closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Used Car Shortage.

Hybrid View

I think the point is that regardless of the facts, the general perception is that EV batteries will need to be replaced, and it will be expensive to do so (to the extent that it's uneconomic compared to the car's value). Unless this perception changes, then it will have a negative effect on an older EV's resale value.

This will probably end up being a moot point anyway. In the future, it will be something like manufacturers only providing software updates to a car's OS for x years that kills cars.

Furthermore, I will spontaneously invent an EV vs. hydroen fuel cell battle for supremecy. In that battle, sre EVs VHS or Betamax?

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I think the point is that regardless of the facts, the general perception is that EV batteries will need to be replaced, and it will be expensive to do so (to the extent that it's uneconomic compared to the car's value). Unless this perception changes, then it will have a negative effect on an older EV's resale value.
    This ship appears to have sailed. A number of years ago, EVs were being handed back at the end of PCPs due to being worth considerably less than the balloon payment. This doesn’t happen any more and EVs seem to depreciate slightly less than ICE.

This will probably end up being a moot point anyway. In the future, it will be something like manufacturers only providing software updates to a car's OS for x years that kills cars.

Whilst Tesla send updates over the air, most EVs, like most ICE are only updated when necessary or not at all. My van had never had a software update.

Furthermore, I will spontaneously invent an EV vs. hydroen fuel cell battle for supremecy. In that battle, sre EVs VHS or Betamax?
    EVs are both Betamax in that it’s better than HFC and VHS in that it is the one that is being taken up by most. HFC will have its place but is unlikely to be in cars.

OK understood.

Wish I'd bounced it off all of you at the time as the dealer went into great length about battery replacement and even suggested a third party would do the work more cheaply.

I might have bought it if I'd known it was a minimal risk.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    OK understood.

Wish I'd bounced it off all of you at the time as the dealer went into great length about battery replacement and even suggested a third party would do the work more cheaply.

I might have bought it if I'd known it was a minimal risk.
    Don’t take my word for it, I’m only one owner.

Have a look on the speakEV forum. There’s lots of moaning about things but battery replacement costs or issues never gets a mention.

If you do the maths at around 200 miles per charge, one charge per week is 10,000 miles per year so 1000 charges (a minimum life span often quoted) is 20!years. The 1000 charges is until the battery is at about 75% or 150 miles range so you’ve still got a useable car, just less range.

^Right, and the CR-Z was partially ICE anyway.

*absent-mindedly opens Autotrader and starts to browse the classifieds*