closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Who dives with their watches then?

Who dives with their watches then?

Hi guy's,
    Just wondered how many of you out there are divers and if you dive with any of your watches.

I'm a BSAC Ocean Diver (hoping to get Sport Diver finished soon) and use my Orsa (on one of Eddies excellent straps) on my open water dives as well as my suunto vyper dive computer.
    Have used the Doxa's in the pool but can't get them over my dry suit for open water.
    Also going to Nemo33 in Brussels the end of next week - not sure which watch to take??? - Doxa or TAG Superpro (which ever it is I'll try and get some pics).

Cheers

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Re: Who dives with their watches then?

yep chris
    taken a few in the water, my dn of course :D then seiko 600, omega smp [but got fed up with the manual HEV] and now using a certina ds3 which has taken a battering last few months!

good luck on your course.
    oh, and take the tag to the show, don't want too many dirk pitts :D

cheers
    mike :wink:

Master

yes used a sbbn007 and an omega PO :D missed all the fish as i spent the full dive looking at the dial :wink:

Hi

I'm certified up to the 4th floor, attending the management course to take me to the 5th :lol:

I never take my watches to the pool/sea or even to the shower.

Thanks
    deano

Hi Chris,
    Same as you, I'm BSAC Ocean Diver qualified and working my way through Sports Diver now. I've taken a Doxa Sharkhunter 750 and Tag Super Pro with me before, but none of my current rotation are suitable. Looking to get a Seiko Marinemaster which will definitely travel down with me.

Let us know how you get on at Nemo33 - I'm hoping to go next spring.

Gary

I've worn my Breitling SO while giving my daughter a bath, does that count? :lol:

Strictly a desk diver, personally. Several of mine have been swimming depth in the sea, though. My Italian even got a dip in the Med:

Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

I've worn various Tags and my Seiko OM in the sea for snorkelling. Just have to make sure you rinse them off well afterwards. In fact it seems to clean them up nicely. I've also stuck them in my wife's ultrasonic jewellery cleaner with no ill effect.. except they come out shinier.

Quote Originally Posted by reecie
    I've worn various Tags and my Seiko OM in the sea for snorkelling. Just have to make sure you rinse them off well afterwards. In fact it seems to clean them up nicely. I've also stuck them in my wife's ultrasonic jewellery cleaner with no ill effect.. except they come out shinier.
    That may not be a good idea for the movement, you know!
    Dave E

Skating away on the thin ice of a new day

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    Quote Originally Posted by reecie
    That may not be a good idea for the movement, you know!
    I was thinking that as I typed it and was going to add "not sure how good an idea that was". Though it was only a couple of times ages ago.

Journeyman

I took my Omega SM to a wisper under 100m and my cwc to the same depth, now days I happily take the OSM, CWC & citizen to 30-40 ish.

I did also take (well actually I should say send, as I didn't go with it)a Casio G shock to in excess of 200m simply to see what happened, it was under water for over 6 weeks and functioned perfectly on its return, I was actually gutted as I wanted to see a bleeding and wounded shell of a watch.

Nice to see 'em being used - keep it going!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by seadog1408
    yep chris
    taken a few in the water, my dn of course :D then seiko 600, omega smp [but got fed up with the manual HEV] and now using a certina ds3 which has taken a battering last few months!
    Umm.. I thought the HEV is only necessary if you're hundreds of meters down spending serious time in a diving bell, breathing trimix or something which the watch is also exposed to.. and even then you just need to open the valve once the ascent begins and close it when you're at normal atmospheric pressure. If you just get wet and spend time with the watch on your wrist at 100m it's not getting any helium inside from the water..

Or did I understand this HEV stuff completely wrong? Doesn't seem too painful to operate a manual HEV once or twice a month if you do this for a living :shock:

Master
    Blog Entries

Not certified but have taken quite a few watches to below 100metres :lol: :wink:

I used to use my trusty G-Shock for UK diving, but took my Breitling Avenger Seawolf when I went to Australia.

Sadly I don't dive... tried it once and hated it!!

Journeyman

Never dive with my watch, take the dive computer instead. Dacor micro-brain :drunken:

PMcK

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Dave E
    I've worn my Breitling SO while giving my daughter a bath, does that count? :lol:

Strictly a desk diver, personally. Several of mine have been swimming depth in the sea, though. My Italian even got a dip in the Med:

That's one hell of a bath tub you've got there!

