TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: For your eyes only...

Master

For your eyes only...

Picked up something I've been waiting for a while.... :D :D :D :D

Back side...

And another one...

And her face....

a bit of horological history on the wrist...(any info would be appreciated :wink: )

Have a nice bank holiday !!

Re: For your eyes only...

What looks like a very nice example of a '56 redialled Omega 6B/159 - well done!

Don't know the first thing about military watches, but to my eyes, that's gorgeous!

I'm no military expert Mario but shouldn't it look like this?

Cheers,
    Neil.

They used to look like that (Neil's) in the 40s but were recased as well as redialled, with no particular uniform style to redialling.

One thing though... all '56 watches I've seen have much bigger leading (space) between each line, not all bunched up as in this example. Also, the digits are more letter spaced than other examples, although the font is the same. Not saying there's anything wrong, just saying it's slightly different.

Master

Thanks for the comments guys, I have been considering it too...I am pretty certain it is re-dial because the hands show the blueing under the white coating, so it started probably as a white dialed 56.
    The other thing is that at some point, the owner, drilled the fixed bars out, so now it uses spring bars, I only discovered this after taking the watch back home...

The question is, was it redialed while still a service watch or after ???

The other question I have is, how much would the drilled out bars have affected its value ?? or how much do these go for these days ?...

Quote Originally Posted by pulga69
    Thanks for the comments guys, I have been considering it too...I am pretty certain it is re-dial because the hands show the blueing under the white coating, so it started probably as a white dialed 56.
    The other thing is that at some point, the owner, drilled the fixed bars out, so now it uses spring bars, I only discovered this after taking the watch back home...

The question is, was it redialed while still a service watch or after ???

The other question I have is, how much would the drilled out bars have affected its value ?? or how much do these go for these days ?...
    When it was redialed is hard if not impossible to say.

You can have fixed bars installed by a competent watchmaker.

About the price: haven't got a clue.

They were all redialed and recased in 1956, along with the steel blue hands being painted with tritium. I doubt very much if it has been redialled again since 1956.

Like I mentioned earlier, all these watches started off as white dialed, blue steeled hands watches that were issued in the 40s. It wouldn't have been white faced in 1956 and then redialled to black at a later date.

It gets confusing because some of these watches were recased in 1956 but the original white dial and hands were left alone, but I'd say that these were in the minority.

Here's a good example. My watch started off it's life as a 6B/159 issued in the 40s, just like Claudio's lovely example here. (photo courtesy of Claudio, hope you don't mind Claudio).

It was then changed in 1956 to meet the new uprated spec and then designated a 6B/159 '56. You can clearly see how the blue hands have been painted with tritium.

Master

Very interesting, thank you for the info.
    I must say, despite being a hughe mil-watch fan, I lack the knowledge that you guys have.
    Thanks again, Mario

Master

whatever the history its lovely

enjoy it 8)

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bretta
    They were all redialed and recased in 1956, along with the steel blue hands being painted with tritium. I doubt very much if it has been redialled again since 1956.

Like I mentioned earlier, all these watches started off as white dialed, blue steeled hands watches that were issued in the 40s. It wouldn't have been white faced in 1956 and then redialled to black at a later date.

It gets confusing because some of these watches were recased in 1956 but the original white dial and hands were left alone, but I'd say that these were in the minority.

Here's a good example. My watch started off it's life as a 6B/159 issued in the 40s, just like Claudio's lovely example here. (photo courtesy of Claudio, hope you don't mind Claudio).

It was then changed in 1956 to meet the new uprated spec and then designated a 6B/159 '56. You can clearly see how the blue hands have been painted with tritium.
    My JLC was presumably redialled with a black face and has "proper" lumed hands (ie not just painted over), but was never recased. I wonder when it was done. (Well, between `43 and `56 I suppose). Do you think your AM stamp was applied at the same time? Mine doesn´t have the AM mark.

Hi James,

Like I mentioned before, there doesn't seem to be any uniform style to these watches, other than the case. Most had their hands painted as they used the original handset, and the blue steel would not have shown up against the black background. I guess they used a different handset on yours.

I can't imagine why yours has a different case to mine if it's a "56. Is it stamped AM, 6B/159, ****/56? If it is, then yours would have been recased as that was the whole point, bringing these watches up to a better spec from their 40s spec. Haven't seen another '56 that didn't have the AM mark.

Are your sure that yours isn't an original 6B/159 in its orignal case from the 40s, as I've seen plenty of these with and plenty without the AM stamp. But then I don't see why yours would have a black face.

I'd love to see a photo of it to identify what you have.

The bottom line... all 6B/159s with a '56 stamp were recased in 1956, not before and not after.

Apprentice

Sorry, I wasn´t clear - mine isn´t a `56, just a 6B. Just an oddball I suppose! Curious than some of these escaped recasing, though a lot of them must have been surplussed after the cessation of hostilities.
    The hands are similar to, but different than, those on my JLC WWW

Heres a pic.

Beautiful watch James. Unusual I'd say. I guess many 40s watches were no longer in service by 1956 therefore avoiding the upgrade. Also, I don't suppose all watches in service were selected for the upgrade either

Apprentice

I don´t actually think I have seen another like mine.
    I´d like to find a `56. Looks really good in the photo and seems like a better size. Are they stainless? Anyone selling? Or a Mark XI?

I've not seen one like yours either.

I've only ever seen two other JLCs, a few Longines, but mostly Omega for the 56 spec. Yes, the cases are bigger than the 40s cases and they are made of stainless steel.

I'd love a JLC Mark XI but I'm afraid they are now way out of my price range for an old watch.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by Bretta
    I'd love a JLC Mark XI but I'm afraid they are now out of my price range.
    Mine too, but I´ll keep fishing for a bargain! :drunken:

I must admit that I still look out for them. I was taking a trip down Old Bond street in search for a Panerai about two years ago, and there was one for sale for 1K. I thought that was expensive at the time but wished I'd have grabbed it now.

Blog Entries

classics :wink:

Journeyman

Superb watch!