closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: WWII Spitfire wreck discovered. Not known before

Blog Entries

WWII Spitfire wreck discovered. Not known before

Yesterday, the remains of a Spitfire were found near the beach of Vrouwenpolder (in the Zeeland province, north of Flushing). The discovery of this plane is in contrast to many other well-known and well-documented planes: this plane's whereabouts were unknown!

First findings are a wooden(!) fuel tank. The markings on that tank were a big step to be able to identify the plane and the missing pilot. Now, 24 hrs later, Dutch investigators have identified the pilot Sidney Hadfield Cheeseman (then 21 y/o).

On Feb 22, 1944 two Spitfires were on their way from the UK to a small German airfield near the Dutch town of Breda. Allied planes were to bomb the airfield and the Spitfires were sent as support planes. On the way back, one got in trouble, ditched its heavy additional fuel tank and tried to make it across the sea. Sadly, the plane went down into sea, just off the coast.

Personally, I don't think that the remains of the pilot will be retrieved. More than 75 yrs of sea, current and sand will have done a lot. Still, it's great to read that the pilot was identified within 24 hrs. Knowing the population of of Vrouwenpolder (A closed community and very religious & God-fearing people) there will certainly a remembrance monument for the pilot.

Link here: https://db.wingstovictory.nl/databas...php?wtv_id=369 with an additional PDF (new link. In Dutch, but translatable).
    Last edited by thieuster; 16th October 2020 at 11:42.

It's interesting to think that even after all of this time, somewhere there are records of WW2 planes and their crew and wrecks (war graves) just waiting to be discovered and identified.

Thanks for the post.

Sent through the ether by diddling with radio waves

Glad to see that RAF aircraft are still being found.

I see the pilot's name is on the Runnymede memorial.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

May the Pilot Rest In Peace.
    At least his family will know what happened to him.
    Thanks for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    ... there will certainly a remembrance monument for the pilot.
    There is a lot of respect given by the people of your country, Menno. A very honourable thing to do.

Blog Entries
    Article in English (yesterday's news. Mine is from today) https://theaviationist.com/2020/10/1...e-end-of-wwii/

There is a lot of respect given by the people of your country, Menno. A very honourable thing to do.
    Vrouwenpolder is a hamlet (not even a small village) in the council Veere. It close to the village of Westkapelle (also council Veere) where in 1944 British Commandos stormed the beaches. After the war, the people and council decided to build a museum and a monument for the troops who'd died during the attack. So, this council with its hamlets is used to preserving war time memories. That's why I'm so confident that this pilot will get his own place among his Allied mates.

The landing was a combined attack by all Allied forces and those who'd escaped to GB at the beginning of the war. French, Dutch, Belgian, Norwegian troops, all had joined the ranks of the British Commandos. All have now their separate monument. All these monuments are scattered and can be found in the cemeteries of the villages and hamlets of Veere council just behind the dunes.

For more on the attack:

https://www.facebook.com/Battlefield...18259531776666

We have a holiday home in Veere and when the kids were young, we often went to the memorial and collection of WWII artifacts. It's impressive. Between the pavement there's a shield with the names of fallen commandos on top of the hill, overlooking land and sea. Close-by is the best Fish and Chips shop of the country. Years ago, I met this old British gentleman. He was somehow related to one of the men who's name was on a remembrance shield. I asked him: "Are you bothered by the fact that here's now a Fish and Chips-shop with people on holiday so close to the spot where these men have fought so hard?" His answer: "No! This is the ultimate sign that he hasn't died for nothing! So that young kids like yours and old people like me can enjoy their meal in freedom and harmony!"

Wise words!

Menno
    Last edited by thieuster; 16th October 2020 at 16:05.

Very wise!

Thanks for posting & thanks to the Dutch community for the remembrance......

Craftsman
    Wooden fuel tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WWII Spitfire wreck discovered. Not known before

Quote Originally Posted by CatalystGuy View Post
    Wooden fuel tank?

It looks to be the remains of the conformal drop tank that was sometimes fitted to the Spitfire to extend its range
    In the picture it’s the light tank between the wheels in front of the carburettor air intake on the belly
    These were wood apparently as it was not a strategic material

The drop tanks you sometimes see in pictures under the wings were made of paper. As per below.

They were also useful for carrying beer
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 16th October 2020 at 19:56.

Craftsman
    Ah ok that makes more sense.