closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Painting newly plastered walls

Any further south and i would have wet feet

Painting newly plastered walls

I will shortly have some newly skimmed walls and ceiling to paint. I am well aware of applying a mist coat but,let’s face it,it is a fag and it is bloody messy!
    I haven’t had to paint fresh plaster for a while so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for any products out there that might be easier to apply than a traditional mist coat? I am also aware of using a pva mix and was thinking more about a ready to go product?
    Ta

Painting newly plastered walls

I plaster and paint quite often, I use my pump sprayer to wet the walls and then paint a full coat of quality emulsion, also saves all the hassle of watered down coats, PVA, plaster paint..

It sticks and dries perfectly as the damp surface stops the plaster sucking any moisture from the paint, this is the problem as once that happens the paint just sits on the surface and eventually flakes off.

Just done my bathroom, spray the walls/ceiling so they are damp, apply one coat of emulsion, once dry apply one coat of bathroom paint, looks perfect and more importantly it’s bonded to the plaster.
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 6th September 2020 at 09:32.

Craftsman
    I haven't used them myself, but there are products for painting onto fresh plaster, e.g.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsen...te-10ltr/51004

That seems to get decent enough reviews.

I use macphersons eclipse emulsion
    Superb stuff can be bought at good prices sometimes- I just bought 5L for under £20.
    Water first coat down 25%

Blog Entries
    We always used diluted PVA in the past. Wasn’t exactly difficult to do.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

We always use the no nonsense bare plaster paint from screwfix

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Just dont make it too watery and use a high quality short pile finishing roller head instead of a big fluffy thing that spits paint everywhere

Master
    50% water/emulsion (a trade emulsion).

We've painted a LOT of nearly plastered rooms in our time (every new house we seem to have to re-plaster all the walls/ceiling) and in the process of going, again, through this proceadure in our new house. After many years of various trials we've settled on 50% water downed emulsion. Started off with the PVA idea and that was quickly rejected because it altered the colour of the top coat and can be a so-an-so to paint over.

Quote Originally Posted by solwisesteve View Post
    50% water/emulsion (a trade emulsion).

We've painted a LOT of nearly plastered rooms in our time (every new house we seem to have to re-plaster all the walls/ceiling) and in the process of going, again, through this proceadure in our new house. After many years of various trials we've settled on 50% water downed emulsion. Started off with the PVA idea and that was quickly rejected because it altered the colour of the top coat and can be a so-an-so to paint over.
    Try spraying the walls with a pump sprayer first to offset the suction, this is the same as adding water to the paint but allows a full thick coat, it also saves having to do an extra coat of paint..

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by murkeywaters View Post
    Try spraying the walls with a pump sprayer first to offset the suction, this is the same as adding water to the paint but allows a full thick coat, it also saves having to do an extra coat of paint..
    Thanks for the tip. I'll put this to my decorator (SWMBO) ;-)

Blog Entries
    Mist coat is the only way to go, trade emulsion watered down 25-30% forget pva and watering the walls down there's a reason mist coats are used and that's because they work

Master

No professional decorators that I have seen do this. If it worked they would. But if you are happy with it then that's all that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    No professional decorators that I have seen do this. If it worked they would. But if you are happy with it then that's all that counts.
    I’am very happy with this method, emulsion is water based and plaster sucks water, if you nullify the suction by pre spraying the surface then you get a perfect bond, essentially it’s similar to watering down paint but less mess from watery paint and less coats of paint needed.

I have tested standard trade emulsion with my spray method in a comparison with latex based plaster paint and the plaster paint came away from the walls much easier than my method.

