closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Cat/Animal GPS/Radio trackers

Master

Cat/Animal GPS/Radio trackers

Does anyone have any experience of these devices? My Daughter has a young cat approx 6 month old and She wants to start letting her go outside but is afraid she will run off. Cat has been in the garden on a very long lead a few times and seems ok and she is a very small cat, part Sphynx but a full coat not hairless.
    When searching for reviews it seems all about vested interest links so we're looking for some objective views.
    Edit: Subscription free if possible.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 4th June 2021 at 11:18.

Cat/Animal GPS/Radio trackers

We use this one for our dog and it works well. No complaints. See if they have a cat version?

Tractive GPS Dog Tracker (2021) for Dog Collar, Always Know where your Dog is, 24/7 Location and Activity Monitoring https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08M6H28...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by o u t a t i m e View Post
    We use this one for our dog and it works well. No complaints. See if they have a cat version?

Tractive GPS Dog Tracker (2021) for Dog Collar, Always Know where your Dog is, 24/7 Location and Activity Monitoring https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08M6H28...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Yes, thanks, we were looking at that one but She doesn't want to pay a subscription.

Master
    Why does she think it will not come home? That's what cats do.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Smith View Post
    Yes, thanks, we were looking at that one but She doesn't want to pay a subscription.
    If you want GPS then you want a subscription. If not get a Tile or an Apple Air Tag but the services and results will differ.

My mum got a Tile for her cat and it didn't last a week. They always come home she just wanted to know who was feeding it.

Take a look at Invoxia. I've investigated these before because our dog had something of a reputation as Houdini between the ages of 1 and 4 (including the hilarious occasion when my parents received a phone call from Dublin zoo asking if they were missing an animal). He's quietened down considerab;y since.

https://www.ft.com/content/a979e469-...3-de5560df6763

I'd do some more due diligence - I generally rate Jonathan Margolis but I'm aware of at least one dud product that I recall him raving about.
    In the Sotadic Zone, apparently.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by markbannister View Post
    Why does she think it will not come home? That's what cats do.
    Paranoia lol. Personally I agree.

As per others, very rare for a cat to not come home in normal circumstances (we’ve had 20 over the years) and only one wandered off after a move, came back two weeks later then left again. Collars aren’t recommended for cats nowadays as they can get hung up on them and if they are safety collars they just come off! The cat should be chipped as a matter of course and the details kept up-to-date and if it should wander then should be easily re-united with her.
    The interest in how far they roam etc. is a different matter, I’d be fascinated to know how far some of ours traveled.

Master
    The cat has easily been inside long enough to know where it's "home" is so in almost all cases will come back. Even re-homes (or if you move house) you just keep them inside for a month so to get them used to the new place and then they should be fine. Just make sure it is chipped. We don't use collars for the stated reasons either. Either way if something alters at home and the cat decides it wants away then it will and nothing you can do about it really.

Craftsman
    I was once baby sitting my sister-in-law's cat at my home, 100 miles from its normal abode. I had strict instructions to NOT LET THE CAT OUT OF THE HOUSE! Of course, what did I do? I don't know how it happened, but that little rascal escaped into the garden, and then disappeared over the fence. When she came back to pick the cat up, my sister-in-law was not impressed, to say the least. The cat was missing overnight, and then appeared in my neighbour's garden, and we managed to corral it and return it back to its proper home.

So, a cat 100 miles from its normal home had enough sense to stay local, and come back to somewhere that was a least a little bit familiar.

Master
    We never kept a cat in for more than a few days and never lost one.

Remember seeing a programme a few months ago about cats in a village, seem to remember most did not go more than a couple of hundred yards.

Master
    Female cats don’t tend to wander as far as the males. Mine hasn’t left the garden perimeter in the last year (previous cat, a male, would go further, but they always know where home is).

As already said, if it’s been chipped then it can be returned if it is found miles from home. Having some kind of GPS collar is likely to do more harm than good.

Master
    Sorry don't agree, they don't always come back and on occasion your intervention avoids a real issue (was going to say catastrophe but avoided it). Mostly they do return but they only get to die once...
    We have Loc8tors on all ours and its helped out lots of times. Cats in sheds or just out wandering (cats do get lost) when they would ordinarily be in to eat; we keep ours in at night but free reign all day.
    Loc8tor isn't infallible and has line of sight about 140m but much less with objects in the way. But the handset is small so you are moving and they are too so it's rare to not find them.
    No ongoing fees and they are fairly cheap and the batteries are pennies off ebay.
    As the tags are on the colars if the cat comes back without its collar you can find the collar and it doesn't move off the cat!
    Fit safety collars or loose fit (adjusted) elasticated ones. Yes better to lose the collar than hang the cat but if its loose the cat's weight will pull it off.
    I wouldn't like mine out without them.
    I've looked for real time, rural (so Tile won't work) location but haven't found anything practical. They are usually aimed for dogs so the tags are much to big for cats.
    Last edited by DavidL; 5th June 2021 at 13:53.

Master
    My daughter was the same as we lost our old cat during the first lockdown, so the kitten became her precious.
    Recently he's wanted to go out, so we bought some nice collars with our details and a GPS tracker.
    He's lost three collars in a month but we managed to find the GPS tracker.
    He's come home each night at some point so nothing to worry about, I often see him out and about when I'm on my dog walk and it surprises me how far he gets.

But now he's got the taste of outdoors he hates to be confined to the house so much so last night he jumped out of an upstairs window, lands on his feet and trots off through the hedge returning a few hours later.

Sent from my LE2123 using Tapatalk

As many have said she will probs come home.
    However, it’s about peace of mind and the member who mentions the one with batteries are pennies off eBay seems to have a good handle on it all
    It’s true they don’t go too far, but I believe that’s once they DO know the ropes
    My kitten was lost on a few occasions early on, her inscribed tag with my phone number was brill.... she would end up in all sorts of houses.....
    Once in a very posh house on the edge of my estate - “have you lost a kitten” phone call.....
    “Define lost...”
    “Well she’s sat here having a lovely time in our laundry room.....”
    Brazen as.... but they’ve all loved her, and I get the odd wave off the owners of the houses I’ve fetched her from - they all ask how she is blah blah

They are at heart wild animals / get the details off the guy above s f feel safer though if it’s what’s needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    To update:
    They have now let her out in the garden untethered and she didn't attempt to leave the garden perimeter apart from once jumping on the neighbour conservatory but quly came back so all good so far. My Daughter has ordered an id tag as advised.

All good now, tag fitted and she comes back when called.
    Last edited by Harry Smith; 13th June 2021 at 16:31.