closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Buying in AD with someone elses Credit Card

Journeyman

Buying in AD with someone elses Credit Card

Hi all,

I am going to purchase an omega in the coming weeks and the wife has a purchase offer on her card.

I was going to pop in during the day when it’s quieter but she’ll be in the office.

Just wondered if they would let me use it? Do they tend to check the name on the card?

Getting an additional card seems a lot of agg for 1 transaction and it’ll cost me more bringing her along!

Thanks

Tell the CC company and they may be OK with it. You could be an authorised user.

Otherwise you're probably going to break the card T&Cs as she will have told you her PIN.

I would say the retailer will certainly check the card. Or Sod’s law, it will be declined.

I purchased a watch and despite ringing my bank 24 hours before with the details of the purchase, the card was declined. FFS.

I then had to call my bank and was on hold for 20 minutes and finally they said yes no problems go ahead with your purchase. I kept the banker on the phone while I completed the transaction as I did not want to have to call back after another 20 minute wait.

Journeyman
    Yep you will need advance notice with the card provider that you are making the purchase and be an auth user.

Been there done that.

Can it not be bought online?

Master
    Chances are as you’ll know the PIN it would be fine.

However if it’s not and the AD finds out, I can’t see how they could allow it as for all they know, you’ve nicked it off your mrs.

I once phoned my credit card company to say I was buying a watch from A, cost was B and the transaction would be at C time. They recorded all the details . . . . Still declined it! I had to call from the shop and it took an extra hour to get it through! A few months ago I bought a watch for treble the price over the phone and it went through straight away. So my point is ‘who knows’ !

Craftsman
    What kind of price we talking?

Usually my card provider texts me.
    Did you authorise xyz transaction reply yes or no. If you text back and give it 10min it usually works fine.

The retailer is unlikely to inspect the card if declined, high value transactions get security checked all the time.

Just have your wife ready to take a call or reply to the text if they do check.

Quote Originally Posted by Devonian View Post
    So my point is ‘who knows’ !
    Potentially, everyone who has access to the Internet around the world. So, a few billion.

SydR
    Does the card offer still work if linked to Apple Pay or similar?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by SydR View Post
    Does the card offer still work if linked to Apple Pay or similar?
    If you have a 0% credit card offer how you buy is irrelevant. Chip and pin, Over the phone. Apple Pay etc.

To work out how banks decide to block transactions they use sophisticated algorithms 😉 so sophisticated there’s not much logic to them!

Not sure if credit cards are different to debit cards in this respect but in my experience, unless there is a history of similar transactions on the card used, the payment will be rejected. When I bought my Sub in 2016 Santander initially blocked the payment on the basis that it was an unusually high transaction for me. After I contacted them the payment went through and they assured me that any other similar transaction wouldn't be flagged. Sure enough, in 2018 when I bought my BLNR from the same AD the payment went through fine.

Master
    My card was recently rejected, and blocked, when I was in the Rolex shop,paying for my new watch. The AD said was happening more these days. I ended up paying by bank transfer.
    Banks are very nervous about fraud. The problem is compounded by the fact that it’s not your card...so it’s rather hit and miss. Worse case, the card will be blocked. It took me hours to get unblocked, and that was my own card, used quite properly with adequate funds.
    It can get awkward very quickly. And it’s unpredictable.
    Last edited by paskinner; 31st July 2020 at 06:25.

SydR

Buying in AD with someone elses Credit Card

Quote Originally Posted by Sean89 View Post
    If you have a 0% credit card offer how you buy is irrelevant. Chip and pin, Over the phone. Apple Pay etc.

To work out how banks decide to block transactions they use sophisticated algorithms 😉 so sophisticated there’s not much logic to them!
    I’ve had HSBC not trigger an offer when paid via Apple Pay however just checked my AMEX The terms on a current offer for cashback from WOS states it includes payment from a ‘mobile payment wallet’.

Mrs Syd has used my Garmin watch to pay (on another card) for several things without issue however , as you say, payment rejections end up seemingly random.

Master
    Another point to consider about the card possibly being declined, the credit card company told me that transactions in jewellery/watch shops are far more likely than other shops. Far easier for a thief to flog off a diamond ring bought with a stolen credit card than say a kitchen.

It’ll certainly be against the terms and conditions of the card, and her pin shouldn’t be disclosed to anyone (officially)
    Also if declined or referred, and found it’s not the named user presenting the card, that’s not an ideal solution.
    Best to find a time when she can pop along with you.

Couldn’t she do it by phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Couldn’t she do it by phone?
    ^ this. Take time in the AD and at point of sale give her a call and she can give her card details over the phone. They will still fill the warranty card out in your details, payee won't affect that i'm sure.

Master
    As best I can see, that’s just as likely to get declined; in fact banks seem to distrust phone transactions even more. The store won’t say the card holder is present. However, it does mean the card is being used by its owner, which is better.
    Best solution is to arrange a time when your wife can join you at the store. These things are very frustrating, but we live in frustrating times...
    Last edited by paskinner; 31st July 2020 at 12:58.

Why not dress up as your wife and do it that way. What could possibly go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    OPs wife turns up as a surprise...

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Full of useful suggestions...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^Please be my guest.

Sure you can think of some non-compliant ways he can carry out some financial muppetry.

Why not buy it over the phone via her card

That’s what I do and my partner goes in and picks up with both our passports (though not needed) plus the actual card as proof

That was a Rolex AD

Just have a chat in advance with the AD of treat your Mrs to a day off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk