closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Peloton alternative spinning bike help!

Master

Peloton alternative spinning bike help!

Both myself and my wife have decided to quit the gym and set up a small gym in a spare room. A part of this is to use the Peloton app with our own bike. We are new to looking for spinning bikes and it looks like a minefield. The goal is to spend no more that £600. This looks possible but I appreciate we could easily spend multiple ££££. It looks like a cadence monitor can be bought separately if needed for only £50 ish so that's ok.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Stu

My wife uses a Keiser M3 and I use a Pro-form TDF, both seem to work well I don't know what the used market is like,

You could get a proper bike and put it on a turbo trainer. With the right turbo you can access online cycling services eg zwift etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Master
    Not keen on the real bike option.

This seems to be as good option? Magnetic resistance, belt and not chain driven, LCD for key info, tablet and water bottle holder etc.

https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...oor-cycle.html

This is another option....

https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...s&siteid=87697
    Last edited by Stuno1; 22nd July 2020 at 13:01.

Master
    I looked at a these a while ago. Decided belt driven, magnetic resistance & a heavy flywheel. Looked at some similar to yours (can’t recall), but then became hooked on the style of the Keiser as would always be visible in the office.

I then did a spinning class & decided I hated every second of it! Best £1000+ I ever didn’t spend!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mj2k View Post
    I looked at a these a while ago. Decided belt driven, magnetic resistance & a heavy flywheel. Looked at some similar to yours (can’t recall), but then became hooked on the style of the Keiser as would always be visible in the office.

I then did a spinning class & decided I hated every second of it! Best £1000+ I ever didn’t spend!
    Haha! My wife definitely likes spinning. It will be new for me.

Master
    I imagine some gyms will be selling off spin bikes due to ykw. Ours is/has.

Master
    As SJdavies has said I wouldn't rule out Zwift and a conventional road bike plus turbo. The Zwift community is apparently large and many of the pro teams Utilise it for training. Plus if you feel your cycling is improving you can get out on the roads with your wife.

I would have thought the set up cost , static trainer versus roadbike and smart turbo would be slightly higher for the latter, however I dont know how Peloton/ Zwift compare per month.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    I imagine some gyms will be selling off spin bikes due to ykw. Ours is/has.
    On for sale in our LBS today £250

Lastly don’t forget to budget for a mahoosive fan , as indoor training at home , especially in the winter is warm.
    Last edited by higham5; 22nd July 2020 at 19:41.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries
    I use my cheap turbo trainer £20 along with a blue sc sensor from wahoo and I have my Garmin for my HR ...it all works a treat and connects to zwift no probs

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Master
    https://www.jtxfitness.com/jtx-cyclo-studio-bike

We had one of these solid piece of kit and used an Apple TV to get the peloton app, I absolutely hated spinning so once the wife stopped using it I sensed my chance and sold it lol. I’ve since bought a rogue echo bike (assault bike on steroids) and massively prefer it as does the wife now after she finished telling me how she was planning to start spinning again blah blah lol. The jtx was solid though really well put together added a cadence from wahoo and the heart rate strap we already had so that everything came up on the phone in front of you. Not quite the same experience as a proper peloton but a very goodway to try out and see if peloton was worth buying for us, obviously it wasn’t and the echo bike is much better suited.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bootneck View Post
    https://www.jtxfitness.com/jtx-cyclo-studio-bike

We had one of these solid piece of kit and used an Apple TV to get the peloton app, I absolutely hated spinning so once the wife stopped using it I sensed my chance and sold it lol. I’ve since bought a rogue echo bike (assault bike on steroids) and massively prefer it as does the wife now after she finished telling me how she was planning to start spinning again blah blah lol. The jtx was solid though really well put together added a cadence from wahoo and the heart rate strap we already had so that everything came up on the phone in front of you. Not quite the same experience as a proper peloton but a very goodway to try out and see if peloton was worth buying for us, obviously it wasn’t and the echo bike is much better suited.
    Thanks for the reply. I have already ordered the Schwinn so let’s see how it goes!

