closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Service or repair for a secondhand Ocean7

Master

Service or repair for a secondhand Ocean7

According to this thread:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=187850

if you currently own a secondhand Ocean7 watch you have no way of getting it serviced or repaired (not even for money) as it seems Ocean7 will not deal with anyone but the first and original owner. Several people have reported asking for help to repair a secondhand O7 they bought on the sales forum at WUS and were turned down flat. Couldn't even buy spare parts.. If that's truly the case they can forget getting my pennies for an LM7. :evil:

Re: No service or repair for a secondhand Ocean7?

thats mental, never heard anything like it :roll:

thanks for the info though mate

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

A little bizarre, no?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

I've heard of other manufacturers doing the non-transferrable warranty thing, although I think it's stupid. The rest of the post-sales service seems a little flaky, might be partly down to crossed wires and miscommunication though.
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

Non transferable warranty, fair enough, but not dealing with someone because they didnt buy the watch originally :?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Craftsman

It does seem a little weird indeed. Though there was a member in that thread who claimed that he had spoken with Mitch and Mitch had said that Ocean7 would repair his watch.

That'll be them off my list then :?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master

Warranty Doxa style? :lol:

Master

Quote Originally Posted by adrian
    Warranty Doxa style? :lol:
    Sounds like it, eh? Still, probbaly just saved myself £600 so shouldn't complain... :twisted:

Insane. :?

Master

Thats a bit of a poor show from the Ocean7 company.
    All the hard work trying to build a reputation and boom
    all gone in a second.I'll definately think twice before I'd
    buy another Ocean7 for sure................................... :(

How can they be so stupid? Don't they realize that this will hurt their business. Idiots!

did you guys who all posted actually read the thread?

the warranty is what's non-transferable. O7 will repair a second-hand watch.

Short sighted and very possibly commercial suicide! :shock:

Stephen

Isn't that against the law in Europe? I know warranties can be limited in the US but not here.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Lee
    Isn't that against the law in Europe? I know warranties can be limited in the US but not here.
    Ocean 7 are in the US. European law only applies to companies selling from a European base.

Funny Doxa came up in this thread :roll: I found out recently that Doxa's "transferrable warranty" is actually only transferrable from the original purchaser to a second owner. After that Doxa refuse to transfer the warranty :evil: Of course I complained to Doxa, who during the conversation said they were contemplating issuing a non-transferrable warranty in future. They said the reason for this was that they were having to undertake too much warranty work :?

That can only lead to a plummeting of second-hand values of their watches, not doing their reputation any good. If I hadn't been waiting for an SBIII I'd have snapped up a nice Ocean7 ten days ago. Now I'm pleased I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Toshi
    the reason for this was that they were having to undertake too much warranty work :?
    :shock: :roll:

oh well..

Master

I wonder what will happen with Rolex if they try the same stunt. :lol: :lol:

........They said the reason for this was that they were having to undertake too much warranty work :?
    Companies not willing to undertake warrantee work, put their stock on the grey market ... and that is the sole reason why the grey market exists.

john
    Costume jewellery. Ouch!!!

Master

Well, that thread got closed real quick. No surprise there, though. :D

Master

Looks like O7 posted their official policy, which seems as if they will actually service used O7s..

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=188379

Craftsman

Well that seems reasonable. I would have been a really suprised if they wouldn't service second hand watches or offer spare parts, because after all they do get profit from that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen

No I think old stretchy just jumped in with both feet. :roll:

I was involved in the thread and the fact is 07 will not transfer the 1 year warranty to subsequent purchasers.

They will still repair older watches although you would probably be better off getting them repaired locally anyway once the warranty has expired.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by juusom
    Well that seems reasonable. I would have been a really suprised if they wouldn't service second hand watches or offer spare parts, because after all they do get profit from that also.
    Yes, 1 year nontransferable warranty has a lot of "reason". I'm not sure how it smells tho.

This is very worrying indeed, and slightly annoying having just bought a second hand LM-1 Le on here!!

Hopefully Mitch will sort this out as like most have said on here, such an attitude would stop me buying another.

It will definately affect second hand value too, probably to the point that it will loose the company sales on new watches.

Craftsman

Yes, 1 year nontransferable warranty has a lot of "reason". I'm not sure how it smells tho.
    I'm not saying that nontransferable warranty is good or even fair thing to customers, but it isn't so rare thing even in watch indrusty. My point was more on that there were claims that second hand customers couldn't service/repair their watch or get spare parts.

Master
    The idea of a non transferrable warranty is grossly unfair to the original purchaser and should be outlawed. At the end of the day, a manufacturer is warranting the product and the warranty should follow the product.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by juusom
    I'm not saying that nontransferable warranty is good or even fair thing to customers, but it isn't so rare thing even in watch indrusty. My point was more on that there were claims that second hand customers couldn't service/repair their watch or get spare parts.
    Ok, then tell me

Step 1) How many WATCH companies have 1 year warranty (which, imo, is ridiculous from start)

Step 2) Among of those from Step 1) how many of them have a NON-TRANSFERABLE warranty.