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by Peter McK
    Never dive with my watch, take the dive computer instead. Dacor micro-brain :drunken:

PMcK
    And what happens if that packs up?

Yes you might well abort that dive and surface but if you've got no record of how long you were under for then technically you should abort all dives for the rest of the day, It's easier to wear a cheap dive watch as a back up.

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by vaizki
    yep chris
    Umm.. I thought the HEV is only necessary if you're hundreds of meters down spending serious time in a diving bell, breathing trimix or something which the watch is also exposed to.. and even then you just need to open the valve once the ascent begins and close it when you're at normal atmospheric pressure. If you just get wet and spend time with the watch on your wrist at 100m it's not getting any helium inside from the water..

Or did I understand this HEV stuff completely wrong? Doesn't seem too painful to operate a manual HEV once or twice a month if you do this for a living :shock:

The HEV is only needed during accent from saturation diving, so when in a nice dry chamber over a period of hours following days under under pressure, at no time during any recreational or even military (certainly UK military) diving would one be needed it is a purely commercial divers requirment (hence the "professional" tag)

But in fairness "Seadog" didn't say what he does for a living and the name and smiley at the end may suggest he is understating the extent to which he dives, but even so remembering to open a watch vent valve at the start of an accent is not really any great hardship in the big scheme of things.

Grand Master
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by surestep
    Quote Originally Posted by vaizki
    yep chris

The HEV is only needed during accent from saturation diving, so when in a nice dry chamber over a period of hours following days under under pressure, at no time during any recreational or even military (certainly UK military) diving would one be needed it is a purely commercial divers requirment (hence the "professional" tag)

But in fairness "Seadog" didn't say what he does for a living and the name and smiley at the end may suggest he is understating the extent to which he dives, but even so remembering to open a watch vent valve at the start of an accent is not really any great hardship in the big scheme of things.
    you don't just use the valve at end of month, its any time your storage depth in chamber is changed, and your not always awake when this happens, also believe me you forget to open it sometimes that's why I prefer the auto valve.

cheers
    mike
    :wink:

Master
    Blog Entries

Mike,

So what's the deepest you've dived?

Cheers

Bry

I'm a PADI diver and dive with my Suunto D9 and Citizen Aqualand.

Wouldn't dream of getting my Sub Date, SMP or PRS14 wet!

Paul

Haven't dove in 20 years just some snorkling now. I've used the DN, PRS-50 and PRS-14 in the ocean.

My middle son Rich is a Padi advanced and dives all over the world.

He still uses the Seiko 007J I gave him years ago. :)

He's on the left (Seiko on display) .

Cheers,
    Neil.

Did over 1,500 dives with my sub non-date before I retired it from diving. Nowadays, I just wear a couple of computers and the controller for my rebreather. I've dived with it under ice, in the tropics and down to 103m. It never skipped a beat and I never bothered with annual pressure testing either. They just keep going and come back from service looking like new.

Enjoy your diving by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed
    Hi Chris,
    Same as you, I'm BSAC Ocean Diver qualified and working my way through Sports Diver now. I've taken a Doxa Sharkhunter 750 and Tag Super Pro with me before, but none of my current rotation are suitable. Looking to get a Seiko Marinemaster which will definitely travel down with me.

Let us know how you get on at Nemo33 - I'm hoping to go next spring.

Gary
    Hi Gary,
    Will let you know how I get on at Nemo33.
    Will post some 'action shots' of which ever watch I take 8)

Master

I've never dived with any of my watches :?
    muff dived,thats about all...................... :wink:

Master
    Blog Entries

:shock:

Always thought you Brissle lads were either diver's or fishermen :wink:

Muff diver will have to do then :lol:

Journeyman

Dived all mine except my Enzo Subhatch I will though.
    I agree with Mike your not always awake as they change your storage depth.Saw a guys crystal pop out of his Submariner, he forgot.I have done my share of decos and often wore my Sub 16800 which needed the crown unwound during deco, a mate had the back off and tells me theres heaps of muck round the stem and the movement is dry as due to doing this. So I now wear a Certina DS3 c/w AHEV
    Hope that gives abit of insight to the benefits of AHEV. :)

Master

Quote Originally Posted by k1w1
    often wore my Sub 16800 which needed the crown unwound during deco, a mate had the back off and tells me theres heaps of muck round the stem and the movement is dry as due to doing this.
    Cheers, this clears up something we where talking about on Thursday night in the pub, a long the lines of "why do you need a HEV when you can unscrew the crown". This clears it all up.

