closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Talk me into a Tag Connected

Talk me into a Tag Connected

Hi all.

Alongside my collection, I have always utilised a Garmin of some description - mostly for tracking fitness activities, steps, HR etc...

Anyway. My trusty Forerunner235 is on its last legs so I get to replace it with something shiny.

The obvious choice is a new Garmin Fenix/Forerunner OR an Apple Watch, which has been on the radar for years. Although, as a watch guy, the 2020 Tag Connected peaks my interest a little.

I’ve read the reviews and most seem to think it’s good but pricey and the WearOS isn’t as good as the Apple software.

Does anyone have one who can convince me to try it? What do we think on TZ?
    It’ll mostly be used for short runs (<1hr) and during the work day - heavyish engineering environment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by coldors View Post

I’ve read the reviews and most seem to think it’s good but pricey and the WearOS isn’t as good as the Apple software.
    Not simply the WearOS - you are paying for really old tech - the Apple Watch uses stage of the art chipsets because Apple control everything. The Tag connected uses a tired old Snapdragon 3100. Even if you bought the top of the range one, you'd still be $500 better off and that's before you even consider app support...

Craftsman
    I don’t know much about these so forgive me if I’m talking rubbish but the way I see it is that the Tag version will be fairly expensive and will very quickly become obsolete with it being a tech product.

I would imagine they are significantly more expensive than an Apple Watch.

Of course the software can be updated but the hardware must have its limits and will be seriously dated in just a couple of years time.

I could be completely wrong on this, I have never really looked into them.

Master
    [QUOTE=Reiver;5577035]I don’t know much about these so forgive me if I’m talking rubbish but the way I see it is that the Tag version will be fairly expensive and will very quickly become obsolete with it being a tech product.

I would imagine they are significantly more expensive than an Apple Watch.

Of course the software can be updated but the hardware must have its limits and will be seriously dated in just a couple of years time.

I could be completely wrong on this, I have never really looked into them.[QUOTE]

That is the way I see it. IMO these smart watches / training watches are pretty much disposables. When I got my fenix 6 I looked at the MARQ range, and although they are a big upgrade, I couldn’t justify the extra money for something that I will probably upgrade in 3-5 years.

That being said, there probably is a viable second hand market that I haven’t looked into.(for when you want to sell to fund the upgrade!)
    Last edited by Ghost Chilli; 5th November 2020 at 08:29.

Waste of money IMO. If you're going to go for a smartwatch, Apple watch is the choice all day long IMO.

Master
    I’ve also tried talking myself into one of these, and have um’d and r’d over the ones that have come up on SC. As others have said though, and having done a bit of research on them, they just don’t hold up next to an Apple Watch for something that’s not going to get a lot of wrist time. I have a series 5 Nike edition, that I use on runs and at work (large scale construction sites) It cant be faulted for what it is, and with a screen cover on while at work still looks like new. If your an iPhone user it’s a no brainier.

Journeyman
    The processor is already outdated. Wearables are still fairly new technology in the grand scheme of things and for smartwatches, the generational jumps are actually fairly significant.

I don't think its worth going in for a "luxury" model unless:

a) money is no object and you can afford to keep upgrading' and/or

b) you don't mind being stuck with performance that will drop to the lower end of the scale in a year or two for top end price

Quote Originally Posted by M1011 View Post
    Waste of money IMO. If you're going to go for a smartwatch, Apple watch is the choice all day long IMO.
    A lot depends on the phone you have. Wear OS plays with Apple phones but works much better with Android. If you are an Android user good luck using an Apple watch...

As for the connected a lot depends what you want the watch for - a Connected feels like a "real" watch and gives you notifications on your wrist. Yes it isn't state of the art but for me, that and not being the ubiquitous Apple watch is enough.

Oh well!
    You have pretty much solidified my position I think, I wanted to be told that it’s great but was fairly sure it would be a similar tone on here as to the other reviews I’d already consumed.

I’m not desperate for a bonafide smart watch, so I think I’ll go for another Garmin.

Thanks all.

Blog Entries
    Oh well!
    You have pretty much solidified my position I think, I wanted to be told that it’s great but was fairly sure it would be a similar tone on here as to the other reviews I’d already consumed.

I’m not desperate for a bonafide smart watch, so I think I’ll go for another Garmin.