Blog Entries
    I would just like to bump this please

Can I check the following please

- I can buy a spin bike (any brand)
    - stick an iPad on the front of it
    - join peleton

How can I connect the output of the bike to the live peleton class if it isn’t specifically a peleton bike?

Cheers
    Ben

Master
    This might point you in the right direction

https://www.cnet.com/health/diy-pelo...-on-the-cheap/

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    This might point you in the right direction

https://www.cnet.com/health/diy-pelo...-on-the-cheap/
    That’s super helpful - I wonder how you can get the cadence and heart rate data in to the peleton app?

My wife would like one but I baulked at the £2k price!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    That’s super helpful - I wonder how you can get the cadence and heart rate data in to the peleton app?

My wife would like one but I baulked at the £2k price!!!
    The £2k (or £1,750) for Peloton isn't the worrying cost, it's the £45pm after!

You can also get any spin bike attach some Bluetooth pedals and download Zwift. Worth considering as an alternative to Zwift.

We got the Wahoo bike as we could change settings to share it and my wife wouldn't allow my bicycle indoors. Does she use it? Not a chance "I just wanted a simple spin bike but no, you had to get involved"

Mrs Bert got us a Peloton bike about a year ago, I thought it was a touch extravagant, but I’m on it every day now, I think it’s amazing, the classes are great, and I use it much more than I thought, I was at the gym 3 days a week tops before, now on it every day. So.... it’s expensive, but can be worth it.

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

- join peleton

How can I connect the output of the bike to the live peleton class if it isn’t specifically a peleton bike?

Cheers
    Ben
    Yes you can and indeed I just did a spin session this morning in the same fashion. We don't do the live classes, we just choose a video and crack on. Only difficulty is figuring out what their numbers equate to when they say "turn resistance up to 45" and so on. We have a fairly basic spin bike with no digital read-outs (that work!) so it's slightly guess work and making it as hard as you feel you need to get a good workout. It does get easier relatively speaking to make it progressively harder as the instructor says "now turn up to resistance 60" as you can make it proportionally tougher than before.

Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    Mrs Bert got us a Peloton bike about a year ago, I thought it was a touch extravagant, but I’m on it every day now, I think it’s amazing, the classes are great, and I use it much more than I thought, I was at the gym 3 days a week tops before, now on it every day. So.... it’s expensive, but can be worth it.
    Same - one of the best things I've ever bought. Fantastic, been a godsend in lockdown and use the app as well as the bike just as much.

Expensive - but just superb. The £39 a month is not an issue in my mind at all. If I had the room, I'd be buying the treadmill as well

I bought an ex Gym one years ago from ebay.

Paid about £250 - £300 and the Retail price is about £3000.

Its epic, exactly like the proper Gym ones because it is a proper Gym one lol.

Risky though i guess, some will have been used to death i supose

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by junglebert View Post
    If the mention of £45 PM is correct plus the actual cost of the equipment,that far exceeds any monthly payment Ive ever made at any gym ive been a member off!,and I have the choice of every piece of equipment not to mention the classes.

But I do have a spin bike with a tv in front of it,I use you tube for cycling related vids simply to relieve the sheer boredom whilst using it in the conservatory,it would never replace the gym.....ever.

Same for us. Just bought one and the whole family have been using it for bike, cardio, yoga, barre , meditation and I've also done some of their outside interval runs which are pretty good.
    Thats two adults and a 17 and 14 year old so £39 per month is very good value. Gyms around here, Berkshire, are way more than that for one person. When they are open that is.

The one benefit we have seen is that its so easy to just walk into the garage and hop on or doo a floor based class.

I've just bought a £30 Roku for the wall mounted TV in the gym so we can cast sessions from the bike - works brilliantly.

Yes the bike is expensive and a bit overpriced. But I see it like Apple - it just works and is dead easy to do.

I originally had it on an old spin bike with a cadence meter. It worked quite well but the rest of the family didn't want the faff of connecting everything together. Now they just jump on an go.

If it was just me I'd have looked into a decent magnetic resistance bike and use with a tablet. But, this would be about £1000+. So it was worth getting the bike. I suspect the resale value on these will be very good so should't lose too much if it ends up collecting dust.

