closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: The Dig

The Dig

For those of you with Netflix, we’ve just watched easily the very best film we’ve seen for years, if not decades - The Dig.

Stunning cinematography and Oscar worthy performances, in this film based on a true story. Much recommended, it’s an utter delight!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by pinpull; 30th January 2021 at 21:46.

Just finished it now too, delightful.

We watched it last night ..really enjoyed it both Carey Mulligans and Ralph’s performances were superb Fiennes accent portrayal for the part was as brilliant as it was for his character in ‘ In Bruges’.....

Master
    Saw this on the BBC website today and Will Gompertz gave a decent review.
    It's my last morning shift tomorrow so there's a good chance this will be tomorrow evenings movie of choice with a beer or 2

Might be worth adding your post to the 'anyone watched any good movies recently?' thread in the G&D
    Last edited by Tuna1138; 30th January 2021 at 22:52. Reason: linked

It's very good and certainly recommended but changing the characters ages alters the viewers understanding of what they were doing and why they did the things they did - in really Edith Pretty (Carrie Mulligan's character) was nearly 60 while the Piggots were the same age (about 30) and actually stayed together until the 1950s...

The Dig

Yes we watched it last night and thought it was excellent. Just a well shot and acted quiet little story that the Brits seem to do so well.

Certainly worth 2 hours of anyone’s time away from the Forum!

Journeyman
    Watched this last night.
    Carey Mulligan and Ralph Fiennes were superb. It took me a while to realise it was Ralph Fiennes playing Basil Brown.
    Best film I've watched in years

Quote Originally Posted by paw3001 View Post
    Yes we watched it last night and thought it was excellent. Just a well shot and acted quiet little story that the Brits seem to do so well.

Certainly worth 2 hours of anyone’s time away from the Forum!
    Absolutely. It was well done, and quite enjoyable.
    It's just a matter of time...

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna1138 View Post
    Saw this on the BBC website today and Will Gompertz gave a decent review.
    It's my last morning shift tomorrow so there's a good chance this will be tomorrow evenings movie of choice with a beer or 2

Might be worth adding your post to the 'anyone watched any good movies recently?' thread in the G&D
    You’re right Tuna, I should indeed copy that into the movie thread!

Enjoy it tonight, even more so with a couple of beers!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Intend to watch this tonight...

Hi All
    Just watched this on NETFLIX and it is a lovely film , one which ambles along but never gets boring and you get to like Basil Brown, played by a strong cast and of course Ralph Fiennes is brilliant as usual

We went to Sutton hoo last year and it is a lovely site.. mind you i think the film was made in Surrey

Cheers

Lovely movie. Always pass it on the way to Aldeburgh. Must visit this year for sure, if we can!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinnock View Post
    Lovely movie. Always pass it on the way to Aldeburgh. Must visit this year for sure, if we can!
    We go every year to Aldeburgh , great place, Sutton Hoo is a good afternoon out the actual Museum is being renovated and they have a scale model of the Boat outside ( great restaurant as well )
    Can see my pint being pulled in the White Hart now....

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    We go every year to Aldeburgh , great place, Sutton Hoo is a good afternoon out the actual Museum is being renovated and they have a scale model of the Boat outside ( great restaurant as well )
    Can see my pint being pulled in the White Hart now....

Cheers
    The thought of a pint being pulled........let’s hope that comes true for us all!

Yes true enough
    Where ever your Pub is ....

Just watched it, superb film...

Craftsman
    Saw this tread after watching it.

Great film, Netflix really does a great job on these types of films.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pinpull View Post
    For those of you with Netflix, we’ve just watched easily the very best film we’ve seen for years, if not decades - The Dig.

Stunning cinematography and Oscar worthy performances, in this film based on a true story. Much recommended, it’s an utter delight!
    Watched earlier this evening and thoroughly enjoyed it, just what I (and Mrs T.) needed tonight to relax and enjoy.
    Can't put my finger on it but it just worked, as mentioned it was well filmed and the combination of Carey Mulligan and Lily James just added to it (Drive and Baby Driver are favourite films of mine )

Master
    Watched it last night and agree it was thoroughly charming and engaging film.

Quote Originally Posted by arthurDALEY View Post
    Hi All
    We went to Sutton hoo last year and it is a lovely site.. mind you i think the film was made in Surrey

Cheers
    A beautiful film that we really enjoyed, makes the Netflix price hike more bearable!

The Bull pub scenes were filmed at the Stag and Huntsman in Hambledon Oxfordshire and the village scenes were shot in Hambledon village itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thewatchbloke View Post
    A beautiful film that we really enjoyed, makes the Netflix price hike more bearable!

