closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Free Rock climbing

Free Rock climbing

These guys must have the part of the brain missing that perceives danger, imagine being that far up and getting stuck and panicking? It makes the arches of my feet pulse just watching it....Insane doesn’t even get close.
    https://youtu.be/blfR33DUqsg

Master
    I could barely watch that, I’m still wincing as I type.
    Mental.

My palms are sweaty just watching 2mins of him climbing. Incredible skill.

Sent from my H3113 using Tapatalk

I thoroughly recommend Free Solo. If you haven’t seen it, it is well worth a watch.

I’ve watched it 3 times. Twice in the cinema and the tension among the audience was palpable, despite knowing he safely ascended. Alex comes across as a really likeable and interesting guy. Amazing achievement and meticulously planned.
    Last edited by Mr Tetley; 3rd February 2021 at 23:56.

One more:

...and a quote:

"There is no adrenaline rush, you know? Like if I get a rush, it means that something has gone horribly wrong, you know? Because the whole thing should be pretty slow and controlled and like—I mean, it's mellow."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Tetley View Post
    I thoroughly recommend Free Solo. If you haven’t seen it, it is well worth a watch.

I’ve watched it 3 times. Twice in the cinema and the tension among the audience was palpable, despite knowing he safely ascended. Alex comes across as a really likeable and interesting guy. Amazing achievement and meticulously planned.
    Agreed, an absolutely fascinating glimpse into free climbing and Alex Honnolds obsession with El Capitan.
    There’s one spot in the movie where he’s on an earlier pitch , maybe The Slab, and his foot slips ever so slightly on the rock face before he catches it . He was only a few hundred feet up at the time , supposedly on one of the easier parts of the climb but any mistake and fall was certain death.
    Standing on the valley floor , looking up is awe inspiring. Not inspiring enough that it made me want to climb the thing of course.

Free Rock climbing

Alex Honnolds is a legend.

I used to climb quite a bit, and seeing things like that video absolutely makes my skin crawl, this is me climbing in North Wales, a long time ago!

Also I would call what they are doing in the video, soloing rather than free climbing. "Soling" meaning without ropes or gear vs "free" meaning without aid, where aid climbing is a particular style that is long out of fashion. Perhaps that's just me being old-fashioned though.

As tertius says - the video shows free soloing as distinct from free climbing.

With free climbing you have a partner, use ropes & place gear in the natural rock features (or clip in to pre placed pegs or bolts) to help protect you in the event of a fall. You can still get badly hurt or killed free climbing - I was helicoptered to hospital twice after falling from sea cliffs and had many less serious accidents.

When you solo, if you fall any distance. it's probably fatal.

As Mr Tetley says, the film Free Solo is very good. Gives you a real insight into Alex Honnold.

@tertius - Is that Left Wall by the way?
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Quote Originally Posted by andy tims View Post

@tertius - Is that Left Wall by the way?
    It is indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by tertius View Post
    It is indeed.
    Thought so it's a great route.

I've also done Memory Lane which heads off left wards to the arete. Much bolder / pretty run out.

I do miss climbing.
    Last edited by andy tims; 4th February 2021 at 18:43.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Master
    Blog Entries
    I visited Yosemite at the end of 2019 and unless you have seen it it is hard to comprehend the size of El Capitan ... when you stand at the bottom even with a telescope the climbers are tiny dots on the rockface.

These guys soloing that route are a different animal; I did a fair bit of climbing when younger and I used to get the shakes leading a E1... these types of video are something else ...

Master
    I've listened to him speak about his perception of the risk and the words make sense but the images and reality defy logic. It's amazing to think he does what 99.99% of humans can't even contemplate doing and only a handful could come close to doing. Truly special.

The Dawn Wall is also worth a watch of you enjoyed Free Solo

I recorded Free Solo when it was on TV a while back, I think the ending sums up just how a cool a customer Alex is. This is after he descended and is back in his van.

"Alright, so what's next? What are you going to do?"

"Oh, I'm probably going to hang-board..."

Stomach flipped and mind blown.

Master
    It's amazing putting his trust in sometimes very thin pieces of rock with his fingertips. I can understand wedging in a hand or a foot into a crevice but hanging onto thin and what could be brittle rock.....

Thought so it's a great route.

I've also done Memory Lane which heads off left wards to the arete. Much bolder / pretty run out.

I do miss climbing.
    I never did Memory Lane, I did a few of the Brown/Willans classics on the Cromlech but my favourite rock was slate ... this is me on Ride the Wild Surf:

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by freeloader View Post
    The Dawn Wall is also worth a watch of you enjoyed Free Solo
    Absolutely - the cinematography of Free Solo is incredible, but Dawn Wall has the backstory.

I never did Memory Lane, I did a few of the Brown/Willans classics on the Cromlech but my favourite rock was slate ... this is me on Ride the Wild Surf:
    Nice. I never did Ride the Wild Surf, but I did the nearby Colossus. My hardest slate route was The Mau Mau when it was graded E5.

Here s a much younger me on Comes the Dervish

and high up on Left Wall

Check out those Ron Hill's

I'd also recommend The Dawn Wall to anyone who has not seen it - superb.
    Last edited by andy tims; 5th February 2021 at 11:20.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

Nice. I never did Ride the Wild Surf, but I did the nearby Colossus. My hardest slate route was The Mau Mau when it was graded E5.

Here s a very young me on Comes the Dervish

and high up on Left Wall

Check out those Ron Hill's

I'd also recommend The Dawn Wall to anyone who has not seen it - superb.
    That's a great shot on Left Wall ... is that a 'tache I see?

Shame you didn't do Ride the Wild Surf - a much better route than Colossus. Though neither as good as Comes the Dervish.

The Mau Mau was my hardest lead of all, my only E5 I think.

That's a great shot on Left Wall ... is that a 'tache I see?
    Thanks & yes - full on Magnum PI version in those days + a nice full, dark head of hair.
    Andy

Wanted - Damasko DC57

I used to climb quite a bit, and seeing things like that video absolutely makes my skin crawl, this is me climbing in North Wales, a long time ago!

Also I would call what they are doing in the video, soloing rather than free climbing. "Soling" meaning without ropes or gear vs "free" meaning without aid, where aid climbing is a particular style that is long out of fashion. Perhaps that's just me being old-fashioned though.
    Is that Dinas Cromlech?

Quote Originally Posted by mjrennie View Post
    Is that Dinas Cromlech?
    It is, as per discussion above, the route is Left Wall

Master
    Had to turn it off, making me nauseous

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by uktotty View Post
    Had to turn it off, making me nauseous
    My hands dripped onto the desk within a few seconds, just cannot deal with that sort of height. I get nervous on a tall ladder lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/theasgardproject

This is also a great climbing film. Skydiving in , doing the climb , then jumping off the top in the wing suits ! How Houlding completes the climb with the state of his fingers takes some character.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/Wy3SuhEQHVg

This makes me feel quite queezy, especially the bit at about 1.10