BTW do any of you commercial divers use the IWC 3536 or the Seiko MM that don't require a HEV due to the way the crystal is retained?

Journeyman

something we where talking about on Thursday night in the pub, a long the lines of "why do you need a HEV when you can unscrew the crown". This clears it all up.

BTW do any of you commercial divers use the IWC 3536 or the Seiko MM that don't require a HEV due to

I havent used the above watches.Mind you if I was heading to the surface from 600+' I would unscrew the crown just incase. :shock:

Im a Padi DM - dived with my Citizen Promaster and also my alti-depth Citizen. oh and also a bog standard Seiko Diver - all were just fine !

i use a Suunto Vyper comp as well but the Citizen is great for filling the log in post-dive. only issue is the rip-off £45 Citizen want for a battery replacement !! :evil:

Sometimes I take my own:

And sometimes they get 'borrowed':

And sometimes I take other forummers watches for a photo-shoot:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

... often wore my Sub 16800 which needed the crown unwound during deco, a mate had the back off and tells me theres heaps of muck round the stem and the movement is dry as due to doing this.
    Are you saying that the escaping gases blew the lubricants from the movement to the stem? :shock:

I often take (should read "took", pre kids era when I had some spare time...) my 5513 snorkeling/freediving, but have never taken it below 20m or so. I know the depth because I start to have problems equalizing below 25m... and while trying that my lungs start to remind me of my limited oxygen supply as well :roll:

Grand Master

I happily dive with mine .. as well as a dive computer. My SMP's, Superoceans, Subs, etc have been down to at most 40m in Asia, southern & Northern Europe, US, etc. But as I only ever wear a 1.5mm shortie I've never had to use the divers extension. :D
    /vince ..

Craftsman

yes....is that enough?

I did a fair bit of Commercial work in the 80's - SCUBA and surface supply with a Kirby Morgan 10 band mask.
    These days I dive for fun when on holiday - if I get the chance..

Here are two dives this year...

Cheers

Mark

I dive my watches, though not usually the vintage ones.

Master

Journeyman

Quote Originally Posted by manfis
    ... often wore my Sub 16800 which needed the crown unwound during deco, a mate had the back off and tells me theres heaps of muck round the stem and the movement is dry as due to doing this.
    Are you saying that the escaping gases blew the lubricants from the movement to the stem? :shock:
    No I think wearing the watch with the crown unscrewed allowed dirt and dust to gather around the stem and being told the movement was dry was a hint to get the watch serviced. :)

Master

Haven't been diving for a few years but when I do I wear mine. I did look stupid once wearing a solid gold presidential whilst hanging on to a dolphin. The pictures looked insane with that thing on my wrist. Don't do gold anymore, though... :D

Some good stories there guy's - good to see some of them used for their intended purpose.
    Have to confess that when I went to Nemo33 last weekend I wore my Doxa Pro
    Will post pic when I get them off a few people - my camera decided not to work......

Master

I usually dive with my CWC, hope to be able to take a Sub with me in the future :wink:

Chris,
    How was the trip? Worth the visit?

Gary
    PS Looking fwd to the pics :)

Quote Originally Posted by Onespeed
    Chris,
    How was the trip? Worth the visit?

Gary
    PS Looking fwd to the pics :)
    Hi Gary,
    Trip was brilliant - think I had far too much beer and not enough sleep over the weekend though.....

Nemo's worth a visit - definately one to get ticked off. The fact that it's heated to 30c makes it a pleasant dive.
    Be warned though they don't allow neoprene or cotton t-shirts; you are allowed to dive in a rash vest though.
    I did the 'hole' with my instructor as the organisers didn't seem all that bothered with who was qualified to dive to what depths (which I found a bit disconcerting!!). Infact they didn't check anyones quals at the sign in that I could see.
    Will post some pics when I get them off the guy's at the club.

Hi Chris,
    Glad to hear the trip was a success. Really looking forward to my visit in the spring :D . Thanks for the heads up about gear.

Gary