closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 186 of 365 FirstFirst ... 86136176184185186187188196236286 ... LastLast
Results 9,251 to 9,300 of 18249

Thread: More bike related stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    I was chatting with a guy yesterday whos recently bought a KTM390 Duke and was thinking that I void have an awful lot of fun on one of those.
    Theyre cheap too with new ones at around four grand and slightly older ones between two and three.
    What was the name of the 2 Stroke Yam from the late 80s/early 90s already? a 250 if memory serves me right. One of my students had one, and I had a go on it. A bit all or nothing kind of bike but if you were used to 2 strokes, good fun.
    'Against stupidity, the gods themselves struggle in vain' - Schiller.

The late eighties bike was the TZR250; it was up against the Kawasaki KR1/S, Suzuki RG250 gamma and Honda NSR250.

They were the pinnacle of the two stroke era.

The late eighties bike was the TZR250; it was up against the Kawasaki KR1/S, Suzuki RG250 gamma and Honda NSR250.

That's the one.

Im totally confused here Gyp; did you pass your test before you could walk?
    I saved hard to buy myself a big twin for my 40th birthday but that money got spent taking Mrs Gyp on a lovely holiday for her 40th instead. It's a problem having a missus that's a tiny bit older.

Instead of a Harley, I got to go for a curry with a couple of mates.

I've got a few years before I hit 60, but I decided to treat myself before I get told that I have to spend my savings on Mrs Gyp's 60th birthday holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyp View Post
    I saved hard to buy myself a big twin for my 40th birthday but that money got spent taking Mrs Gyp on a lovely holiday for her 40th instead. It's a problem having a missus that's a tiny bit older.

Instead of a Harley, I got to go for a curry with a couple of mates.

I've got a few years before I hit 60, but I decided to treat myself before I get told that I have to spend my savings on Mrs Gyp's 60th birthday holiday.
    Well done that man

My wife promised me when we got married that she'd buy me a HD, one day. My 60th birthday came and went...

Quote Originally Posted by Saint-Just View Post
    The 500 LC and the 500 Gamma were great machines but were best suited for the track. IRL, with or without traffic, the 350LC (and the YPVS version), were all the bike you needed to make a mockery of larger (and oh so much heavier!) 4 stroke bikes.
    I would agree with this. Test rode a 500 Gamma in the mid nineties, and bought a ZZR600 instead. Was not a pleasant ride unless you were flat out, and the potential bills scared me off.

Well done that man

My wife promised me when we got married that she'd buy me a HD, one day. My 60th birthday came and went...
    Mrs Gyp has made it clear that she's going to allow me to treat us to a Caribbean cruise for my 60th

Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8500 View Post
    I would agree with this. Test rode a 500 Gamma in the mid nineties, and bought a ZZR600 instead. Was not a pleasant ride unless you were flat out, and the potential bills scared me off.
    Perhaps not the best decision youve ever made?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164655683350

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184719889542

Fair point, but I was poor at the time and my bike was my only transport

He would have ridden it a lot more and might not be here to talk about it. Those things were lethal.

My very first bike was an old Suz 500T. I still ride with 3 fingers on the clutch today

More bike related stuff

He would have ridden it a lot more and might not be here to talk about it. Those things were lethal.

My very first bike was an old Suz 500T. I still ride with 3 fingers on the clutch today
    You could be right although Ive no recollection of them being particularly unpredictable or prone to seizures. My memory isnt what it used to be though. I do I remember the mags raving about them though.

I also bought a ZZR600 back in 1990 and it was a toss up between the ZZR or a new GPZ900R (the first of the 17 wheel models.

That wasnt the best decision financially either, although Id most probably have long since sold it on anyway.

More bike related stuff

Fair point, but I was poor at the time and my bike was my only transport
    The ZZR600 was a great bike though, apart from the Cush rubbers and suspension.

Theyre very underrated though and cheap at the moment.

There you go, two stroke heaven for me back in the day, also sporting my Kushitani leathers that cost me about a third of the price of the bike!

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

You could be right although Ive no recollection of them being particularly unpredictable or prone to seizures.
    Liquid Cooling changed all that, you are right. And they were only unpredictable if you had gone a little low in the revs when entering a curve as you started to accelerate. But they were still a bit manic. In a good way if you were in the right mood and on top of your game. In not such a good way in the rain, after a long day...

Just gave one of my dad's bikes a bit of a clean.

Sent from my Nokia 8.3 5G using Tapatalk

Master
    He's got good taste :-)

Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    He's got good taste :-)
    He does indeed.
    That one is his baby, this one is his daily.

Also has a 900 hornet and a Royal Enfield Himalayan.

Hornet only has 2600 miles on it and has only done 120 mile since 2006.

The Himalayan has got 800 mile on.
    Last edited by chris2982; 2nd April 2021 at 12:19.

I dont know whether theres any truth in this but I was chatting with a guy yesterday; he says test his mother (who he doesnt speak to) is the granddaughter of the guy who founded Vincent motorcycles (making him the great grandson although he didnt say so).

He says that his mother has the second and third Black Shadows off the production line in her garage, still crated up and unregistered.