Thanks all.
    Maybe check out Fitbit's options - I think they updated the range recently too?

Craftsman
    https://internetofshit.net/home

For all things "connected"

Blog Entries
    So, sorry for the late input here. Now under no circumstances take my advice as wrote as my reputation for taking a bath on watches is legendary. However, I have had all three generations of the connected and this version is, by far, the best. I am a bit of a technopygmy so cannot comment on the processor et al, but, for me it does everything I need it to do and looks so much better than an Apple Watch doing it.
    They are expensive, but I sold my Gen 2 connected, and it’s accessories, and they almost paid for my watch. I lost no money on the straps whatsoever, the watch was nearly 3 years old (albeit in exceptional condition as it was worn quite rarely) and sold for nearly £800. The gen 1 was quite frankly shockingly bad and returned after 8 days.
    The latest Gen 3 is very well made, I went for the black Ti version and it looks the dogs danglies. It has had more comments, than any other watch I own. This is especially true when using Googlepay, but this time the watch does also function with the Apple ecosystem. It is expensive, it is a toy as well as a tool, but this place is rarely about cost and I do enjoy wearing my connected.
    A few very average pictures to support.
    James

Hi fellas, sorry for the late conclusion to this one.

Taking your comments onboard and countless YouTube reviews... I went for the Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire!

I still like the connected but figure this is more suited to my lifestyle right now - it’s much more rugged, cheaper and a better fitness tracker. If not as sleek and smart as the Tag.

So far very impressed, one downside is Garmin pay has a limited list of compatible bank cards, so I’ve been unable to use that feature. Otherwise, excellent.

Now to get that 5km time down during this lockdown

Craftsman
    Hi fellas, sorry for the late conclusion to this one.

Taking your comments onboard and countless YouTube reviews... I went for the Garmin Fenix 6 Sapphire!

I still like the connected but figure this is more suited to my lifestyle right now - it’s much more rugged, cheaper and a better fitness tracker. If not as sleek and smart as the Tag.

So far very impressed, one downside is Garmin pay has a limited list of compatible bank cards, so I’ve been unable to use that feature. Otherwise, excellent.

Now to get that 5km time down during this lockdown

Was reading through this thread from the start, thinking of recommending the fenix 6, so glad to read your conclusion.

I have the same model. Wears better than previous fenix versions, with more compact lugs and the sapphire adds a quality look and feel. I also tried on the smaller 42mm "s" model which just felt far too small, despite me being used to a 40-42mm "proper" watch.

Of course, a fair amount of the capability has gone unused, but great for the usual exercise tracking that I use mainly for cycling/running which will be familiar from other Garmin's. I've become quite addicted to the body battery, continuous heart rate, plus stress and sleep tracking which require constant wear, so have taken to wearing the fenix on one wrist and a proper watch on the other (like a weirdo according to my wife)😂
    Last edited by D4RW1N; 6th January 2021 at 23:31.

Quote Originally Posted by D4RW1N View Post
    Was reading through this thread from the start, thinking of recommending the fenix 6, so glad to read your conclusion.

I have the same model. Wears better than previous fenix versions, with more compact lugs and the sapphire adds a quality look and feel. I also tried on the smaller 42mm "s" model which just felt far too small, despite me being used to a 40-42mm "proper" watch.

Of course, a fair amount of the capability has gone unused, but great for the usual exercise tracking that I use mainly for cycling/running which will be familiar from other Garmin's. I've become quite addicted to the body battery, continuous heart rate, plus stress and sleep tracking which require constant wear, so have taken to wearing the fenix on one wrist and a proper watch on the other (like a weirdo according to my wife)
    I share your sentiments - there’s lots on this watch that I will likely never use but I had a forerunner235 before so the Fenix has proven very easy to gel with.

Size is good, sapphire is nice but the bezel/surround is going to get dinged up quickly, I can tell! Already bumped it very gently on my vice and it’s marked up. Oh well, it’s intended to be worn most days so I won’t worry.

Continuous heart rate on the main screen is good, along with steps and the body battery is great! I really think Garmin have hit the sweet spot with this watch - it actively encourages me to stay active with a range of useful metrics and widgets. The forerunner that preceded it was good for activity tracking but otherwise not a very engaging watch.

Played with the faces and browsed the Garmin store thing for alternatives but haven’t found one that beats the default face yet.