closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Choosing a watch for the big 5-0 - any JLC Reserve De Marche owners here?

Choosing a watch for the big 5-0 - any JLC Reserve De Marche owners here?

I've concluded that I am a disaster at choosing watches. 10 years + of flipperitis and I'm still somewhat random in my choices. It'll probably never end!

I've the big 5-0 coming up early 2021 and am buying myself something nice to celebrate my impending oldness. I actually bit the bullet late 2019 and bought a mint black dial Milgauss GV which has been in the safe for the occasion. Wanted one for years.... and I've tried it on in the house a few times.

Honestly?... I'm not convinced I'm that bothered by it. Its a lot of money to tie up in a watch I think "meh.." about... so I suspect I'll move it on eventually. It weighs a ton to me... must be that iron inner case? My most expensive purchase before this was a SMP for my 40th - that was a glorious £1550 new back then!!

In one last attempt to see if I can choose something (before conceding that I'm a Seiko man at heart.... and should just stick to collecting 7a28/38's !) there's one style of watch I am drawn to - the JLC master control series. In partcular, I really like the Reserve De Marche with power reserve:

I do like its style - clean lines and a lovely display back. I'm missing something like that from my collection after trading in my GS auto for (of all things) a Breitliing Aerospace (which is potentially up for the chop here too!).

So - anything to watch for? Reliable enough movement in these JLC's? I must admit I know nothing about them in detail. A few service woe stories online as you'd expect from nearly all makers these days... but I do like it. Budget will be for a used model and I'm going to cap my spend at £4k if I can find a used one as a private sale. I see there are 2 case sizes - 36 and 39mm. Anyone ever tried one on or owned one?

Opinions welcome (including.. wise up suggestions!). I'm experiencing watch collecting fatigue if I'm honest and may just decide to buy nothing, let the Milgauss and Aerospace go instead...
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 20th August 2020 at 12:03.

Master
    I think it’s a good option. I have looked at them previously. The newer 39mm with display caseback and nicer looking movement/rotor would be my choice.

You own an Offshore Professional Field Engineer, so you’re not a complete disaster at choosing watches .

Can’t help you with your JLC questions, I’m afraid...

Simon

Master
    I have a JLC Powermatic which I have owned for about 27 or so years. It is a beautiful watch but expect to be shafted big time when it comes to a service. JLC retain their spare parts and charge the earth for them. I had the JLC serviced years ago and had a new winding knob and the shaft attached to it because it fell out. Total cost back then was £1200. Also they are not a robust watch, so you have to be a bit careful with them.

How about a Longine, they have good movement and have good customer service whereas JLC's is notoriously unfriendly.

The above poster nailed it. Their dress watches are not very tough and expensive to service.
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Berty234 View Post
    I think it’s a good option. I have looked at them previously. The newer 39mm with display caseback and nicer looking movement/rotor would be my choice.
    Have to agree - 39mm with display back is nice but price seems a lot stronger as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    You own an Offshore Professional Field Engineer, so you’re not a complete disaster at choosing watches .

Can’t help you with your JLC questions, I’m afraid...

Simon
    Fair point Simon! The Offshore is a keeper (hard to believe Lorne's passed away nearly a year now, in a few weeks time).

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I have a JLC Powermatic which I have owned for about 27 or so years. It is a beautiful watch but expect to be shafted big time when it comes to a service. JLC retain their spare parts and charge the earth for them. I had the JLC serviced years ago and had a new winding knob and the shaft attached to it because it fell out. Total cost back then was £1200. Also they are not a robust watch, so you have to be a bit careful with them.

How about a Longine, they have good movement and have good customer service whereas JLC's is notoriously unfriendly.
    Jeepers..... £1200. Not good. Yes, I'd consider anything else of this style really - I'm not locked to ANY brand choice at all. One of my favourites to wear over the years has been an old Seikomatic (now flipped... you know the score lol!).