Not so rare I assume. :lol:

My point was not directed at you (or anybody else in particular) but at companies who take their customers as both money milking cows AND idiots.

Lot of money to be made in servicing - surely this can't be right!
    It's just a matter of time...

Craftsman

Does that mean Doxa owners are off loading rather than keeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Ax
    the reason for this was that they were having to undertake too much warranty work :?
    :shock: :roll:

oh well..

Perhaps a change to the title of the post is in order, since they do repair and service a second hand watch? Just not under warranty.

Been away this weekend otherwise I'd have corrected this thread the moment it was posted!!

This all came about by miss-information on the WUS Divers section and as usual everyone jumps on the wagon moaning and b!tching instead of checking out the facts first. As has now been pointed out, the official Ocean7 policy is as follows:

Warranties are for one year, and do not transfer. Subsequent owners can pay for service at any time. This is a very successful policy for us creating many new sales. It is common in the industry just for this reason, and it will never change. I do not believe for one second that it affects the decision of anyone HONESTLY considering the purchase a new watch. Sales and conversations with owners prove beyond any doubt that this is true, in spite of what some would like us to believe.

Parts are available to anyone. We do not sell parts to allow modifications to our watches. Certain parts such as dials and hands require the return of the original part before new parts ship, and we will only replace these parts with the same part. We have always sold parts as needed, in fact, LM-1LE parts have long been sold out. We have all repair parts for all models in stock, except for the LM-1LE.

We no longer offer the LM-3/LM-6 bracelet separately. It is sold out. We will not remove a bracelet from a new watch, to sell it separately. When we reorder the LM-3/LM-6 next year, we will order extra bracelets.
    Whilst to me the non-transferable warranty is very non-EU and a bit of a pain it seems the "American" way and is a choice you have to make when buying from an American company. But for someone to say they won't service their watches... that's just plain wrong!

I would also like to see a change in the thread title to something a little less inaccurate and controversial :)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonmurgie

I would also like to see a change in the thread title to something a little less inaccurate and controversial :)
    Yes indeed.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Jon, the policy that was subsequently posted at WUS was immediately posted by myself mid-way through this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56066&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15# p573966

I don't really think the thread title needs editing since it was written as a question rather than a statement. :D

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Quote Originally Posted by Denizen

No I think old stretchy just jumped in with both feet. :roll:

I was involved in the thread and the fact is 07 will not transfer the 1 year warranty to subsequent purchasers.

They will still repair older watches although you would probably be better off getting them repaired locally anyway once the warranty has expired.
    Actually, people posted in that thread to say they had been refused service on a used watch. Here's one such post:

I'm a little late to this party, but I have to chime in. I had this same expierence with Mitch and Ocean7 earlier this summer.

I purchased a used LM3 that was still under the original warranty off of this forum and found the bezel extremely tight to turn. I posted a question in their forum asking if anyone else had this problem and asking for advise. The post was promptly deleted without explanation.

I then e-mailed them and asked the same question and was rebuffed with a terse reply that "He could not help me". I replied again thinking he might have misunderstood my question. I was concerned that he might think I was asking for a freebie, so I told him that I would be willing to pay for service to the watch. No reply. He didn't even care enough to bother to reply!

I liked the watch, but finally sold it because I never wore it. Every time I picked it up to put it on I thought of his attitude and it would make me fume with anger. If the owner of this brand refused to support his product to anyone other than the original owner, why should I support the product by owning it?

I think that attitudes like this can be encouraged by having internet only sales. It is much easier to be dismissive of a product problem or question when you can hide behind an e-mail address.

I'm sure some will disagree and support this brand regardless of their policies and that is each individuals choice, but I will not.

I personally was not and am not concerned about a non-transferrable warranty; I would be concerned if people were being refused service on a used watch, though, which is what the poster above is saying happened, and he's not the only one.

I have no beef with O7 and am viewing this from a completely neutral standpoint. I liked the LM-3 I had for a short while and have been considering ordering an LM-7 but before I do so I would, indeed, like to know the facts regarding service. Part of the point of posting this thread as a question was to see if anyone here could give an experience which showed the WUS thread to be incorrect.

So no Neil, I didn't "jump in with both feet :roll: "; in fact, I'm still watching the threads at WUS to make my final decision on whether I feel I trust O7 or not. It's one thing posting your policy after a thread like that has occurred but several people's accounts of what actually happened to them do not match the policy posted.

