closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Will Paula Venells ever be held accountable?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by thebuffoon View Post
    It was, and it should be. It most certainly isn’t now.

I could give literally hundreds of examples where unfortunate folks have had to use our services and walked away with only 50% of the damages that were calculated to the last penny by the judge as putting them back in the same position they had been prior to whatever necessitated the litigation.

If your case is claiming under £100,000, don’t even bother, the economics work out so badly we can’t help while keeping our reputation intact. Once again, I’ve got some horrible examples of those, little old ladies ripped off for what remains of their savings, restaurant on a self repairing lease with criminal damage unrepaired etc.
    Jupiter forgot to say that it is impossible to recover your costs if found not guilty of a motoring offence since 2013, I found that one out the hard way.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianw View Post
    Jupiter forgot to say that it is impossible to recover your costs if found not guilty of a motoring offence since 2013, I found that one out the hard way.
    Oh yes! While I don’t get involved in criminal cases, you’d never recover anything like what you need to spend to clear yourself. I know of a doctor accused wrongly of a crime who spent £97,000 on his defence and received £2,400 back towards that, roughly what they’d have spent on the defence via legal aid. No justice at all.

At least it plays well to the gammon and the librarian twats.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuffoon View Post

At least it plays well to the gammon and the librarian twats.
    What have you got against librarians!!

Thete will be many small claims mixed up in this. I happen to knoow one eex postmaster who was deemed to owe £5000. He has received £6500 in compensation so is quite happy. Mind you, he didn't have his reputation dragged through the mud. He tells me that weekly totalling often didn't agree (with Horizon) with discrepancies almost every week. The Help Desk simply said they couldn't help so there was obviously a big failing there as well.

More subpostmasters cleared:

The Court of Appeal has cleared 12 more former subpostmasters who were wrongly convicted of offences during the Post Office Horizon scandal.

It brings the total of judgements overturned to 57, but hundreds more are hoping for similar decisions...

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PickleB View Post
    More subpostmasters cleared:

The Court of Appeal has cleared 12 more former subpostmasters who were wrongly convicted of offences during the Post Office Horizon scandal.

It brings the total of judgements overturned to 57, but hundreds more are hoping for similar decisions...
    It’s criminal it’s taking so long …the initial issue was a disgrace but the delay correcting it is even worse.

Post Office workers to get up to £100,000 interim payouts

Post Office workers who have had their convictions for theft, fraud and false accounting – the result of computing errors – quashed will each get an interim compensation payment of up to £100,000 the government has said.

In a written statement to the Commons on Thursday, the business secretary, Kwasi Kwarteng, said the government was supporting the Post Office to provide the cash before final compensation settlements were agreed.

The announcement came three days after 12 more Post Office workers had their convictions quashed at the court of appeal. Monday’s judgment took the total number of Post Office workers to be cleared to 57. They had been convicted because the defective Horizon IT system falsely suggested there were cash shortfalls.

Campaigners believe that as many as 900 operators may have been prosecuted and convicted between 2000 and 2014, in one of the biggest miscarriages of justice in British legal history...