timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 175 of 366 FirstFirst ... 75125165173174175176177185225275 ... LastLast
Results 8,701 to 8,750 of 18286

Thread: More bike related stuff

More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Metalic Mud View Post
    Would not worry too much.
    Don’t think you have to pay VAT on Crash Helmets.

I will soon find out. Have a helmet coming from France via DHL today.
    I think you’re right on the VAT front as helmets are zero rated in the UK. However it depends upon if the seller or courier correctly classifies it on the import docs. There is also then the separate issue of potential import duty separate from the VAT and then any arbitrary handling/admin fee that the courier decides to impose.

I’d be interested to know how you get on though. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki

I would be very surprised if there is any duty on a crash helmet as it is a safety device.

Provided the do the commodity code and invoice correctly you should not have anything to pay i think.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    I think you’re right on the VAT front as helmets are zero rated in the UK. However it depends upon if the seller or courier correctly classifies it on the import docs. There is also then the separate issue of potential import duty separate from the VAT and then any arbitrary handling/admin fee that the courier decides to impose.

I’d be interested to know how you get on though. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalki
    The French website states this message.

Attention!
    Our Service: We always pay any applicable customs charges plus the VAT on your order before shipping it to you.
    So you can be sure there’ll be no unwelcome surprises. Simply place your order and enjoy!

Helmet is around £160. So not too bothered if I get charged. Obviously rather not pay any extra.
    I will update when it arrives.

But some courier companies send the bill after the delivery. Not sure about DHL.
    Also, not purchased anything else since Brexit.

Master
    But some courier companies send the bill after the delivery. Not sure about DHL.
    About 4 years ago I bought some long tube headers for my car. They came from Austrailia and I was of course expecting to pay VAT etc.

Nothing, no bill no paperwork. Mmm seems I’ve got away with it. The parts arrived in Jan 17... In Oct 17 I get a bill from DHL for Vat and Duty.

I rang to find out what was going on, to be told that back in Jan, there system was hacked, and loads of delivery info went missing, they’d got the system sorted so pay up.

Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    About 4 years ago I bought some long tube headers for my car. They came from Austrailia and I was of course expecting to pay VAT etc.

Nothing, no bill no paperwork. Mmm seems I’ve got away with it. The parts arrived in Jan 17... In Oct 17 I get a bill from DHL for Vat and Duty.

I rang to find out what was going on, to be told that back in Jan, there system was hacked, and loads of delivery info went missing, they’d got the system sorted so pay up.
    You did pay, back in January, they must have lost the details when they were hacked .. 😄

Master
    A very excited mate has just rung me.....

Deposit paid on this...👍👍

Quick Shifter

I ordered a Quickshifter for my bike from a well known Japanese online parts supplier last Monday.
    Fully expecting to pay VAT and an import change I was gobsmaked when it rocked up yesterday without a charge in sight, 4 days from Japan !!!

I also ordered an OEM part from a main Honda dealer about 15 miles from me at the same time, the part was in stock, posted out Tuesday, yet no sign of it yet.

Funny old world.

Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Having had a think, it's clear that whilst a bit of an edge case, advertising my late mate's GS in SC would still constitute advertising for sale something that didn't belong to me.

Rather than try and abuse SC, can I say instead that there's an advert on UKGSer with a bit more information and price etc

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showth...TE-estate-sale
    Sorry to hear about your friend Gyp. I've bumped the thread on UKGSER and I think if you send Eddie a message you should be able to also list it in SC without issue.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Sorry to hear about your friend Gyp. I've bumped the thread on UKGSER and I think if you send Eddie a message you should be able to also list it in SC without issue.

Cheers, I saw your bump.

Don't worry, I already messaged Eddie and he said that he was willing to flex the rules on this occasion, but I realised that if they were flexed now, it might cause problems later.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    Cheers, I saw your bump.

Don't worry, I already messaged Eddie and he said that he was willing to flex the rules on this occasion, but I realised that if they were flexed now, it might cause problems later.
    Gyp I recon 95% of bike riders on TZ follow this thread, so Im not sure if you would gain any more coverage. You might get a nibble on UK from dirtybiker. Chester Motorradd might be worth a call as suggested.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Gyp I recon 95% of bike riders on TZ follow this thread, so Im not sure if you would gain any more coverage. You might get a nibble on UK from dirtybiker. Chester Motorradd might be worth a call as suggested.
    My thoughts exactly Steve.

