closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: How precise is reasonable?

Master

How precise is reasonable?

I don’t ‘time’ my watches, unless they seem obviously inaccurate. In the last few weeks I noticed my six-month old Yachtmaster 42mm was losing time. It worked-out at around minus ten seconds a day. I did ponder just setting it one minute ahead, and re-setting every week.
    But I’ve sent it back to be regulated. Still not sure whether it’s worth the trouble, but, they’re not cheap.
    What would you do?

I'm assuming not a serious question, as the obvious answer is it should perform to the stated specs (-2/+2s pd).

I don't, but if the timekeeping is off to the point that you notice it I would definitely send it back so long as it's convenient to do so.

10 seconds a day is not great for a £23,000+ watch.

This was a £28 slower beating handwinder from Russia regulated by me with a screwdriver only and not a clue except push that leaver one way or other.

For a day and a half i could not detect any time loss or gain against an atomic gshock.

13/02/20
    23:35 -1 SEC / OFF WRIST

14/02/20
    07:35
    08:35 -1 SEC / ON WRIST
    09:45 -1 SEC
    12:45 -1 SEC
    14:00 -1 SEC
    15:15 -1 SEC
    16:00 -1 SEC
    18:25 -1 SEC
    19:30 -1 SEC
    20:35 -1 SEC
    21:25 -1 SEC
    22:00 -1 SEC
    23:35 -1 SEC / OFF WRIST

15/02/20
    08:50 -1 SEC / ON WRIST
    09:35 -1 SEC

If its a chronometer then usually within specs.

If it is a vintage, within a minute per day is fine.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    I'm not sure I'd have wanted the hassle of sending it off for that, but I would have certainly have sought to amble into RSJ when in the vicinity (or via whatever booking arrangements they require in the current circ/s). My SD43 used to be more or less bang-on but is now averaging -3 per day, and that's beginning to bug me, so I'd certainly think -10 actionable.

Master
    Not much of a hassle; dropped it off at the local Rolex shop; Rolex said it was out of spec and should be returned. But , despite that, still not sure if it was worth the bother. Anyway, wearing a quartz watch for now.
    Last edited by paskinner; 8th December 2020 at 15:49.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by paskinner View Post
    Not much of a hassle; dropped it off at the local Rolex shop
    Admittedly I would regard that as more of a hassle than most as I don't really like the thought of the high turnover staff in my nearest Goldsmiths handling my watch or the process. You almost certainly have a better AD!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom-P View Post
    Admittedly I would regard that as more of a hassle than most as I don't really like the thought of the high turnover staff in my nearest Goldsmiths handling my watch or the process. You almost certainly have a better AD!
    I only seem to buy from the smaller independent shops. Just hope they survive. Not so keen on the chains. In fact I’ve never bought from them. Too anonymous.

As others have said, you paid for a precision instrument and it's not working within spec within 6 months, so it seems to need some attention.

If it had been 2.5 seconds a day (rather than 2) then I might say don't worry, but 10 is quite a lot for a high spec (and price) watch.

I've got a £45 Vostok that arrived doing 0s/d and half a dozen Seiko NH35 movement watches that can match or better yours, so a Rolex should be able to do better than 10s/d.

You did the right thing, I think.

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

I’d have sent it back (or taken it to St. James myself). -10spd would annoy me when it’s so far outside spec. I’d be ok if it was only a bit out though, I have a watch that gains 2.5 to 3 seconds per day (spec +/-2sd) and I’m ok with that.

Grand Master
    Definitely worth getting it regulated, you pay an arm and a leg for these watches and you’ve every right to expect better. I’d ask for a full set of timegrapher figures too, can’t see why they shouldn’t share the data with you, you own the watch! Seeing a good set of figures gives you the peace of mind that all is well.