The Bull pub scenes were filmed at the Stag and Huntsman in Hambledon Oxfordshire and the village scenes were shot in Hambledon village itself.
    Yes the Dig scenes were filmed in Godalming Surrey

Not disputing the pub scenes, however according to IMDB the village scenes were shot in Shackleford, Surrey. I did have a look on Google maps and located the PO outside of which the cycling young Robert asked the lady for directions to Brown’s place, and that scene was indeed in Shackleford.

The village scenes I'm referring to are the ones where Basil Brown gets into the car with Edith Pretty and there is a crowd around the car that follows it as it drives off. Definitely Hambledon village!

The village scenes I'm referring to are the ones where Basil Brown gets into the car with Edith Pretty and there is a crowd around the car that follows it as it drives off. Definitely Hambledon village!
    Gotcha! Two different villages for two different location purposes, makes sense...

What I'd call a grown ups film. Very very good!

I saw the film last night and very much enjoyed it.
    Felt the need to Google Rheumatic Fever as I remember it seemed quite prevalent when I was growing up.

Master
    Saw this last night after your recommendation, very good, sometimes you just need something that's not too deep to relax to, thanks for the heads up!

We watched this last night.

I thought the film was really lovely, but as someone who was born and raised in that area, I cant help but feel it is a real shame that more of the movie was not actually shot in Suffolk. I know there are reasons for choosing alternative locations, but it left me feeling a bit hollow about the whole film.

I did still enjoy it though.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    I watched this last night with my wife. It is certainly an inoffensive film that just bumbles along at its own pace. I certainly wouldn’t go so far as to say it was the best film in years,or a masterpiece of cinematography,but it was enjoyable to watch.

Yes, it had a nice feel and tempo in keeping with the times. However, badly spoilt by the love interest nonsense. The photographs were taken by two women and the photographer in the film didn't exist. I realise they had to do something to pad the film out a bit but i may have been more interesting and accurate if they had gone into the shenanigans with the upper class archaeologists trying to push Basil off the site

Master
    Thanks OP for the heads up, watched it last night, we both enjoyed it, not bothered by inaccuracies since it was entertainment not a documentary, description did note it was based on fact.

Loved it too - beautiful film. Would like to have seen er more of Lily James! Top geek chic..

Netflix, now beating the BBC (2) at their own game..

The Dig

Lily James whilst nice on the eye essentially just plays the same love interest character in every film she is in, don’t you think?

I think she has taken the roles that Gemma Arterton and Keira Knighley use to have!
    Last edited by paw3001; 2nd February 2021 at 18:25.

Lily James whilst nice on the eye essentially just plays the same love interest character in every film she is in, don’t you think?
    Hardly unusual though...the playing the same type of character. For example,Hugh Grant did all right playing the exact same character for years.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Hardly unusual though...the playing the same type of character. For example,Hugh Grant did all right playing the exact same character for years.
    True but have you watched The Gentleman? He is great in that.

True but have you watched The Gentleman? He is great in that.

Yes he is ,but it took him decades of bumbling Englishman before he started getting roles like that.

Lovely film, beautiful scenery and Carey Mulligan.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    Thanks OP for the heads up, watched it last night, we both enjoyed it, not bothered by inaccuracies since it was entertainment not a documentary, description did note it was based on fact.
    When the cousin rides off on his motorcycle to go to war, he does so on a James, first registered in 1946! I ran the plate through the MOT checker.

Lovely film though with lots of small concurrent plots and themes.

Steve

Most excellent, but quite a bit of fiction thrown in to.

I cannot help thinking it would make a much better documentary, rather than a treasure hunt/love story based on an actual event.

Fiennes was of course most excellent

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Most excellent, but quite a bit of fiction thrown in to.

I cannot help thinking it would make a much better documentary, rather than a treasure hunt/love story based on an actual event.

Fiennes was of course most excellent
    Indeed but the film is based on the book, which is a novel.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

I grew up around Sutton Hoo, not been able to get back for over a year.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Really enjoyed it although the ending was IMHO a bit abrupt. Fiennes was oscar worthy

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Master
    We watched it after dinner today based on the recommendations of this thread. It was a nice gentle simple story and brilliantly acted. Well worth a watch.

Sums it up for me.

Gentle, interesting, if slightly fictionalized, story and very well acted, but not sure it was quite worth the plaudits it's getting.

Worth a watch though.

M

Sent from my ASUS_X00PD using Tapatalk
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Yes although i really enjoyed it
    It could of been a BBC1 Sunday night 3 parter in the comfy slot , and everyone would of said it was nice ... But not throwing Oscars at it

A warm blanket of a movie, with a “bit” of history thrown in.

Watched it last night, a pleasant and enjoyable film but was disappointed that at the end they didn’t show real photos or even detail the actual finds.

Blog Entries
    I loved it together ‘cause Ralph had me off to a t boi.

Pitch