closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Clive Cussler

Master

Clive Cussler

It’s funny what this hobby does to one and interesting where it takes us.

I didn’t even know about Doxa until recently and now I am (after picking up a sub 1500) reading Clive Cussler’s mayday.

A few things - initially Dirk Pitt has an omega !

The sympathy slap. I’ve heard of a sympathy shag but slapping someone due to feeling sorry for them and ultimately sleeping with them is a new take on this concept !

I think I've read most of his books, usually on holiday.

I've always fancied an orange Doxa diver but surprisingly never owned one.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master
    i can't take mine off - its not faulty; I just like wearing it. Never thought I would but the colour makes me smile, the crystal has an amazing dome to it and the execution is very good. Bracelet adjustment is nice to.

Maybe I should try a CC book again - I remember reading a couple of his books decades ago and thinking them terribly cliched.

For me, there's even something naff about the character's name! Dirk Pitt, it sounds like something from a parody!

But then I don't like orange dialed watches, either, so I probably still won't like the books

M
    Breitling Cosmonaute 809 - What's not to like?

Master
    Reading Dirk Pitt books was how I heard about Doxa, initially thought it was a made up name! Bought my first orange Doxa about 2004, still got it and still wear it. The only watch I’ll never sell as it was my first mechanical watch. :)

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman View Post
    Maybe I should try a CC book again - I remember reading a couple of his books decades ago and thinking them terribly cliched.

For me, there's even something naff about the character's name! Dirk Pitt, it sounds like something from a parody!

But then I don't like orange dialed watches, either, so I probably still won't like the books

M
    The name is shit - all sorts comes to mind !

It’s a fun bit of escapism for me and I never liked orange dialed watches either ! Never would have thought I’d like it so much. It makes me smile !

Master
    Usualy call into a bookshop in Plymouth evertime we sail to Spain bought most of his books usually give them away her indoors doesn’t like dusty books.

Master
    Weirdly, it was Clive Cussler books that got me to try Doxa as well. I was intrigued, went hunting, found a local lad selling an old 1975 Sharkhunter (one owner, box and papers), snapped it up and wore it about three times before flipping it on here. Not a huge fan.

A quick forum search tells me that was in 2014!! Jesus, time flies!
    Luckily it went to a forum regular (Jason) for sensible money and stuck around the forum for quite a while, I think it's changed hands a couple of times.
    I dread to think what that would be worth now, I try not to think too hard about things like that, I value my sleep!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...highlight=doxa

As far as Clive Cussler, I gave up on his books apart from the Isaac Bell ones and a few Oregon Files novels. The Dirk Pitt ones after he introduced his son and daughter (Dirk and Summer) were tripe, the earlier ones with him and his side-kick off on daft adventures were silly but palatable.

Master
    I am trying the first book, pretty crazy in the first few chapters but then it made me show my wife a few paragraphs and we had a good giggle..

I learnt about them after learning about Doxa and glad I did. It all adds to the HDD

Here's mine after accompanying me on a baton mission for the fire tonight !!

Untitled by brendanodoherty, on Flickr

Craftsman

Dirk Pitt

This thread is quite funny, as it was the Dirk Pitt Clive Cussler books that brought me here in a roundabout way...... I started reading the original books at uni (someone left one in my room) and eventually tried to buy a Doxa.... and discovered this forum on the search for a Doxa (which I still don't have...). This forum has (obviously) changed my life and although I've never thought of it this way before it was all through Dirk Pitt / Clive Cussler....... so they can take the blame for the Belstaff bags and jackets, the Bremont, the pizza oven, the selvedge jeans and countless other stuff and places (Himalaya, California, Comicon etc.) I didn't know I needed to own or visit..... :)

Master
    Here’s a bit of movie link

“Sahara” is a sequel in a way to “Raise The Titanic”

Both feature Dirk Pitt ( same character) ,

Richard Jordan plays it very strait laced in RTT.

Mathew McConaughty plays it as a goofball .

Its also interesting how Richard Jordan is in The Hunt for Red October I always think . Suspect that might be a deliberate call back.

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    Never really got on with the books but a Doxa
    Is one of my favourite watches!
    Mine is a 750T Shark Hunter Clive Cussler LE with a black face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tintin View Post
    This thread is quite funny, as it was the Dirk Pitt Clive Cussler books that brought me here in a roundabout way...... I started reading the original books at uni (someone left one in my room) and eventually tried to buy a Doxa.... and discovered this forum on the search for a Doxa (which I still don't have...). This forum has (obviously) changed my life and although I've never thought of it this way before it was all through Dirk Pitt / Clive Cussler....... so they can take the blame for the Belstaff bags and jackets, the Bremont, the pizza oven, the selvedge jeans and countless other stuff and places (Himalaya, California, Comicon etc.) I didn't know I needed to own or visit..... :)
    Amen brother !!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.D View Post
    Here’s a bit of movie link

“Sahara” is a sequel in a way to “Raise The Titanic”

Both feature Dirk Pitt ( same character) ,

Richard Jordan plays it very strait laced in RTT.

Mathew McConaughty plays it as a goofball .

Its also interesting how Richard Jordan is in The Hunt for Red October I always think . Suspect that might be a deliberate call back.
    thanks for this Mr. D. I will now seek our Raise the Titanic !!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    Never really got on with the books but a Doxa
    Is one of my favourite watches!
    Mine is a 750T Shark Hunter Clive Cussler LE with a black face.

I love it !!

Quote Originally Posted by kevkojak View Post
    Weirdly, it was Clive Cussler books that got me to try Doxa as well. I was intrigued, went hunting, found a local lad selling an old 1975 Sharkhunter (one owner, box and papers), snapped it up and wore it about three times before flipping it on here. Not a huge fan.

A quick forum search tells me that was in 2014!! Jesus, time flies!
    Luckily it went to a forum regular (Jason) for sensible money and stuck around the forum for quite a while, I think it's changed hands a couple of times.
    I dread to think what that would be worth now, I try not to think too hard about things like that, I value my sleep!

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...highlight=doxa

As far as Clive Cussler, I gave up on his books apart from the Isaac Bell ones and a few Oregon Files novels. The Dirk Pitt ones after he introduced his son and daughter (Dirk and Summer) were tripe, the earlier ones with him and his side-kick off on daft adventures were silly but palatable.
    I remember that Kev, was gutted I missed it!

Had a few Doxas , always enjoyed them.

Only read one of the books, not very impressed tbh!

Mark

Clive Cussler

Watched RTT last year and bought most of the early classic books cheap on eBay as a bit of nostalgia. I remember reading them when I was a teenager and loving them. Managed to make it through Mayday and got a few pages into Iceberg then gave up. The rest have been put on the shelf.
    Was amazed at how cheesy and totally inappropriate they were, “”of their time”” I think is the phrase!

I’m 100% here due to Pitt and that bloody Doxa!

Treasure was the first one I read, bought in a Stratford-upon-Avon bookshop in 1995 whilst down for a mate’s wedding. Having then reread all the prior ones I reckon it’s the first really solid plot - earlier are really quite basic - with the next few throughout the 1990s being of a similar high calibre then dropping off as too repetitive and introducing a sketchy left-field arc to the series.

Sahara should’ve launced a proper film saga but CC and the production company really screwed it up with their legal cockfighting.

Re 'Raise The Titanic':

I've always liked Lord Lew Grade's quote about the film, 'Raise the Titanic? It would have been cheaper to lower the Atlantic!'.

Is the Titanic model used in the film still in a shed in Malta?
    ______

​Jim.