Blog Entries
    if you nullify the suction by pre spraying the surface then you get a perfect bond, essentially it’s similar to watering down paint but less mess from watery paint and less coats of paint needed..
    This makes no sense whatsoever but if you're happy with your results then fair enough

Quote Originally Posted by mickylall View Post
    This makes no sense whatsoever but if you're happy with your results then fair enough
    Why does it make no sense? All your trying to achieve is maximum bond to the new plaster preferably with maximum coverage to limit work time, below is a link to a video of an overpainted area I recently plastered and painted, its more than strong enough for first coat emulsion.

https://i.imgur.com/P2yZUiY.mp4
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 6th September 2020 at 12:05.

Blog Entries
    All your trying to achieve is maximum bond to the new plaster preferably with maximum coverage to limit work time

No you're not, hence using a mist coat. If you're happy larrupping paint on new plaster like in your video good for you but there is a reason nobody else is using your technique

Blog Entries
    Why does it make no sense? All your trying to achieve is maximum bond to the new plaster preferably with maximum coverage to limit work time, below is a link to a video of an overpainted area I recently plastered and painted, its more than strong enough for first coat emulsion.

Perhaps using a thinned first coat or dilute PVA might seal the plaster by soaking in. Just a thought.
    Started out with nothing. Still have most of it left.

Master
    Must admit I always use a watered down emulsion - 50/50 ish

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bobc View Post
    Just use a quality roller sleeve and apply a mist coat, after all M60 Trade specifications are written for a reason, it’s the correct way of doing things. No professional decorator worth his salt would use PVA or wet walls on new plaster.

PS I am a professional decorator of 51 years
    Last edited by hilly10; 6th September 2020 at 16:03.

Quote Originally Posted by hilly10 View Post
    Just use a quality roller sleeve and apply a mist coat, after all M60 Trade specifications are written for a reason, it’s the correct way of doing things. No professional decorator worth his salt would use PVA or wet walls on new plaster.

PS I am a professional decorator of 51 years
    Exactly, your a professional decorator whereas most of us who shop at Wickes/B&Q and paint our own projects are happy with whatever way that gives us the best finish.

Essentially a mist coat is adding water to the paint 60/40-50/50 so the plaster has extra water to soak up, not really different to adding water to the wall first..
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 6th September 2020 at 16:21.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Exactly, your a professional decorator whereas most of us who shop at Wickes/B&Q and paint our own projects are happy with whatever way that gives us the best finish.

Essentially a mist coat is adding water to the paint 60/40-50/50 so the plaster has extra water to soak up, not really different to adding water to the wall first..
    There are other reasons for mist coating, one is being able to see defects in the plaster, so then the plaster can be sanded filled and rectified, if you sprayed with water or PVA you would not see the defects.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    As I said I’m well aware of the usual mist coat but was just wondering if there was a viable and less messy option. Tbh I’ll stick with the advice of a decorator with 51 years experience. Thanks for the other replies though.

There are other reasons for mist coating, one is being able to see defects in the plaster, so then the plaster can be sanded filled and rectified, if you sprayed with water or PVA you would not see the defects.
    I understand that and always do any filling/sanding before the 2nd coat, for the home painter there is various ways of painting new plaster but which ever way the OP chooses just make sure the base coat has taken to the new plaster, I have seen sheets of paint coming off the walls where neat emulsion was applied directly to new plaster!

I'm just an amateur too but thinking on this, difference could be that with a mist coat, water + paint soaks in (rather than just water) enabling subsequent coats to better bond.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    I'm just an amateur too but thinking on this, difference could be that with a mist coat, water + paint soaks in (rather than just water) enabling subsequent coats to better bond.
    As I said above there are several ways, I found the mist coat way messy, time consuming and the paint didn't stick as well as pre spraying the plaster with water, one of the reasons is as the roller runs out of paint/water there isn't enough moisture on the surface to stop the plaster sucking it dry, spraying the surface first is much more controllable.

Thats what I found, other people do it differently and as long as they get on okay and ultimately the paint sticks well to the surface then everyone is happy.

I always wet the surface of new plaster when using caulk, filler or applying coving, again to stop the suction and allow the product to set rather than be sucked dry.
    Last edited by murkeywaters; 6th September 2020 at 16:51.