I'd enjoyed that watch alot - so know I'll like this JLC's style for a change. There's a few Zeniths out there as well... again, no experience of them at all.

Quote Originally Posted by abraxas View Post
    The above poster nailed it. Their dress watches are not very tough and expensive to service.
    Not for me then.... nothing worse than a rip off service experience to sour the ownership.

Vintage S/S Omega Seamaster always caught my eye too by the way.... nice classic lines.
    Last edited by JohnnyE; 20th August 2020 at 12:40.

This Longines is rather tasty.... just over £2k new:

info: https://www.longines.com/en-gb/watch...-l2-629-4-78-3

From experience, I'd say avoid any watches with silver hands against a silver dial as you get older.

Blog Entries
    I wouldn’t write off JLC. They make high grade movements ebauche used by Patek / AP and such. They have been called the watchemakers watchmaker. The standard 2 year warranty can be extended to 8 years also.

I looked at that very model - but do consider it a dress watch rather than “all rounder”

Have you looked at Zenith? Some may fit what you are looking for?

https://www.zenith-watches.com/en_gb...00-670-02-c922
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th August 2020 at 13:41.

Damn special birthdays, cause nothing but problems

I must admit that Milgauss is an absolute stunner and if I was you I would call it quits now and have that as the birthday present.

I am in a similar position with my 60th next year and a Milgauss was on my shortlist, but having owned so many new or fairly new watches whatever you pick just becomes the next watch and eventually it will stop feeling special and will be shown the door. The problem is for a special birthday you want a special watch and that's were it gets difficult. Even if someone is lucky enough to get the call, is it special or just another example of a mass produced watch that thousands of others around the world have also just bought.

I gave it some thought and decided that I would hunt for a vintage Seamaster 300. Having owned three rebuilds, I thought the time was right to push the boat out and go for an original example, so that's were I'm heading for my 60th birthday present to myself, although I wish I had a spare £7k or so to relieve you of that Milgauss

I'm with WR, I would call it quits and enjoy the Milguass. Perhaps you built it up too much in your head and in reality it's a good watch but doesn't match the hype you put on it.

JLC make fantastic watches and are the Watchmaker's Watchmaker as Martyn rightly says but the servicing cost would put me off.

There was a nice black dial JLC perpetual calendar on SC recently which might have better visibility re the hour hands against the dial which you might want to look at. Not sure if it sold.

Craftsman
    How about a nice classic Portofini, white dial.

https://www.iwc.com/gb/en/watch-coll...automatic.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    With advancing years the watch needs to be easily legible. I got a polar EXP2 42mm for my 50th, the black hands against the white dial make it easy to read at a glance. And servicing is not so outrageous as JLC. Mine was servived and a new crystal couple of yrs ago for 700 odd.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mick P View Post
    I had an 8 Day Perpetual Calendar fully serviced for less than half of that. Good. speedy quality of service too. Yours must have been completely shot!

As Martyn says, I wouldn’t write off JLC. They make some beautiful watches, with high grade movement.

I do like the look of the RDM model, but at the 39mm and all dial, it looks like a dinner plate on anyones wrist. I didn’t realise that there is now a 36mm, far more classy and elegant for this type of watch, will have to take a look. Probably relatively easy to get a good discount on the 36mm model too, as 99.99% of modern watch enthusiasts will be automatically put off by the fact that they think it’s much too small.

Blog Entries
    Another Zenith to consider - can be bought new easily at 25% off MRP

Blog Entries
    This JLC is a beauty in rose gold!! Was looking at this when I got my 5146J - not too much price difference at the time. I think there might be now though

Here is another JLC I owned for a while - super piece!

Could do worse than an Omega Deville Prestige - with discount new, can be purchased as £2995

Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 20th August 2020 at 14:49.

