closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Could accuracy of a worn automatic watch be influenced by wearers pulse rate ?

Could accuracy of a worn automatic watch be influenced by wearers pulse rate ?

I have now been wearing my Seiko 6159-7000 which was serviced by Duncan/Thewatchbloke for the last six months and in that time it has gained a total of 3 seconds, this is three seconds total over the six months not a daily figure, I rest it crown down at night and it gains almost a second and crown up it loses almost a second so I alternate it.

Over the years I have found when wearing an automatic once regulated I tend to get real good accuracy.

My pulse rate is always between 46 and 50 bpm so slower than the "norm" and my blood pressure averages 117/54 pretty low and with no known health problems (recently had a full medical) apart from getting older :(

So I wonder if the body could influence time keeping ?

Don't see why/how it would. What do you think the relevance of your 'low' pulse rate is?

Master
    What could influence these matters is gravity , and movement. Different people have different patterns of activity. I suppose these could be linked to pulse and blood pressure, by an indirect path. Or the results might be co-incidence. Lend your watch to a friend, see if the results change.

Blog Entries
    As an experiment - let your wife / significant other, wear the same watch and see if any change. Seems like you’ve been able to regulate the watch by positioning it to cancel out daily variances.

Its not just this watch but quite a few over the last umpteen years, I don't swap and change watches daily, I normally wear the same watch for months or years on end apart from the occasional photo session.

In one word-No.

Body heat & being worn yes but pulse I would say no.
    I have an Alpina Auto that at rest is +17 second's a day but when I wear it it's consistently +1
    That's quite a difference plus a few other watches I wear are better on the wrist than off it but not with a margin of 17 second's

I used to have a similar pulse rate to yours, consistently between 46-50bpm. I’m now running at a medically induced rate consider higher, around 80bpm. My watch collection is bigger these days but those watches that I’ve had throughout have not shown any noticeable change in accuracy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

plenty of articles on the human condition and how person to person variation may impact a watches performance, most center around individual magnetic fields not pulse rate. Nowt concrete ever proved and given the any one persons individual magnetic field is unlikely to ever be powerful enough distort a watch movement i remain sceptical. That said i have met a few people who swear blind that they cant wear a mechanical watch as it stops working on their wrist.

Master
    Pulse wont matter to an automatic but a very sedentary lifestyle will...

Loads of peoples watches seem to stop functioning just after retirement for some odd reason...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post

Loads of peoples watches seem to stop functioning just after retirement for some odd reason...

Quote Originally Posted by 744ER View Post

Maybe it's because they take the watch off before doing the exercise and put it back on later after completing said exercise and having had a shower etc. There is no way I would run or go for a long walk with a watch on. In fact, better not to wear a watch at all and just enjoy being outside without worrying about times, pace, heart rate and pulse etc.

I wear my watch 18/7 whatever i'm doing, gardening, machining, dog walking etc etc, I am fortunate because I am that busy in retirement I often wonder how I found time to go work :)

I was helping an electronics engineer (passing him his testing equipment) replace some boards in a CNC machine years ago and he fitted a earth strap to me before we started he also tested me for electricity and got a reasonably high reading from my body.

Grand Master
    The readings would probably be due to your footwear or clothing!

As for a correlation between pulse and the watch’s rate, I woukd say its a definite no! How can there be a feasible explanation?

If a watch is worn daily by someone who's pattern of activity is reasonably consistent, I would expect it to run consistently provided it is stored in the same orientation overnight. Indeed, that’s the basis on which I regulate watches, 16hrs wear and 8 hrs dial- up overnight. Even for older watches with significant positional variation its surprising how consistent the ‘ on the wrist’ rate is.