closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RobDad View Post
    Good to know the tech is evolving, and I’m not suggesting we go backwards, just that perhaps we dump some luxuries that we don’t really need in favour of more efficiency and if it means more, cheaper EV’s to choose from for the man/woman in the street as opposed to early adopters/the wealthy then I don’t see a problem.
    Sorely tempted by that Golf gti!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dacia might well be one of the first to enter this end of the market.
    https://www.drivingelectric.com/daci...ing-considered

Master

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Dacia might well be one of the first to enter this end of the market.
    https://www.drivingelectric.com/daci...ing-considered
    I would have said that MG have already done this with the MG5
    Admittedly it’s not as cheap as the car in the link, but for a medium sized electric car, I think it’s good value.
    Last edited by jaytip; 10th August 2021 at 13:44.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Admittedly it’s not as cheap as the car in the link, but for a medium sized electric car, I think it’s good value.
    I’d kinda dismissed them as I believe even with the gov grant it’s base is north of £20k either way the market is calling for more players in the low end market.

Everyone's finances will be different of course.

I was wary of spending the necessary to buy a new/newish electric car, until someone pointed out to me that I would probably save about £2k/year in fuel/tax/servicing costs and that if you can borrow cheaply (eg mortgage) the cost of the borrowing would be far less than the saving.

Best wishes,
    Martyn.

I am not there yet, but I did drive a Taycan Turbo S last year and was deeply impressed. I walked away thinking I've definitely tasted the future and it was good.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    I’ve driven a Skoda Enyaq today and it’s fantastic. In the short trip I’ve done albeit a mix of town and country it retuned 3.5 miles per KW. I know I’m not currently using lights etc but even so this would exceed my weekly need. Just had the quote and it’ll be £455 a month which includes VAT with 3 payments down. Serious contender to the Merc IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Skoda or Mercedes I just couldn't imagine paying £455 per month. Might be different if I owned a business or it was via a company cars scheme but that's big money although I'm probably out of touch here.

Quote Originally Posted by adigra View Post
    I am not there yet, but I did drive a Taycan Turbo S last year and was deeply impressed. I walked away thinking I've definitely tasted the future and it was good.
    The new Taycan cross turismo (estate) would be my lottery win car.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    Skoda or Mercedes I just couldn't imagine paying £455 per month. Might be different if I owned a business or it was via a company cars scheme but that's big money although I'm probably out of touch here.

The new Taycan cross turismo (estate) would be my lottery win car.
    Im currently paying £480 for my Disco Sport so at £503 it’s comparable. The saving will be in the fuel used without doubt as I’ll be essentially cutting my costs by over 2/3rds. There is of course the argument that I could be driving around in a small city car which would clearly be a lot cheaper and better on fuel but I think you either want a car like that or you don’t. Personally I don’t and I’d prefer a bit of luxury and space for the hounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    I’d kinda dismissed them as I believe even with the gov grant it’s base is north of £20k either way the market is calling for more players in the low end market.
    My daughter bought a new MG ZS EV for around £21k last year; they’re about £26k now as there aren’t the discounts there were. The MG5 is similar.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post

I've had an MG5LR since September 2021. I think it's brilliant. It's got all the toys you actually need but not the ones that are in real terms frivolous. I am getting 200 or slightly more miles in the winter and 250 to 260 during summer, and that's regularly using aircon, heating, and Boom radio. For my purposes it's the perfect car.