I've got a few nibbles on UKGSER. I've contacted a couple of dealers and they are coming back with similar figures (with the independent suggested over there coming back with a bit more).

I'm trying to squeeze the supplying dealer a bit more as for them it's more of a restocking than a buy-in, so we'll see; much as I'd like it to go to a private buyer, the key for me is simplicity and lack of hassle for his wife.

We'll see!

R9T getting some upgrades over the winter for the coming season
    A bespoke rear shock and spring unit, a mainstand for ease of maintenance and some progressive fork springs with heavier fork oil...bring on the weather....

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    I have just been advised by a reputable delivery company that there are new rules which have just been issued by HMRC in the past 48hrs.
    (Appreciate we are going OT here a bit, but thought this could be useful)

Here's a useful link to keep handy that summarises things ...
    https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nal-post-users
    In summary:
    Goods value Customs charges applicable
    £0.01 to £135 No Customs Duty
    No Import VAT
    £135.01 and greater Customs Duty due,
    Import VAT due

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post

In summary:
    No Import VAT
    Import VAT due
    Yes - very useful for items sent by mail / Royal Mail / Parcelforce. I'm still on the lookout for the rules on used vehicles coming over the Channel from the EU.

Master
    Parts for the Ducati still arriving, but parts I actually need to make progress are still not here. Lockdown boredom is growing..

Master
    Getting towards the end of my winter project... not long now hopefully.

Andy.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    Getting towards the end of my winter project... not long now hopefully.

Andy.
    Rather nice that. Would you call that copper? Very fetching whatever though.

Master
    It’s metallic bronze and Pearl white. Lighting in my garage isn’t the best to be fair.

Looks like a quality paint job though, hats off to you!

My latest acquisition. It’s not a Kawasaki Marc

I’m thinking of doing an LC homage paint job, probably the Mars bar colour scheme.

If I can sort out a belly pan and nose fairing to make it “Pro Am” then even better!

You're closer to this one

The Gauloises version was nice, too

'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

No no no, it’s got to be the original rather than the YPVS!

Although I do like the candy blue.

Well, it seems like a lifetime ago that I ordered the bits, but the bike is booked in to have it's "black conversion" this Saturday. The first scheduled appointment had to be cancelled as the sprocket cover hadn't arrived (very irritating).

I must admit that the bike has been somewhat forgotten over the past two to three weeks, as i've been totally focussed (excuse the pun) and the new photography business that I'm preparing to launch. However, it'll be nice to have a reason to ride it, assuming I don't get another last-minute cancellation again.

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Well, it seems like a lifetime ago that I ordered the bits, but the bike is booked in to have it's "black conversion" this Saturday. The first scheduled appointment had to be cancelled as the sprocket cover hadn't arrived (very irritating).

I must admit that the bike has been somewhat forgotten over the past two to three weeks, as i've been totally focussed (excuse the pun) and the new photography business that I'm preparing to launch. However, it'll be nice to have a reason to ride it, assuming I don't get another last-minute cancellation again.
    Ahhh.....that's why you've been MIA on here for the last few weeks. New business sounds interesting...what's the story?

Who's doing the 'black conversion', Triumph North London?

Quote Originally Posted by skmark View Post
    Ahhh.....that's why you've been MIA on here for the last few weeks. New business sounds interesting...what's the story?

Who's doing the 'black conversion', Triumph North London?
    Yes, Triumph North London.

The new business proposition is here. The page is hidden at the moment (so doesn't appear in the navigation menu) as I need to substitute the current photos - which are just placeholders - with my own. Getting a portfolio of stock headshots together is obviously somewhat challenging during lockdown, though! Still, I've used the time to restructure the site (losing a couple of unnecessary pages, and therefore extra clicks to navigate), write/add a privacy policy, build up a rather nifty pricing schedule for corporate work (I can just plug any staff number into it and it'll calculate the incremental costings), buy some additional kit that I'll need, etc.

At the appropriate time I'll launch it on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram etc and then hope that it takes off.
    Last edited by learningtofly; 2nd February 2021 at 14:51.

make sure you join and get your name around as many bike forums and groups as you can as a photographer to combine your business and hobby into one (actually enjoying going to work is a rare thing these days )

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    Looks like a quality paint job though, hats off to you!