Master
    I have done the same Peter. My watches were +6spd and +4spd and that was enough to annoy me. Came back after a few weeks from RSC and now +1spd so back within spec, and happy :)

Grand Master
    For anyone planning to send a watch back for regulating I suggest waiting till the figures are consistent.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Precision and accuracy are not interchangeable terms. A watch can be, for example, precisely 10.3 seconds a day slow, which would mean that it was not keeping accurate time.

Blog Entries
    Peter. I would have (and do) send my Rolex, or walk in to RSJ, for regulation if consistently loosing / gaining outside specification. Which is now +-2sec/day for a modern Rolex.

Do RSJ do it while you wait?

Master
    Some 86000 seconds in a day, so a ten second error is very tiny indeed. But as Rolex make a point of their precision , I’ll hold them to it. Expect to see it again in mid January.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdoc View Post
    Do RSJ do it while you wait?
    Yes.

Arrangements may be slightly different at the moment in terms of booking a slot rather than just walking in, but RSJ certainly do while-you-wait regulations.

Some 86000 seconds in a day...
    In fact there are 24 x 60 x 60 = 86400 seconds in a day. Thus you could be considered to be out by 40 times as much as your Rolex.

Perhaps it might have been more reasonable to have booked yourself into St. James and sent the watch home to await your regulation :-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Precision and accuracy are not interchangeable terms. A watch can be, for example, precisely 10.3 seconds a day slow, which would mean that it was not keeping accurate time.
    i would suggest a watch that looses precisely 10.3sec/d is very accurate. I remember correction tables for chronometers - the key was to have a stable gain or loss - then just by adding a correction factor gave a highly accurate time.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Yes.

Arrangements may be slightly different at the moment in terms of booking a slot rather than just walking in, but RSJ certainly do while-you-wait regulations.
    Do they?

They dont at Kings Hill ...

Yes.

Thank you 👍

Master
    It’s a nuisance for sure but your very expensive watch is out of the manufacturer’s proudly published specs, it needs sorting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MartynJC (UK) View Post
    i would suggest a watch that looses precisely 10.3sec/d is very accurate. I remember correction tables for chronometers - the key was to have a stable gain or loss - then just by adding a correction factor gave a highly accurate time.
    Fair enough. I can modify my statement & say that if a watch loses 35 minutes and 43.68 seconds a day that is a precise statement to 2 decimal points. It wouldn't be a very accurate watch though ;-)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by trident-7 View Post
    Fair enough. I can modify my statement & say that if a watch loses 35 minutes and 43.68 seconds a day that is a precise statement to 2 decimal points. It wouldn't be a very accurate watch though ;-)
    Damn - wrong way round!! You are right - in terms of accuracy and precision definitions.

I had the definitions reversed - I just checked - the watch would be high precision if it deviates by 32m 23s /d consistently - meaning if it was regulated it would (most likely) be capable of being highly accurate - as the deviation is constant. (And so if applying a delta value of that amount daily you could derive the actual time.)
    Last edited by MartynJC (UK); 9th December 2020 at 21:24.

It is strange in so far as now I've found the love for high end quartz (eg 9f) and reconciled myself to the fact they are just as 'mechanical' as a non quartz (just the power source is a battery not a rotor/hand wind) that the watch needs to be dead on. My GS 9F hasn't deviated a second in the 2 weeks I've had it. I kind of wonder why I'd want anything less accurate, not that I particularly need that accuracy but now I have it I'm not sure why I ever accepted anything less! Kind of like what is the point of my mechanical watches when you can get something like a Grand Seiko which is impeccably made but with the benefit of a super accurate quartz movement.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master

I don’t ‘time’ my watches, unless they seem obviously inaccurate. In the last few weeks I noticed my six-month old Yachtmaster 42mm was losing time. It worked-out at around minus ten seconds a day. I did ponder just setting it one minute ahead, and re-setting every week.
    But I’ve sent it back to be regulated. Still not sure whether it’s worth the trouble, but, they’re not cheap.
    What would you do?
    Stop mucking about and by a decent quartz or G Shock if you want accurate. Wear your Yachtmaster as jewellery. I can understand why you are disappointed . I would be if I’d spent that much money and it was less accurate than a £300 bulova:)

Update... having read the whole thread, good on you. Stick to your quartz and pinkies crossed for you and the January sailing weather when you get it back.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stilgoe1972; 9th December 2020 at 22:30.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    It is strange in so far as now I've found the love for high end quartz (eg 9f) and reconciled myself to the fact they are just as 'mechanical' as a non quartz (just the power source is a battery not a rotor/hand wind) that the watch needs to be dead on. My GS 9F hasn't deviated a second in the 2 weeks I've had it. I kind of wonder why I'd want anything less accurate, not that I particularly need that accuracy but now I have it I'm not sure why I ever accepted anything less! Kind of like what is the point of my mechanical watches when you can get something like a Grand Seiko which is impeccably made but with the benefit of a super accurate quartz movement.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    You sound astonished by the 9F. Like its your first one :). How many have you had so far?

With Rolex I have always personally accepted between +4 and -2.
    Anything outside that and it goes back to Rolex.
    I have returned a few over the years, and everyone was returned running much more accurately.

I always drop into the conversation that I have a sub £200 Seiko automatic, and that can manage +2 sec/day, so I expect a Rolex to at least match that

Quote Originally Posted by Toshk View Post
    You sound astonished by the 9F. Like its your first one :). How many have you had so far?
    No I've had loads but it is the first time I have spent the time to contemplate what a superb movement it is. I used to feel quartz was in some way inferior to mechanical as it was less 'romantic' or less 'mechanical' but I've realised that is not the case

Just had my SD43 regulated. Came back within a month. Worn it since Friday and hasn’t lost or gained a second. Well worth the minor inconvenience dropping the watch at the AD.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanb741 View Post
    No I've had loads but it is the first time I have spent the time to contemplate what a superb movement it is. I used to feel quartz was in some way inferior to mechanical as it was less 'romantic' or less 'mechanical' but I've realised that is not the case
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Suspect this is just a phase :)

Master
    I’m a big fan of the 9f movement. If you need real precision, this is it. We all know that a mechanical design cannot compete. Simply no contest. But the ‘romance’ of all those gears and springs, centuries of design , is quite compelling in its own way. And it’s still worth getting it running as well as possible.
    But I’ll always have a quartz on stand-by. They deserve more love.

As someone said, you really need a radio controlled quartz for the ultimate in accuracy, but how many really need that?

I had a radio-controlled Citizen once, but it only once reset itself to the correct timezone when I travelled without my intervention (I also couldn't read the tiny digital screens without my glasses on! )

Each to their own, of course, but we all know quartz watches can be incredibly accurate, but I can't see me ever believing that a quartz movement is as 'romantic' as a mechanical one.

In the same way as a Tesla will never be as thrilling as a Ferrari 458, quartz may be super-accurate, but it will never make me marvel at the skill to put it together.

My Breitling B-1 is incredibly accurate (last time I checked I think it was 5 seconds off time.is, but I hadn't reset it in over a year then, probably more), but I'm more impressed by the accuracy of my Speedmaster (more or less -2 s/d to +3 s/d on the timegrapher).

I probably take the technology in a quartz watch for granted, but that's the way it is.

What I can never quite understand is why dive computers seem to keep such terrible time...

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Craftsman
    Send it back to get it regulated. So you can stop wondering and enjoy it more when you get it back.

To answer the OP, 10 secs per day on a superlative chronometer grade is not acceptable and it is perfectly reasonable to expect it to be put right. I have a 2018 BLNR which is sometimes just outside of -/+ 2 secs per day. It bugs me slightly but I'm not going to send it in just yet. If it gets worse then I will for sure.

I'm a fan of the quartz 9F movement and I think there is a place for a high end quartz it in every collection. In case any of you haven't seen it, Hodinkee made a good case for it a few years back: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...ith-caliber-9f