Just imagine what these would sell for if true and brought to market!

Ended up cleaning one of my brothers bikes aswell.
    Never even got round to doing mine!

Chris

The 500 LC and the 500 Gamma were great machines but were best suited for the track. IRL, with or without traffic, the 350LC (and the YPVS version), were all the bike you needed to make a mockery of larger (and oh so much heavier!) 4 stroke bikes.
    So true Marc. My fastest (and stupidest in hindsight but I was young and reckless) experience as a pillion as I was still a learner back then, 126mph. I know the exact speed as we got stopped by police on the M40. My mate lost his licence for 6 months. I have to give him credit though. He really could ride it like it should be ridden.

Warrington, centre of the Universe and home of the Mighty Wire
    New shiny set of sticky tyres on, bike serviced, ready for April 12. YEAAAYYYYYYYY !!!

Stuart
    Last edited by cinnabull; 2nd April 2021 at 16:48.

More bike related stuff

Both bikes got a clean today after a few rides this week

Master
    Well this took the edge off things this morning.. puncture on the way over to meet a friend for a morning's ride.
    This was on my R9T - which of course has tubes so I was stranded and left to wait 2 hours for recovery.
    Next on the shopping list - new wheels with tubeless tyres.
    Oh and of course it was a brand new tyre - bonus annoyance!

Grand Master
    Anyone wear a Bell Bullitt? If so Ive just found 2 Bubble Visors (Clear) Given that these are 45 New (And they are with stickers) they might be good for someone!
    RIAC

Can you convert the standard wheels to tubeless Ian?

Master
    I was chatting with a guy yesterday whos recently bought a KTM390 Duke and was thinking that I void have an awful lot of fun on one of those.
    Theyre cheap too with new ones at around four grand and slightly older ones between two and three.
    A friend of mines wife had one of those, it didnt last long but under powered so is on a Honda 500 now.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    The KTM390 is well-priced, looks a hoot to ride, and I was tempted to get one for the motorhome as they are very light. However, they are pretty small....same physical size as the 125 Duke. As such, I concluded that it would not suit my lanky stature, and would probably look like I was on an outing from a local circus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Matt you sucked at investment potential, but dodged a bullet on reliability. An Engineer ( read a bloke that understands owt mechanical) who I worked with, bought an early RG brand new from Suzuki. Within 6 weeks it wouldnt select 2nd gear as the fork selectors in the gearbox were made of liquorice. He was due to ride to LeMans so they let him borrow a big four stroke whilst they fixed his bike.

On returning ( having loved the GS thou I think) he collected the RG. Within 500 miles it had lunched its gearbox again!

And that as they say is history. So I worked with him in 2010 ish. The bike is still awaiting a gearbox rebuild , but as he reminded me “ the price goes up every year” Yes he has an appreciating classic, but its un rideable. Last I heard he had bought the reg RGV 5xx as a private plate for 3500. The last of the coddled two strokes.

Steve

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by I a n View Post
    Well this took the edge off things this morning.. puncture on the way over to meet a friend for a morning's ride.
    This was on my R9T - which of course has tubes so I was stranded and left to wait 2 hours for recovery.
    Next on the shopping list - new wheels with tubeless tyres.
    Oh and of course it was a brand new tyre - bonus annoyance!
    No consolation, but that looks repairable with vulcanising. Tubeless are nicer tyres as potentially punctures are slower, you can use rats tail repairs, but you lose the beauty of spoked rim wheels.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by higham5 View Post
    Matt you sucked at investment potential, but dodged a bullet on reliability. An Engineer ( read a bloke that understands owt mechanical) who I worked with, bought an early RG brand new from Suzuki. Within 6 weeks it wouldnt select 2nd gear as the fork selectors in the gearbox were made of liquorice. He was due to ride to LeMans so they let him borrow a big four stroke whilst they fixed his bike.

On returning ( having loved the GS thou I think) he collected the RG. Within 500 miles it had lunched its gearbox again!

And that as they say is history. So I worked with him in 2010 ish. The bike is still awaiting a gearbox rebuild , but as he reminded me “ the price goes up every year” Yes he has an appreciating classic, but its un rideable. Last I heard he had bought the reg RGV 5xx as a private plate for 3500. The last of the coddled two strokes.

Steve
    Haha I agree, Id be so terrified of creating a single lump of fused metal in a frame that I just wouldnt enjoy owning an RD500 now.

My DT125R melted itself into itself at 30mph after being babied up to that point.

Still...my RD350 was as much fun and felt as quick point to point as my Fireblade....and that only died when I crashed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D View Post
    The KTM390 is well-priced, looks a hoot to ride, and I was tempted to get one for the motorhome as they are very light. However, they are pretty small....same physical size as the 125 Duke. As such, I concluded that it would not suit my lanky stature, and would probably look like I was on an outing from a local circus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KTM made it physically bigger the last time they updated it for precisely that reason.

I dont regret my decision, at the time it was like buying a cheap super car- fun until the bills start

To be fair, the ZZR was faster, better handling and much more reliable than the RG.

