craftsman
    Have to agree it looks great, very well balanced design of the face and well executed.

Would love to try one on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a handsome watch, no doubt.

Only thing I'm not sure about is the silver 12. It looks a bit 'lost' against the dial.

M

PS, I guess the second hand tail over the moonphase seems a bit strange, too - I'd say a bit of an oversight, but surely no-one overlooks things on a watch at this price from a manufacturer like JLC?
    Last edited by snowman; 22nd July 2020 at 13:45.
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I’m not into chronographs as much these days, but that is elegantly restrained.

It used to be called a doctor's watch, because it was indeed very practical. Just like a tachymeter scale was useful when car speedometers were a bit erratic, and you had mile (or kilometre) markers on the side of the road.
    The third scale I can think of is the telemeter scale, which arguably would be the most useful if you like to know how far from you the thunder struck, and whether it's closing in or passing you by.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

Master
    I think this needs to be seen and handled in person. I’ve only seen pictures and mainly renders and whilst very balanced, I think it can look a bit too safe and slightly boring, but in person I would like to think the quality would shine through.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    It used to be called a doctor's watch, because it was indeed very practical. Just like a tachymeter scale was useful when car speedometers were a bit erratic, and you had mile (or kilometre) markers on the side of the road.
    The third scale I can think of is the telemeter scale, which arguably would be the most useful if you like to know how far from you the thunder struck, and whether it's closing in or passing you by.
    Thanks SJ, I know what they’re for, but it’s arguable whether they were anything more than a novelty even back in the 50’s & 60’s. I wasn’t aware JLC have a history of using a pulsation scale though.

Another medical scale I’ve seen before is a breaths / breathing scale; and I’ve seen a decimal scale before too (0-100) but can’t think what that would be used for..?

It is nice and I love the brand, but as already stated, the silver hands are a little lost against the silver dial.

Thankyou for sharing this superb chronograph may You enjoy it in wonderful health.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boeingdriver View Post
    Thankyou for sharing this superb chronograph may You enjoy it in wonderful health.
    ?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
    Yep. Picture from fratello.

That is really quite beautiful

D

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craftsman
    The Fratello pic shows that there isn’t a legibility issue with the silver hands on the silver dial. That’s a step in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by WatchFanUK23 View Post
    The Fratello pic shows that there isn’t a legibility issue with the silver hands on the silver dial. That’s a step in the right direction.

There will be in most light conditions. That photo is angled to show the hands looking their absolute best.

I owned a silver dial, silver hands JLC RDM in the past and it was an absolute pain to read most of the time, so I sold it.

Another photo for comparison.
    Last edited by j111dja; 28th July 2020 at 14:59.

Craftsman
    Yeah I was going to say it might be difficult to see the time..it's a busy dial to

as a certified JLC fanboy i can only say i think this is a lovely watch. Busy yep but a refined busy to my eye. The hands contrast to the dial is an interesting point, im not sure because of the light and angles you look at when on the wrist this will be much of an issue as many many dress watches with silver dial / steel hand combos are a tried and tested combo, but truth is always seeing it the flesh. Id happily have one of these although i am not a fan of the strap at all. I also prefer the gold version. But at the cost of the gold version i cant help thinking id be going for something else instead. Great on steel, preferred on gold but because of price would consider other watches over this.

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post

BC7F8C99-48B5-4418-A8FB-892B30D51511 by Berty234, on Flickr
    That's a very attractive watch

If they had blued the hour markers and hands, I think it would have been absolutely stunning. The same could be said if the dial was black with that hand set and hour markers (and all black lettering and numbers in white).
    Last edited by j111dja; 30th July 2020 at 00:04.