closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Breitling World

Breitling World

OK, in response to a couple of requests to post a picture of this watch, here we go.

It's a Breitling World, a 4 movement quartz watch. I only have a couple of quartz watches in my collection, but this is one of my favorite watches overall.

As indicated by the four crowns, time is set on each movement independently. The main time zone is indicated on a twelve hour dial, while the rest of the dials are 24 hour. Oddly enough, the movement at 3 o'clock on the face is a twelve hour movement, but it has a twenty-four hour dial. I'm not sure why this is, and I've seen at least one picture on the web of this watch with a twelve hour dial in that position.

Also of note is the fact that the entire watch head rotates. That's why this picture looks a bit odd, given the orientation of the watch face to the strap. I presume that this is to facilitate the use of the compass markings on the face of the watch, or perhaps it is to make access to the four crowns a bit easier.

I bought the watch on its original Breitling strap, although it was quite worn and it is a bit small for me, so I put it on this Hirsch strap instead.

As I indicated in my introductory post, I have a special fascination with multi-zone watches, and this is my favorite of the bunch. I first saw this idea executed in the Glycine Airman 7, although at 53 mm case diameter, that watch is simply too big for me to wear comfortably -- the Breitling is a much more manageable 39 mm. Guinand have a very nice watch of this type that is a grail watch for me, and Ball have just introduced one as well.

Does anyone know of any other, similar watch designs?

Life is like a fridge , you only get out what you put in !
    Blog Entries

Re: Breitling World

Now that is one great watch, very very nice indeed. :mrgreen:

Hi John

Never seen a watch like that before, its fantastic.!

Like the way the whole watch head can rotate.!

Thanks
    deano

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Interesting but not for me :(
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

If I saw that for sale, I'd assume it was a fake - just doesn't look right to me :|

Quote Originally Posted by RobDad
    If I saw that for sale, I'd assume it was a fake - just doesn't look right to me :|
    If you think that doesn't look right, you should see it in 18K :(

Master

Clang-clang-clang. Zim-zim zim. Hum-hum-hum. (reciting my mandala)

Looks like Mr Jacobs (and sons) meets Breitling and it won't be for the first time :lol: , after all sexual ambivalence is not punishable by public burnings and hangings in our modern elevated society. Especially when all of us (especially watch designers) float in a green-blu-ish sweet smoke of weed hoping that someone will buy their appalling creations and ease their drug-induced hardons in the morning after. 18K! Bring it on! I'll sniff it under my pillow.

I see pink people. :drunken:

Master

never seen that before 8) nice one

A friend of mine has been after one of these for years.... so if you ever want to part with it!

Here's abit of useless infomation....there is one of these in the 'Suisa' store in Barcelona... at the back in their 'historic' pieces..not for sale.
    So they think its interesting enough to keep hold of.
    Best,
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by James.uk
    A friend of mine has been after one of these for years.... so if you ever want to part with it!

Have your friend take a look at Chrono24 (http://www.chrono24.com), as there are three of them for sale there right now, although at (in my mind) rather inflated prices.

Parx