Ive not searched it but wouldnt be surprised if it was lighter too.

Master
    Ducati mid-life crisis challenge: new 2021 Monster vs low mileage 959 Panigale for about the same price - any thoughts?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    Ducati mid-life crisis challenge: new 2021 Monster vs low mileage 959 Panigale for about the same price - any thoughts?
    Last 959 Panigale is the distillation of a medium sports bike. 150 bhp in a pure L twin, not light at nearly 200 kgs so it wont be a wheely monster. But read the reviews, everyone loved them. My pal had the matt coloured red and pearlescent. Bit of a bugger to clean but stunning looking. Im sure Michael Neeves of MCN described the outgoing 959 as the most complete medium wt bike you could buy.

The monster saved Ducati, lowly 600s and 800s created much needed cash flow to bridge from the 916 b748 into mainstream. The latest 2021 has lost the trellis frame and will be around for a while. A classic monster would be a S4RS with the testretta engine.

Just my rant!

Last 959 Panigale is the distillation of a medium sports bike. 150 bhp in a pure L twin, not light at nearly 200 kgs so it wont be a wheely monster. But read the reviews, everyone loved them. My pal had the matt coloured red and pearlescent. Bit of a bugger to clean but stunning looking. Im sure Michael Neeves of MCN described the outgoing 959 as the most complete medium wt bike you could buy.

The monster saved Ducati, lowly 600’s and 800’s created much needed cash flow to bridge from the 916 b748 into mainstream. The latest 2021 has lost the trellis frame and will be around for a while. A classic monster would be a S4RS with the testretta engine.

Just my rant!
    I don't like the new Monster, it looks like any generic Japanese bike. It may perform well but I need to have more than performance to part me from my cash.

Agree with that. I would definitely go for the Pani of the 2, but if your riding is more suited to a roadster I would look for an older Monster.
    But thats just me.

Master

The monster saved Ducati, lowly 600’s and 800’s created much needed cash flow to bridge from the 916 b748 into mainstream. The latest 2021 has lost the trellis frame and will be around for a while. A classic monster would be a S4RS with the testretta engine.

Just my rant!
    And a good rant too. Panigale 959 is a poster on the wall dream bike. But it’s not the new Panigale V2. The new Monster isn’t as pretty, but it’s a lot lighter and has the Panigale V2s frame, the latest tech, and is probably better set up for road riding. But it’s not the middle weight, thinking man’s Panigale, the spiritual successor to the 916. Add in a fair amount of town riding and it’s a tough one.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanford View Post
    I don't like the new Monster, it looks like any generic Japanese bike. It may perform well but I need to have more than performance to part me from my cash.
    Agree with that. I would definitely go for the Pani of the 2, but if your riding is more suited to a roadster I would look for an older Monster.
    But that’s just me.
    When I first saw the new Monster, like everyone I thought it had lost the charm of the old ones. But put them side by side, and the old one just looks old. And start thinking about riding it, and there’s simply no contest.
    Last edited by Itsguy; 2nd April 2021 at 22:51.

So you get a classic bike AND a Monster. Whats not to like?

But I confess I have not ridden the new ones.

Master
    Just got this... big change , must be because Im nearly 50!,

Whats the best U.K. forum for triumph chat, trading, chatting rubbish etc?
    Cheers:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Itsguy View Post
    When I first saw the new Monster, like everyone I thought it had lost the charm of the old ones. But put them side by side, and the old one just looks old. And start thinking about riding it, and theres simply no contest.
    Agreed, the new Monster looks like a brilliant bike. Id be testing that and the new Street Triple if I were you... couldnt go wrong with either IMO.

Master
    Can you convert the standard wheels to tubeless Ian?
    I have heard of this being done - but with varying degrees of success.
    I'd need someone to do it, but haven't come across ways to "send my wheels off" or "turn up and wait" services.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgoe1972 View Post
    Just got this... big change , must be because Im nearly 50!,

Whats the best U.K. forum for triumph chat, trading, chatting rubbish etc?
    Cheers:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Looks very familiar...

I joined triumphrat.net, although most of the activity is US based and seems more focused on the older bikes.

Master
    No consolation, but that looks repairable with vulcanising. Tubeless are nicer tyres as potentially punctures are slower, you can use rats tail repairs, but you lose the beauty of spoked rim wheels.

Steve

There are spoked rim tubeless options - Kineo make them

Or I prefer the ones made by Alpinas

Master
    A small consolation was provided whilst waiting to be recovered following my puncture yesterday.
    3 bikers stopped to chat and ask if I needed any help.
    One was riding this beauty....
    He bought it new in 77 and it had spent many recent years being renovated with original Kawasaki parts.
    It was stunning.
    He said there are 30 registered on the road in the UK.

Picked up this beast yesterday

^^^ Blimey, that really is a beast. How was the ride home?

Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    ^^^ Blimey, that really is a beast. How was the ride home?
    Honest answer? Bloody awful.

Makes me realise quite how good my Triumph is!

Thats a unit!
    Like the blackness.

It looks great but I can imagine it's quite a distinctive ride!