My latest acquisition. It’s not a Kawasaki Marc

I’m thinking of doing an LC homage paint job, probably the Mars bar colour scheme.

If I can sort out a belly pan and nose fairing to make it “Pro Am” then even better!
    That looks very much like a XJ 650 I had about 82.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by pugster View Post
    make sure you join and get your name around as many bike forums and groups as you can as a photographer to combine your business and hobby into one (actually enjoying going to work is a rare thing these days )
    Yes, that's a good idea, and at some point I'll look to add bike photography as a specific product.

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post

In summary:
    No Import VAT
    Import VAT due
    Although the effect of that table is correct, the table is not correct.

0.01-135 UKP - Customs Duty & Import VAT settled by the vendor
    135.01 UKP and greater - Customs Duty & VAT settled by the purchaser or through their intermediary

Quote Originally Posted by Groundrush View Post
    It's an F1 frame that's had a new swingarm made and some other bits n bobs. I'll be building it as a sort of road legal XR69 using a GSXR750 oil boiler lump, if the government ever let me see it again that is. No idea about Steve, sorry.
    Very nice - enjoy the build up, I completely underestimated the work mine needed (mostly because I didn't want to use the regular Harris fairing etc.) It is about the only car/bike I really regret selling. Mostly because you would always have been able to update it (mine was 1990) so brakes/suspension etc. but of course probably a motor (or not) too.

Such a brilliant bike, it weighed less than an FZR600 but had an FZR1000 EXUP motor in it, the Fireblade hadn't arrived yet so it was as if someone had used a time machine to bring a bike back from the future.

I later found out they only ever made about 50 Harriboxes so picking one up now would not be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by MB2 View Post
    Although the effect of that table is correct, the table is not correct.

0.01-135 UKP - Customs Duty & Import VAT settled by the vendor
    135.01 UKP and greater - Customs Duty & VAT settled by the purchaser or through their intermediary
    If you can put up with his drone, there's some useful info here too;

The French website states this message.

Attention!
    Our Service: We always pay any applicable customs charges plus the VAT on your order before shipping it to you.
    So you can be sure there’ll be no unwelcome surprises. Simply place your order and enjoy!

Helmet is around £160. So not too bothered if I get charged. Obviously rather not pay any extra.
    I will update when it arrives.

Also, not purchased anything else since Brexit.
    Has it arrived? Any additional charges?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes, Triumph North London.

The new business proposition is here. The page is hidden at the moment (so doesn't appear in the navigation menu) as I need to substitute the current photos - which are just placeholders - with my own. Getting a portfolio of stock headshots together is obviously somewhat challenging during lockdown, though! Still, I've used the time to restructure the site (losing a couple of unnecessary pages, and therefore extra clicks to navigate), write/add a privacy policy, build up a rather nifty pricing schedule for corporate work (I can just plug any staff number into it and it'll calculate the incremental costings), buy some additional kit that I'll need, etc.

At the appropriate time I'll launch it on LinkedIn, Facebook, Instagram etc and then hope that it takes off.
    Looks great Tony, though I'm sure it'll look even better once you have your own pics on there. I think the idea of a vehicle category offering my also broaden your appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by aa388 View Post
    That looks very much like a XJ 650 I had about 82.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app
    Yes it does, I’d almost forgotten about the XJ650.

It was a toss up between the XJ650, GS650 or Z650 for me and I ended up a Z650.

Master
    Bit more work done today... hopefully get the exhaust fitted this weekend and then it’s just some snagging.

More bike related stuff

That looks nice but is the tank dented in the second photo?

Edit : no, it’s the light reflecting from the mirror.

Master
    You just about gave me a coronary there...

Craftsman
    This has been an ornament in my living room for about 25 years, recently started work to get it ready for the road... before I'm too old the ride it. Brakes and master cylinders all rebuilt with new seals, electrics gone through... most works surprisingly. Except one coil, which is no longer available, so swapped both for a modern pair of much better dyna coils and leads, in homemade mount. Hoped to get it back on the road last summer, but C-19 put paid to that. Hopefully this summer..