You're a Seiko man, have you thought of looking at some of their higher end offerings?
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I have the older Reserve de Marche which I believe is 37mm. It is the white/silver dial version so the same that you are interested in albeit the older version. I've compared this to a colleagues 39mm blue dial which is lovely. But I agree with the above. I think at 39mm it doesn't look as nice as the 37mm. It is better proportioned being slightly smaller. Mine isn't worn a great deal but I love it and I wouldn't sell it unless I had to. It is quite dressy but I recommend you actually try one.

On my phone.... I'll reply properly later with multi quotes as I really appreciate the input. Lots of food for thought....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 11erv View Post
    I had an 8 Day Perpetual Calendar fully serviced for less than half of that. Good. speedy quality of service too. Yours must have been completely shot!
    The watch was in good condition. The cost was down to me walking the streets of London and walking through Hatton Garden of all places and the winding knob and stepped shafted connected to it fell out of the watch and after an hour of retracing my steps I gave up trying to find it. I even went into a few of the horologist in the area and asked what could be done and their advice was all the same. Put your hand in your pocket and send it to JLC and that is what was done.

The bill was not itemised, it was merely for the service of the watch and replacement of the winding knob and shaft.

The thought of it still reduces me to tears and makes me drink several glasses of whisky.

Master
    Hi

I’ve had a JLC RDM for a long time. Don’t wear it that often these days but it is a thing of beauty!
    I wore it daily for about 5 years and it did very well. Yes it’s dressy, but for day to day wear it’s perfectly tough enough.
    JLC are a top drawer manufacturer. I don’t own a Longines, but I don’t think they’re in the same league.
    Mine is old now so must be the smaller one.
    I would say it is a great choice for a special birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallasey Runner View Post
    Damn special birthdays, cause nothing but problems

I must admit that Milgauss is an absolute stunner and if I was you I would call it quits now and have that as the birthday present.

I am in a similar position with my 60th next year and a Milgauss was on my shortlist, but having owned so many new or fairly new watches whatever you pick just becomes the next watch and eventually it will stop feeling special and will be shown the door. The problem is for a special birthday you want a special watch and that's were it gets difficult. Even if someone is lucky enough to get the call, is it special or just another example of a mass produced watch that thousands of others around the world have also just bought.

I gave it some thought and decided that I would hunt for a vintage Seamaster 300. Having owned three rebuilds, I thought the time was right to push the boat out and go for an original example, so that's were I'm heading for my 60th birthday present to myself, although I wish I had a spare £7k or so to relieve you of that Milgauss
    I got my SMP from my wife and son for the 40th - love that watch... so it all worked out ok. I've flipped enough now to know that the next big one needs to just be something I buy myself AROUND the big event but not really connected to it. That way.... I can freely trade on/up if I go off it.

Vintage 300 will be a lovely thing - I bought this last week... in the style of the Omega 300 and a lovely thing on the wrist. This one is the one that seals the nail in my Aerospace's coffin!

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    I wouldn’t write off JLC. They make high grade movements ebauche used by Patek / AP and such. They have been called the watchemakers watchmaker. The standard 2 year warranty can be extended to 8 years also.

I looked at that very model - but do consider it a dress watch rather than “all rounder”

Have you looked at Zenith? Some may fit what you are looking for?

https://www.zenith-watches.com/en_gb...00-670-02-c922
    Dress = OK Martyn - I like a steel watch on black leather deployant. Not TOO dressy mind you! Haven't looked at Zenith at all so I'll have a look for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I'm with WR, I would call it quits and enjoy the Milguass. Perhaps you built it up too much in your head and in reality it's a good watch but doesn't match the hype you put on it.

JLC make fantastic watches and are the Watchmaker's Watchmaker as Martyn rightly says but the servicing cost would put me off.

There was a nice black dial JLC perpetual calendar on SC recently which might have better visibility re the hour hands against the dial which you might want to look at. Not sure if it sold.
    You are probably right - I mulled over "what Rolex" for so long... Exp I, Exp II, Sub ND... OP, Milgauss... this one came up and is pretty much unworn. I cant find a single hairline on it. Bracelet is simply superb. Clasp is perfection - internal micro adjusters are clever! Easylink is a lovely touch.

