closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Canvas, sailcloth or something else?

Master

Canvas, sailcloth or something else?

I like divers watches and have several. I wear them on bracelets a lot, find them comfy, durable and smart. However I like to change it up occasionally, particularly my green or blue dialed watches, go for the fun, weekend or summer vibe with something more casual looking, and colourful.

Since I do sport, swim, cycle, shower with the watch on, I need waterproof straps and although some leather can look nice initially they don't last for me. I also tend to do DIY to gardening, car maintenance and other messy jobs so I like straps that are washable.

I like the look of rubber but they make my wrist sweaty, hot and itchy by the end of the day, I've tried a couple, and just don't get on with them.

For ages I've loved NATO. Meets all my needs, is also easy to swap, added security, lots of styles and great value. However I've gone off them as my divers trend to be the thick side and a NATO raising them higher from the wrist is not ideal.

So I'm now looking at something like a two piece nylon NATO ish strap (do they exist?), A cordura sailcloth maybe (so long as it's not leather lined) or a canvas maybe? What's are people's experiences of these sort of straps? Will I find my strap nirvana? I'm currently looking hard at the Barton straps canvas, but before I hit the buy button, has anyone got a recommendation?
    Thanks
    Neil

Craftsman
    I have a few canvas Bartons, they are lovely and very comfortable indeed. Pretty durable but they do take a while to dry once soaked.

Similarly, I have a couple of non-leather sailcloth straps. They take a while to break in but one you’ve showered and slept in them a few times they’re great. Not quite as comfy as canvas but probably a bit more durable.

Go for both and mix and match on a whim.

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Blog Entries
    I'm a recent convert to MN style elastic straps. Erika Originals is perhaps the best known but I bought a couple of cheap (<20gbp) MN straps off amazon. I find them neater than Natos and very comfortable - I wear them quite loose so they don't make my wrist sweaty. They do involve one layer of material between you and the watch but that is less than the double layer of Natos - they are both on divers and don't make them stand too high on the wrist. As they were originally used on divers (Marine Nationale), there is also an element of authenticity about them.

Master
    I know you said rubber traps sweat but what about an isofrane style with plenty of ventilation? As said above a lot of the other straps take some drying, which can be slightly irritating.

Master
    Big fan of the MN strap here as well, although having tried all the cheaper options its Erika's only for me now - I've found there definitely a case of "you get what you pay for" Mainly divers for me as well, and I find the Erika's hold and support them so much better than the "knock offs"

I regularly wear my watches in the gym/pool, and find they dry quickly as well.

Few pics attached "for reference" (all Erika's MN's)

Another vote for isofrane from me. Look good, comfy and no sweating issues. I never did well with canvas straps, they looked good but wore quite quickly especially if getting wet

Maybe one of these and come in a range of colours.

https://watchbandit.com/product/two-...k-wb-original/

I am a fan of the two-piece Eulit Perlon straps. They're tough, breathable, washable, super adjustable, and dry quickly when they get wet.
    The big advantage over regular one-piece straps is that they do not make the watch more top-heavy.
    https://www.eulit.com/en/new-in/6/pa...rlon-two-piece

My only gripe is that Eulit don't offer them in more colors.

Craftsman
    cheapnatostraps do a selection of 2 piece nato style straps, dry quickly and look good. they do a great range of colours so you can get loads for your range of watches! Cheers, John B4
    p.s. did I mention they are cheap!

Master
    A second vote for cheapnatostaps, good vfm, Barton have just bought a range of two piece NATO's out
    https://www.bartonwatchbands.com/col...-quick-release
    Eddie's two piece NATO's are great straps, worth the money for the deployant alone, but at the moment pretty impossible to buy due to the popularity of his watches!

As mentioned a nice single piece nato would do the trick. Alternatively I can highly recommend and Ericas Original.

Also another comfortable option (and waterproof) Is a Zulu diver Cordura strap.
    Perfect for the things you mention.

Master
    Have you tried a two piece NATO or even a Perlon.

Master
    Thanks all, some great ideas. I'll pass on the isofrane for now, they remind me of driving gloves from the 70s with the holes over the knuckles, haha!

Good point about canvas staying wet. I'd not thought about that and it would annoy. As would falling apart quickly. A frayed/tattered/weathered one would look cool on my Trident c60 bronze I just picked up though. I will have a look at the two piece NATOs though, they should be perfect. Why didn't I see them before!? Even been on the Barton site looking at their canvas and not seen them, d'oh!

Some lovely divers on show too, I'll have to post up my little collection (omega po black dial, pelagos smurf, sumo hulk, and the c60 bronze) Really like the grand Seiko, that looks fabulous, and the bronze bay. Liking the other Seikos too.

Master
    After a bit of searching I've ordered 4 Gemony premium 2 piece natos....and splurged on a CuSn8 bronze buckle from steeldive to fit to one and then go on the Christopher Ward bronze. yay!

Quote Originally Posted by Gavbaz View Post
    Also another comfortable option (and waterproof) Is a Zulu diver Cordura strap.
    Perfect for the things you mention.
    How are you finding the longevity of this strap?
    I bought one for my CSAR and with 12 months sparse wear whilst WFH - I wear the watch once a month at most - it’s looking really tatty, the lining is pulling away and it’s gone really fuzzy as the strands are pulled out.
    It’s the first Zulu diver I have not been impressed with, it’s a shame as when new it looked great on the watch. I now wear it on the bracelet or an Ericas.

OP I see you are sorted but thanks to a heads up in the strap section of the forum, I have a Luff elastico strap on the way, these may be another solution. The look to do some really nice NATOs as well
    Last edited by Sinnlover; 21st February 2021 at 09:14.

Craftsman
    When I used to sail a lot I usually had a watch on an “Animal” Velcro strap. Very comfy and totally ok with being wet.

Dave

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    When I used to sail a lot I usually had a watch on an “Animal” Velcro strap. Very comfy and totally ok with being wet.

Dave
    Loved those back in the 90s. Might get one for nostalgia purposes!

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by LondonNeil View Post
    A frayed/tattered/weathered one would look cool on my Trident c60 bronze I just picked up though...
    Kind of like this:
    IMG_0174.JPG

Sent from my iPad using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Watch steward straps are good, and don’t raise your watch up any more off the wrist

Craftsman
    These new sailcloths look interesting

https://www.fratellowatches.com/artem-straps/

Canvas, sailcloth or something else?

I also like cordura straps. Last year I bought one from Morelato. They should be water resistant and I swam with them as well. Helps to break them in and they dry nicely though it takes longer to dry compared to a NATO (then again it is more strap as well).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't get on with Erica's again - I tried briefly, but I never really got on with them.

I've been wearing my (big, fat) SD Landmaster on a Nick Mankey strap since the strap arrived, and I've been very pleased with it. No section of fabric behind the watch head, and very, very comfortable!

Barton cordura/rubber hybrid is very comfortable

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    Im also a big fan of Erika's but of late ive become a total convert to Joseph bonnie tropic straps. They dont "sweat" at all and the olive one is my go-to most of the time. Its a dry rubber rather than a sticky one, if that makes sense.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Satori View Post
    These new sailcloths look interesting

https://www.fratellowatches.com/artem-straps/
    Having had one delivered faulty and then the replacement fall apart soon after fitting, I'd give those a wide berth.