That’s one of the nicest lounge ornaments I’ve ever seen

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    That’s one of the nicest lounge ornaments I’ve ever seen
    If a tad on the large side
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Merch131 View Post
    This has been an ornament in my living room for about 25 years, recently started work to get it ready for the road... before I'm too old the ride it. Brakes and master cylinders all rebuilt with new seals, electrics gone through... most works surprisingly. Except one coil, which is no longer available, so swapped both for a modern pair of much better dyna coils and leads, in homemade mount. Hoped to get it back on the road last summer, but C-19 put paid to that. Hopefully this summer..

This thread has been running since Aug2018, and only now you come up with gems like this.... you’re a bad man😈😈

Wow!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
    This thread has been running since Aug2018, and only now you come up with gems like this.... you’re a bad man
    I rarely look in this part of the site, but anyway I have a few bikes, owned loads over the years. Here's one of my other more standard bikes..

I rarely look in this part of the site, but anyway I have a few bikes, owned loads over the years. Here's one of my other more standard bikes..

That's lovely. I keep looking at 851s even though I've never ridden a sports bike, just because they look so good (I know this is an 888 BTW!).

I remember your 851 being listed in SC around the same time I passed DAS and thinking 'that would be absolutely fine for my first bike'!

Quote Originally Posted by j0hnbarker View Post
    I remember your 851 being listed in SC around the same time I passed DAS and thinking 'that would be absolutely fine for my first bike'!
    I was eyeing up a brand new Honda SP-2 as my first bike while doing the DAS at the courses run by the dealer..............

WTF was I thinking !

That would have been interesting as a first bike......

To be fair, once I was used to it a bit the SP2 was a really nice bike to ride. Didn't have it wide open throttle often, but it still had plenty of go to it. Modern bikes pushing 200 BHP must be insane (on a Dyno my SP2 was pushing out just shy of 150 with 82lb/ft across most of the rev range)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackal View Post
    I was eyeing up a brand new Honda SP-2 as my first bike while doing the DAS at the courses run by the dealer..............

WTF was I thinking !
    Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    888....very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post

To be fair, once I was used to it a bit the SP2 was a really nice bike to ride. Didn't have it wide open throttle often, but it still had plenty of go to it. Modern bikes pushing 200 BHP must be insane (on a Dyno my SP2 was pushing out just shy of 150 with 82lb/ft across most of the rev range)

150 sounds a tad optimistic, but it will certainly pull your arms out of the sockets if you try!

Bought a BMW R1100s BoxerCup Replika instead.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyvern971 View Post

Absolutely guarantee you that the dyno was broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    She lives !! And I’m quite pleased with how she’s turned out.
    Managed to get her completed at the weekend, battery was flat though so only got round to trying to crank her up today. Took a while for the bowls to fill up... and thought I’d maybe made an error of judgement by adding the in-line fuel filter (thought maybe it was too much for gravity to do it’s job past that plus the one in the petcock). After about 5 mins of on/off cranking with no sign of her wanting to catch, I went for a brew...
    On my return about 30mins later she fired up on 2nd attempt... result.

Just need this snow to clear and get her booked in for an MOT.
    This bike has not been on the road since 2011 due to the previous owner suffering from ill health... so hopefully we can get her out for a few excursions this year.

Before:

After:

Last edited by gorrie; 9th February 2021 at 13:57.

Quote Originally Posted by gorrie View Post
    She lives !! And I’m quite pleased with how she’s turned out.
    Managed to get her completed at the weekend, battery was flat though so only got round to trying to crank her up today. Took a while for the bowls to fill up... and thought I’d maybe made an error of judgement by adding the in-line fuel filter (thought maybe it was too much for gravity to do it’s job past that plus the one in the petcock). After about 5 mins of on/off cranking with no sign of her wanting to catch, I went for a brew...
    On my return about 30mins later she fired up on 2nd attempt... result.

Just need this snow to clear and get her booked in for an MOT.
    This bike has not been on the road since 2011 due to the previous owner suffering from ill health... so hopefully we can get her out for a few excursions this year.

Before:

After:

Wow....looks great ! Top job.

Quote Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
    Absolutely guarantee you that the dyno was broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They were around 130bhp as standard donut wouldn’t have taken too much to get 150bhp. Not forgetting either that the SP2 was the basis for Honda’s WSB bikes at the time.