Master
    Blog Entries
    I understand that and always do any filling/sanding before the 2nd coat, for the home painter there is various ways of painting new plaster but which ever way the OP chooses just make sure the base coat has taken to the new plaster, I have seen sheets of paint coming off the walls where neat emulsion was applied directly to new plaster!

You will create problems when you do the filling before applying the last coat, not so much with Vinyl Matt but with the new Acrylics and titanium based paints ie Diamond Matt the filler will flash with only one coat, so you will end up having to give it another coat. There is a process for a reason and when you are painting walls 300 m2 per day you tend to stick to it.

You will create problems when you do the filling before applying the last coat, not so much with Vinyl Matt but with the new Acrylics and titanium based paints ie Diamond Matt the filler will flash with only one coat, so you will end up having to give it another coat. There is a process for a reason and when you are painting walls 300 m2 per day you tend to stick to it.
    I'm sure you're right and I'm not arguing with you but I'm talking straight white matt emulsion, you're the pro so hopefully the OP follows your advice.

Just saying my way of combatting the plaster taking in the moisture from the paint works brilliantly for me and is a lot less hassle than a mist coat but then I don't have to go by regulations..

Pva has its place but on a freshly skimmed (or any other) wall prior to painting is not one of them. You will see it flashing through, especially any splashes.
    Mist coat followed by full fat coats will give you good results. Don't use silk for mist coating new plaster as it will peel. I mostly use Leyland Super leytex matt on new work thinned for misting coats as I've found it to be reliable with good opacity. Other trade matts are fine too just depends on what you're used to using.
    Re wetting the wall 1st to kill the suction: thats fine before plastering/rendering but it's a different kettle of fish with paint. Wet on wet just isn't reliable. If you think about it you wouldn't put a 2nd coat on before the 1st has dried.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Pva has its place but on a freshly skimmed (or any other) wall prior to painting is not one of them. You will see it flashing through, especially any splashes.
    Mist coat followed by full fat coats will give you good results. Don't use silk for mist coating new plaster as it will peel. I mostly use Leyland Super leytex matt on new work thinned for misting coats as I've found it to be reliable with good opacity. Other trade matts are fine too just depends on what you're used to using.
    Re wetting the wall 1st to kill the suction: thats fine before plastering/rendering but it's a different kettle of fish with paint. Wet on wet just isn't reliable. If you think about it you wouldn't put a 2nd coat on before the 1st has dried.
    +1... :-)

PVA splashes are why SWMBO stopped using this as a primer. We've used thinned trade emulsion onto a dry skim and had excellent results. It's also a good way of getting rid of those part used tins of emulsion we have lying around. ;-)

As a Surveyor/Project Manager of 20+ years, I’ve always followed manufacturers recommendations and my text book/lecture learnings of applying a mist coat (watered down paint) to bare plaster. Never had any issues on any jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Its nothing like putting paint on a wet paint finish, once the plaster has been dampened with a spray and I mean damp not running down the walls you can touch the walls and they feel dry as the plaster will absorb the moisture instantly, it just has a darker finish as if it was still drying.

The whole point of not putting paint on top of tacky paint is because its not set and the new coat will cause all sorts of problems, spraying water on fresh plaster is just water, there is no setting needed and you have killed the suction.

If you have every roller'd over fresh plaster with a mist coat that's too thick quite often you'll find if you overlap a painted area the roller sometimes picks up the overlap paint in little flakes, this is because the plaster has pulled all the moisture instantly from the paint and its not stuck/bonding to the surface, and it never will stick once that's happened.

As said before, mist coat is the way for most people and if it works for you keep doing it, but I get on far better dampening the plaster first with a pump sprayer, I think a lot of people misjudge how much plaster pulls moisture from the paint, we then get into thickness of plaster as the thicker the finish the more it absorbs.