Quote Originally Posted by senwar View Post
    Same - one of the best things I've ever bought. Fantastic, been a godsend in lockdown and use the app as well as the bike just as much.

Expensive - but just superb. The £39 a month is not an issue in my mind at all. If I had the room, I'd be buying the treadmill as well

Blog Entries
    Thanks for all the helpful responses! Should I have expected anything less?

£39 a month just feels mental to me and £2k??? Not at this stage

It’s not a no for all time - just for now

I basically wanted to track adoption before laying out serious cash!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    The £2k (or £1,750) for Peloton isn't the worrying cost, it's the £45pm after!

You can also get any spin bike attach some Bluetooth pedals and download Zwift. Worth considering as an alternative to Zwift.

We got the Wahoo bike as we could change settings to share it and my wife wouldn't allow my bicycle indoors. Does she use it? Not a chance "I just wanted a simple spin bike but no, you had to get involved"
    This sounds very interesting as it’s gives you that potentially more ‘immersive’ feeling

There seems to be great value on eBay for some bikes (even some on Amazon too) for around the £300 mark

Wahoo Pedals for £50 (I am guessing the fit is pretty much universal)

£12 a month for swift and wahoo automaticity synchs with Zwift to give you real-time feedback on the class

Stick an iPad somewhere in the vicinity and away you go!

Could be a solution for around £350 + £12 a month

Feels a bit more palatable than £2k + £39

Cheers 👍🏼

This sounds very interesting as it’s gives you that potentially more ‘immersive’ feeling

There seems to be great value on eBay for some bikes (even some on Amazon too) for around the £300 mark

Wahoo Pedals for £50 (I am guessing the fit is pretty much universal)

£12 a month for swift and wahoo automaticity synchs with Zwift to give you real-time feedback on the class

Stick an iPad somewhere in the vicinity and away you go!

Could be a solution for around £350 + £12 a month

Feels a bit more palatable than £2k + £39

Cheers ðŸ‘ðŸ¼
    No worries. This might help.

https://youtu.be/KPokCgVUKIY

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IdiotAbroad View Post
    Yes you can and indeed I just did a spin session this morning in the same fashion. We don't do the live classes, we just choose a video and crack on. Only difficulty is figuring out what their numbers equate to when they say "turn resistance up to 45" and so on. We have a fairly basic spin bike with no digital read-outs (that work!) so it's slightly guess work and making it as hard as you feel you need to get a good workout. It does get easier relatively speaking to make it progressively harder as the instructor says "now turn up to resistance 60" as you can make it proportionally tougher than before.
    Yes - i guess you work out the relative values over time…. The advantage of the more connected version is that it will read directly into your Zwift app so you know where you need to be at with a good deal more precision…

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    No worries. This might help.

https://youtu.be/KPokCgVUKIY
    Yep - that was good - not sure about the spin bike - I think my wife would rather push buttons? I shall investigate - good demo on how it all connects quite simply

Blog Entries
    Runner not a cyclist but up and running with Zwift and Smart Trainer in the garage.

You will love it son.

Pitch

fraction font generator

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Runner not a cyclist but up and running with Zwift and Smart Trainer in the garage.

You will love it son.

Pitch

[
    /url]

It won’t be for me - though might give it a go!?!

Sneakily got the Tesla in shot you big tart!!!

Quote Originally Posted by P9CLY View Post
    If the mention of £45 PM is correct plus the actual cost of the equipment,that far exceeds any monthly payment Ive ever made at any gym ive been a member off!,and I have the choice of every piece of equipment not to mention the classes.

But I do have a spin bike with a tv in front of it,I use you tube for cycling related vids simply to relieve the sheer boredom whilst using it in the conservatory,it would never replace the gym.....ever.
    Its £39, not £45. OK, pedantic, but still. The equipment quality far exceeds anything I've used as a spin bike before - and the classes are fantastic be they live or on demand. The range of availability is superb.

In fact, I enjoy Peloton more than I used to Spin classes, and I was a real spin fan for a few years doing 3 or 4 classes a week.