It might sound odd - but I'm finding it increasingly annoying, wearing a heavy watch. Linked to this birthday and increasing years, I've got osteoarthritis kicking in - wost in my knees but my fingers get pretty swollen and sore; I've stopped wearing a wedding ring cos it bugs the life off me when my joints hurt. Watch wise... I cant stick a heavy watch more than minutes on bad days. That's why I'm wearing the CWC SBS on a Nato these days, or the Aerospace in titanium.

I'm considering ditching most of the collection... keep the sentimental ones (SMP and a few Seikos of low value).. ditch the rest and have one casual/smart watch on leather (s/steel). That's why the JLC drew me in. I love those thin cases and fine hands with a touch of added "complication".

Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    How about a nice classic Portofini, white dial.

https://www.iwc.com/gb/en/watch-coll...automatic.html
    That is rather nice isn't it.... I'll add IWC to the list after Zenith for a sniff!

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C View Post
    You're a Seiko man, have you thought of looking at some of their higher end offerings?
    Neil - indeed... and I've had 2 Grand Seiko. First was a 9F 36mm quartz. JUST a tad too small for me. Stepped up to a 40mm auto next. LOVELY.. Cant quite put my finger on why I didn't gel with these. Micro adjustment was a factor, or lack of.

Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    This JLC is a beauty in rose gold!! Was looking at this when I got my 5146J - not too much price difference at the time. I think there might be now though

Here is another JLC I owned for a while - super piece!

Could do worse than an Omega Deville Prestige - with discount new, can be purchased as £2995
    Beautiful JLC's there Martyn.. I could dip my toe in the gold/rose gold market for the 1st time with that! The Omega is nice.. but the others on this thread float my boat more.

Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post
    I have the older Reserve de Marche which I believe is 37mm. It is the white/silver dial version so the same that you are interested in albeit the older version. I've compared this to a colleagues 39mm blue dial which is lovely. But I agree with the above. I think at 39mm it doesn't look as nice as the 37mm. It is better proportioned being slightly smaller. Mine isn't worn a great deal but I love it and I wouldn't sell it unless I had to. It is quite dressy but I recommend you actually try one.
    That answers one thing I wondered for sure. I'd assumed 39mm would suit me better... but this is a full dial watch. Do you have a pic or 2 you can share? Wrist shot would be useful too (I'm a 7" wrist).

Quote Originally Posted by bambam View Post
    Hi

I’ve had a JLC RDM for a long time. Don’t wear it that often these days but it is a thing of beauty!
    I wore it daily for about 5 years and it did very well. Yes it’s dressy, but for day to day wear it’s perfectly tough enough.
    JLC are a top drawer manufacturer. I don’t own a Longines, but I don’t think they’re in the same league.
    Mine is old now so must be the smaller one.
    I would say it is a great choice for a special birthday.
    Any pics?... keen to see it on the wrist. I'm not going to get to try one in person... so whatever I buy will be bought online, blind as such.

Thanks for all the feedback chaps... VERY VERY helpful.

At this stage.... I'm in the "sell up" mode. I want something light, thin, s/steel with a light face (ie not black, I've enough of those). Leather... with a nice quality deployant and a really nice leather strap of excellent quality. If I ditch the surplus watches that truth be told, I never wear... I've over £10k in the pot. I'll spend half.... stick half back where it shouldn't have been taken from (sssssshhh.... don't mention my drip fund savings account !!)

Master

No problem. My wrist is about 6.75 inches so hopefully this gives you an idea on how it wears. Its very slim and light and is rather "classy" in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by midgetda View Post

No problem. My wrist is about 6.75 inches so hopefully this gives you an idea on how it wears. Its very slim and light and is rather "classy" in my opinion.
    Oh... that's lovely isn't it? Heart v's head rules when I see that. Very nice indeed. Milgauss will be on the wrist tomorrow morning for a test as I work from home here. I'm being careful with it until I make my mind up - there's ZERO marks on it at all. I've plenty of time to decide and am in no rush.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyE View Post
    I got my SMP from my wife and son for the 40th - love that watch... so it all worked out ok. I've flipped enough now to know that the next big one needs to just be something I buy myself AROUND the big event but not really connected to it. That way.... I can freely trade on/up if I go off it.