Mater of opinion regarding the title...

edit to add... you've just posted a load more detail, I was personally just feeling the need to point out the correct facts and clear up why this "no service/repair" rumor was started, jumped on and blown out of all proportion :)

Master

Mater of opinion regarding the title...

edit to add... you've just posted a load more detail, I was personally just feeling the need to point out the correct facts and clear up why this "no service/repair" rumor was started, jumped on and blown out of all proportion :)
    No worries, Jon. In the interests of erring on the non-contraversial side, I've edited the title. :D

Quote Originally Posted by outstretchedhands

So no Neil, I didn't "jump in with both feet :roll: "; in fact, I'm still watching the threads at WUS to make my final decision on whether I feel I trust O7 or not. It's one thing posting your policy after a thread like that has occurred but several people's accounts of what actually happened to them do not match the policy posted.
    TBH Stretchy I couldn't care less about O7 I just thought your original title could be misleading and it is easier to damage someones rep rather than boost it IMO.
    Cheers,
    Neil.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Neil.C
    Quote Originally Posted by outstretchedhands

TBH Stretchy I couldn't care less about O7 I just thought your original title could be misleading and it is easier to damage someones rep rather than boost it IMO.
    Neil, yes, I agree with that sentiment and I certainly have no wish to damage anyone's rep. I think the title is fine now, tho, and together we've balanced the facts.

Master

Warranties are for one year, and do not transfer. Subsequent owners can pay for service at any time. This is a very successful policy for us creating many new sales. It is common in the industry just for this reason, and it will never change. I do not believe for one second that it affects the decision of anyone HONESTLY considering the purchase a new watch. Sales and conversations with owners prove beyond any doubt that this is true, in spite of what some would like us to believe.
    My bold, but not my caps.

There seems to some suggestion that O7 is under attack from people who want the watches but not "HONESTLY". What the hell does that mean? Second hand buyers are not "HONEST"? More to the point, what kind of attitude to customers is that?

The bit in bold highlights my reservations, but the whole thing is pretty awful if you ask me.

I though Americans were supposed to be good at customer service? Buy the seller, they say :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by jd
    I'm sure it's a successful policy for them but it's illegal in Europe. If it's illegal in Europe, why would they want to continue this policy in the US? Don't they want world-wide sales? Don't they want to trade in a fair and honest manner?

I've not experienced a non-transferable warranty before, it's the item being sold which has the warranty, not the buyer. I've seen a lot of Ocean watches changing hands on this forum and if the warranty is no longer valid, I'm banning the sale of Ocean watches on Sales Corner.

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Re: Service or repair for a secondhand Ocean7

The Doxa warranty in interesting... I transferred one to Davie and he claimed on it for ages as they kept needing to fix the thing, Id aleady claimed on it twice as well... I dont see how you can have a law that says it must be transfereable and then limit it to onely the 2nd buyer... intriging...

One thing Ive never undersood with warranty work is that you dont get a new warranty each time if you have something major done. ie a full movement swap on a newish watch... Ive struggled to get car dealers to even warranrt replacement parts past the end of the warranty period if it was say 3months, even tho they would normally offer 12mths on them...

I guess all Ocean7 sales posts should state 'non trasnferrable warranty' to be upfront with potential new owners, thats assuming the watch is <12 mths old, after that its no different to any other used watch I guess.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I'm sure it's a successful policy for them but it's illegal in Europe. If it's illegal in Europe, why would they want to continue this policy in the US? Don't they want world-wide sales? Don't they want to trade in a fair and honest manner?

I've not experienced a non-transferable warranty before, it's the item being sold which has the warranty, not the buyer. I've seen a lot of Ocean watches changing hands on this forum and if the warranty is no longer valid, I'm banning the sale of Ocean watches on Sales Corner.

Eddie

I feel I should clarify that I don't have any direct interest in O7 watches - never owned one and probably never will now. So I don't want to criticise the products, since I know nothing about them.

I was just interested in the different treatment of warranty issues, and felt moved to comment on the O7 warranty statement that Jonmurgie quoted because it struck me as a horrible message to customers.

I think Ball have the same policy.

This from jurawatches.co.uk
    Three year guarantee which covers all manufacturer defects. This is a worldwide warranty and you can take your watch to any authorised BALL retailer to be repaired.
    They can't sell in Europe without being able to transfer the warranty.

Master

Fair enough. It doesn't say whether the warranty is transferable, and the Ball website doesn't either, but I take your point about legal requirements in Europe.

I know the Ball warranty topic has been discussed extensively elsewhere, but I think that stuff was mostly about US purchases. The US warranty appears not to be transferable, and that might be why the website is silent on the topic of tranferability - different rules depending where you are, perhaps.

Master

Fair enough. It doesn't say whether the warranty is transferable, and the Ball website doesn't either, but I take your point about legal requirements in Europe.

I know the Ball warranty topic has been discussed extensively elsewhere, but I think that stuff was mostly about US purchases. The US warranty appears not to be transferable, and that might be why the website is silent on the topic of tranferability - different rules depending where you are, perhaps.
    Just thought I would add that Jura confimed to me that

The 2 year warranty is valid worldwide regardless of the owner of the watch.
    Which is good.