Quote Originally Posted by sjedwardz View Post
    Same for us. Just bought one and the whole family have been using it for bike, cardio, yoga, barre , meditation and I've also done some of their outside interval runs which are pretty good.
    Thats two adults and a 17 and 14 year old so £39 per month is very good value. Gyms around here, Berkshire, are way more than that for one person. When they are open that is.

The one benefit we have seen is that its so easy to just walk into the garage and hop on or doo a floor based class.

I've just bought a £30 Roku for the wall mounted TV in the gym so we can cast sessions from the bike - works brilliantly.

Yes the bike is expensive and a bit overpriced. But I see it like Apple - it just works and is dead easy to do.

I originally had it on an old spin bike with a cadence meter. It worked quite well but the rest of the family didn't want the faff of connecting everything together. Now they just jump on an go.

If it was just me I'd have looked into a decent magnetic resistance bike and use with a tablet. But, this would be about £1000+. So it was worth getting the bike. I suspect the resale value on these will be very good so should't lose too much if it ends up collecting dust.
    Absolutely that - same for me, if I'm rushed I used to miss the gym. This, forces me to do stuff. I've done something every day since March, bike, outdoor runs, cardio/indoor strength classes. Just so engaging, not like a Youtube class. I have a firestick on my telly in the garage so use the Peloton app on there so that's been brilliant too.

As you say, a good setup will be around a grand anyway - but I do get why it's not for all. I kept my gym subscription too and the Peloton complements it. When I go to the gym I do Peloton treadmill sessions plus weights. Fantastic

Craftsman
    I saw a peloton truck delivering one to a neighbour the other week.

The set up above looks Quite cool. What’s the second hand value like on one of the bikes?

Blog Entries
    It won’t be for me - though might give it a go!?!

Sneakily got the Tesla in shot you big tart!!!
    Tart heh, that’s rich 🤑.

It is good fun Wolfie and sheds the pounds so we can eat and drink more.

Hugs

Ya lover

Master

- join peleton

Cheers
    Ben
    That’s what we do. The only thing I would say is when they talk about ‘power’ (mix of rpm/cadence and effort) you won’t get that figure. Also when they talk about resistance you won’t get that figure. You just work to a level that is suitable for you. You can buy more expensive bikes that will integrate with the app though. We ended up going with the schwinn IC7. For a bit more the IC8 will sync with the pelaton app.

https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...oor-cycle.html

https://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk...ycle-my19.html

Blog Entries
    Ok - a little bump and a little heads up

I just got this

Nero Sports Bluetooth Upright Exercise Bike Indoor Studio Cycles Aerobic Training Fitness Cardio Bike https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08817NS..._E-JTFbNR9MS9F

It has Bluetooth and sensors all fully integrated into it and you simply stick on Zwift - just needs an iPad !

The reviews seem good

And on eBay with 20% off using code purchase20 for £240 - felt like good value for £240 all in

eBay link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392710741455

Will let people know how it is…

Ok - a little bump and a little heads up

I just got this

Nero Sports Bluetooth Upright Exercise Bike Indoor Studio Cycles Aerobic Training Fitness Cardio Bike https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08817NS..._E-JTFbNR9MS9F

It has Bluetooth and sensors all fully integrated into it and you simply stick on Zwift - just needs an iPad !

The reviews seem good

And on eBay with 20% off using code purchase20 for £240 - felt like good value for £240 all in

eBay link

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392710741455

Will let people know how it is…
    That's quite a light fly wheel weight. It's usually recommended flywheel weight for indoor bikes is about 16-20kgs, whereas for commercial bikes the weight can be around 20-22kg.
    Last edited by senwar; 19th November 2020 at 11:41.

Blog Entries
    That's quite a light fly wheel weight. It's usually recommended flywheel weight for indoor bikes is about 16-20kgs, whereas for commercial bikes the weight can be around 20-22kg.
    You’re almost certainly right - as an entry level and for the price - it’ll do…. I think the key was easy integration and something just working

I may need to work out how to get the cadence bit right for Zwift, but, in the meantime you can just peddle about on a track and get the cardio levels up

If my wife likes it - we may look at a heavier investment, but, for £240 it seemed reasonable value

You’re almost certainly right - as an entry level and for the price - it’ll do…. I think the key was easy integration and something just working

I may need to work out how to get the cadence bit right for Zwift, but, in the meantime you can just peddle about on a track and get the cardio levels up

If my wife likes it - we may look at a heavier investment, but, for £240 it seemed reasonable value
    Fair point. My previous spin bike was 13kg and as a regular spin class attendee it quickly became evident it was too light - but it was a good starting point and did push my interest.

Blog Entries
    Fair point. My previous spin bike was 13kg and as a regular spin class attendee it quickly became evident it was too light - but it was a good starting point and did push my interest.
    Do you know what - I was sure and now I’m not so sure - I just cancelled the order

No cadence sensor wouldn’t give the right experience…

Master
    Do you know what - I was sure and now I’m not so sure - I just cancelled the order

I looked at that one and reviews also stated it’s quite unstable as well as the comments already mentioned.

If cadence is key, then definitely understand you there. With Stuno's reply too that seems probably the right thing to do.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    I looked at that one and reviews also stated it’s quite unstable as well as the comments already mentioned.
    If cadence is key, then definitely understand you there. With Stuno's reply too that seems probably the right thing to do.
    Blimey I put that on there to congratulate myself on a job well done

Reviews are always going to have a bit of a mix…

Nobody liked the saddle!

But, the deeper digging revealed the lack of cadence tracking which is key to the Zwift experience!

Back to the drawing board!

Master
    Blimey I put that on there to congratulate myself on a job well done

Reviews are always going to have a bit of a mix…

Nobody liked the saddle!

But, the deeper digging revealed the lack of cadence tracking which is key to the Zwift experience!

Back to the drawing board!
    What’s your budget? Have a look at the schwinn bikes.

Master
    I know it's a bit pricey but imo it's worth shelling out for a quality product - Tacx Neo...

no worries about pairing, cadence or power accuracy, it's all built in and just works.. It can represent a 25% slope and I don't think any other 'smart' trainer has the 'road feel' feature. With this enabled it really does simulate and feel like you're riding over gravel, wooden bridges, cobbles etc..

I'm not on Zwift - as I thought I would get hammered as I have had to build up my strength gradually after 2 hip operations in 2 years.. I have a subscription to the Tacx films.. I started off on the easy films with rides along riverbanks and through the sand dunes in Holland but have recently progressed to the mountain films/routes as my leg has got stronger.. My current favourite course/film is Alpe d' Huez.. With the slope setting now at 100% it really feels realistic and is a very good workout. I think you can actually set the slope to 200% - God knows how strong you have to be to ride that as it feels hard enough set to 100%
    They have tons of films on the site that you can download so it never gets boring.. v quiet as well..
    Tacx subscription is 14 Euros a month.. I only use the films but they have various training programs included as well..
    Last edited by bry nylon; 19th November 2020 at 21:46.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuno1 View Post
    What’s your budget? Have a look at the schwinn bikes.
    Wanted to keep it tight as I think my wife wants to ‘given it a go’ before going in to heavily

Quote Originally Posted by bry nylon View Post
    I know it's a bit pricey but imo it's worth shelling out for a quality product - Tacx Neo...

no worries about pairing, cadence or power accuracy, it's all built in and just works.. It can represent a 25% slope and I don't think any other 'smart' trainer has the 'road feel' feature. With this enabled it really does simulate and feel like you're riding over gravel, wooden bridges, cobbles etc..

I'm not on Zwift - as I thought I would get hammered as I have had to build up my strength gradually after 2 hip operations in 2 years.. I have a subscription to the Tacx films.. I started off on the easy films with rides along riverbanks and through the sand dunes in Holland but have recently progressed to the mountain films/routes as my leg has got stronger.. My current favourite course/film is Alpe d' Huez.. With the slope setting now at 100% it really feels realistic and is a very good workout. I think you can actually set the slope to 200% - God knows how strong you have to be to ride that as it feels hard enough set to 100%
    They have tons of films on the site that you can download so it never gets boring.. v quiet as well..
    Tacx subscription is 14 Euros a month.. I only use the films but they have various training programs included as well..
    Swanky bit of kit! Beyond what I was hoping to invest