Vintage 300 will be a lovely thing - I bought this last week... in the style of the Omega 300 and a lovely thing on the wrist. This one is the one that seals the nail in my Aerospace's coffin!
    Totally agree with the logic of buying it yourself and keeping it away from the actual day so it looks to the outside world like just another watch, when you know in your own head it is supposed to be something special. I picked up the Big Triangle the other week. It's booked in with Simon Freese for a service October time.

Even treated myself to a Snoopy strap for it. Good luck with your hunt.

Oh that's a beauty Ken..... Really lovely. Looks great on that strap too.

Craftsman
    Have you thought about an IWC Portugieser Chronograph? Classic piece of kit and since this year also available with in-house movement

Master
    Not for me then.... nothing worse than a rip off service experience to sour the ownership.
    Indeed. I also like many of JLC's offerings and appreciate the horological bang-per-buck, but there are too many horror stories to enjoy the ownership. I'd echo Martyn's suggestion in looking at Zenith, who also have exceptional pedigree but whose aftercare is everything JLC's isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by COMEX View Post
    Have you thought about an IWC Portugieser Chronograph? Classic piece of kit and since this year also available with in-house movement
    I took a look there... very nice indeed...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Indeed. I also like many of JLC's offerings and appreciate the horological bang-per-buck, but there are too many horror stories to enjoy the ownership. I'd echo Martyn's suggestion in looking at Zenith, who also have exceptional pedigree but whose aftercare is everything JLC's isn't.
    I never really paid attention to Zenith.... will do now!

Milgauss on the wrist all morning. Hmmmm. It IS a nice watch indeed.. I have a few months to go so will stay in research mode for now!!

Better than a Wedding Ring IMHO, and my Bride didn't mind either

Lovely picture and congratulations (belated or otherwise!).

...and you post that pic, 5 minutes after I've just told my son I'm definitely letting the Milgauss GV go.

I have my eye on this: https://blowers-jewellers.co.uk/prod...thin-q1218420/

Opinions please!

keep the milgauss, its a great watch and will hold its value as time goes on. I have one, sold it and regretted it and rebought it. Have a JLC master calander reserve the marche. Certainly lighter but not a ultra thin watch either, the 39 wears plenty big. Finishing of the JLC is very good. Display case-backs are a bugbear of mine, I think they are pointless. All you see is rotor and deployant, sure they are fun first time you get the watch, but you will rarely look at it after that. They are more interesting on microrotars and self winders.

There are bargains to be had on the used JLC market. I got mine from watchfinder and the deal was very good after a bit of haggling. JLC is the watchmakers watchmater, movements are very good standard but not cheap to service especially with complications. 7.5inch wrist

Blog Entries
    For me you have one hell of a taste and such a right choice with a Reserve de Marche. JLC are fabulous watches for the money and something on my wish list for years.

I finally purchased a Hometime 5ish years ago and in a complete moment of madness moved it on, something I have regretted ever since.

I have tried for a long time to replace it with the right Reserve de Marche but no joy, I have also considered other models from JLC.

I did manage to find a good price new from a grey dealer and will hunt the emails down for you if interested.

I have some very expensive timepieces but none of them feel as special as a Jaeger leCoultre, in my opinion that is.

Pitch

I know of a blue dial 39mm reserve du Marche in a local dealer to me if that fits your WTB on this? Pm me if you want the detail. He's asking 5k.

Blog Entries
    I know of a blue dial 39mm reserve du Marche in a local dealer to me if that fits your WTB on this? Pm me if you want the detail. He's asking 5k.
    Cheers buddy but gotta be white and that’s over budget for me.

Many thanks

Pitch