closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Hybrid View

Own fewer cars per household...smaller and lighter would be better, make fewer powered trips and consume less that's what it's gonnna take.

Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Own fewer cars per household...smaller and lighter would be better, make fewer powered trips and consume less that's what it's gonnna take.
    Agreed, but in the absence of viable public transport in many areas, car ownership becomes almost a necessity to get to work on time. We’re wedded to the motor car whether we like it or not and I can’t see that changing. Smaller lighter vehicles makes a lot of sense, many modern cars are too big for narrow British roads and some incentives to get back to sensibly sized cars would make sense.

Electric vehicles will improve local air quality, that’s the big plus as I see it, but unless the rest of the world changes behaviours the CO2 emissions/ global warming problems will be unaffected by what we choose to do.

I can see a situation in the next 10-15 years where any drivers of ICE vehicles will be looked upon as pariahs. I think as the tech becomes more advanced, the anxiety that most people have about range slowly disappears and the issue regarding charging stations are rectified more and more people will convert over.
    Imagine being the owner of that one ICE vehicle in a street full of electric vehicles!
    Currently they’re not for everybody, if you’ve got to do plus 200 miles a day then I think things may currently be more complicated, if you’re the kind of person who’ stops for a coffee for 20 minutes and has a rapid charger en route then maybe not.
    For me someone who does something like 40-50 miles a day they make perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I can see a situation in the next 10-15 years where any drivers of ICE vehicles will be looked upon as pariahs. I think as the tech becomes more advanced, the anxiety that most people have about range slowly disappears and the issue regarding charging stations are rectified more and more people will convert over.
    Imagine being the owner of that one ICE vehicle in a street full of electric vehicles!
    Currently they’re not for everybody, if you’ve got to do plus 200 miles a day then I think things may currently be more complicated, if you’re the kind of person who’ stops for a coffee for 20 minutes and has a rapid charger en route then maybe not.
    For me someone who does something like 40-50 miles a day they make perfect sense.
    I do about 130 to 140 miles a day and there's no chance of having a fast charger on my drive. I have a fusebox under the stairs and no external walls near it thus making the installation impossible without having to tear up my recently installed flooring. I would love an EV but would have to get that range from a 13 amp socket. When that is doable, I'll get on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Kent View Post
    I do about 130 to 140 miles a day and there's no chance of having a fast charger on my drive. I have a fusebox under the stairs and no external walls near it thus making the installation impossible without having to tear up my recently installed flooring. I would love an EV but would have to get that range from a 13 amp socket. When that is doable, I'll get on board.
    Unless you have 3 phase at home I think all you could have anyway is a standard 7kw charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My next spare car will be an EV.

My primary car can't be swapped yet, but when the charging infrastructure and speed are there I'll be all in right away.

I had a Tesla for a couple of weeks in the states. I loved it, but found myself in a lot of shopping mall car parks for 45 minutes buying tat and didn't need and eating rubbish while the vehicle charged. It's a pretty poor experience and that's with decent infrastructure. It'll get better, but I drive to Skye from London 3-4 times a year as well as driving holidays in France and at the moment it's too much of a lottery. My friends with EVs who make similar journeys all have stories of hitting 2 or 3 charging stations in a row either busy or broken. It took one guy 5 hours to get charged. I can't risk that with young kids yet.

These are all teething problems though. Soon a charge will take no longer than filling up petrol.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by guinea View Post
    My next spare car will be an EV.

My primary car can't be swapped yet, but when the charging infrastructure and speed are there I'll be all in right away.

I had a Tesla for a couple of weeks in the states. I loved it, but found myself in a lot of shopping mall car parks for 45 minutes buying tat and didn't need and eating rubbish while the vehicle charged. It's a pretty poor experience and that's with decent infrastructure. It'll get better, but I drive to Skye from London 3-4 times a year as well as driving holidays in France and at the moment it's too much of a lottery. My friends with EVs who make similar journeys all have stories of hitting 2 or 3 charging stations in a row either busy or broken. It took one guy 5 hours to get charged. I can't risk that with young kids yet.

These are all teething problems though. Soon a charge will take no longer than filling up petrol.
    This pretty much is why they are not good to go...

... Hope car don't melt charging at that rate.... Lol

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Grand Master
    Blog Entries
    If i want to go electric I have the precisely the choice of one vehicle.

https://www.brotherwood.com/wheelcha...issan-env-200/
    Cheers,

Ben

..... for I have become the Jedi of flippers

" an extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife "