closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Pitch3110 View Post
    Not quite but Lowestoft to York to see big son and his tribe, 210 miles door to door.

Cut across to Grantham Tesla SC, 20 minutes whilst we have a coffee and a pee then straight to York. Two days pottering from hotel to his and back and out and about and then same on the trip back home. Car was telling me 25 minutes charge to get home but had a burger and ended up there for 30 mins. Job done.

A regular round trip for me on site visits is Lowestoft-Haverhill-Cambridge-Attleborough-Lowestoft. Always stop at Elveden SC for 30 mins for a cuppa and emails.

As I mentioned above, I would not put complete trust the public network.

Pitch
    Thanks Pitch.

That is easily do-able.

Think I'm beginning to change my mind.

It's good to hear as I think your capacity for hassle is similar to mine.

When I read reviews on Google there is always so much variation in experience.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Thanks Pitch.

That is easily do-able.

Think I'm beginning to change my mind.

It's good to hear as I think your capacity for hassle is similar to mine.

When I read reviews on Google there is always so much variation in experience.
    No worries.

I really did want an I pace when ordering June last year as a hatch would be more useable but it came down to the two things that are the biggy with EV’s, speed of charge and range, the Model 3 was a no brainier. I considered a Model S but the switchgear seemed dated and having had big SUV’s I thought I would try something smaller again.

My out was always hand down to one of my staff if I did not get on with the Model 3 or the EV experience proved a ball ache. As I mentioned earlier I would not return to an ICE car by choice, I absolutely love my Performance, the front view aside of courses YUK.

Pitch

No worries.

I would not return to an ICE car by choice, I absolutely love my Performance, the front view aside of courses YUK.

Pitch
    Yes, I've heard it's brutally fast. I listen to Musk on podcasts and some of the things he has in mind are amazing.

Plus I know if I do make the switch, BN Dave would probably approve.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaOmega View Post
    Yes, I've heard it's brutally fast. I listen to Musk on podcasts and some of the things he has in mind are amazing.

Plus I know if I do make the switch, BN Dave would probably approve.
    Lov it, I can just hear him now “ Piggy eyes, I like ya style Paul mate, now let’s eat pizza”

Miss him.

Blog Entries
    When I hear my colleagues talking on the blower with LR, BMW & Audi with service & warranty issues & trying to get booked in I just smile.

Today……. 2 weeks ago I used the Tesla app to book this morning in for a bit of work, yesterday a text to confirm address (I changed from my office to home), text received this morning to say he was on the drive, 30 mins later all done, “anything else sir”? And gone.

I know it’s not perfect but 12 months in and I really could not be happier with the Tesla approach, it puts 18 years of BMW and Audi ownership to shame. I don’t need all the swanky dealerships and suited yes sir, no sir bollocks, it is so refreshing.

Flip, I am sounding like a fan boy.

Pitch

Master
    My wife and I do about 45k miles a year between us, in EVs, it’s really not as difficult as some are making out.

I did a near 1000 mile round trip in mine at the beginning and end of a week a few weeks ago, it was relaxing, cheap, and perfectly viable. That was in the ID.3 as well, not the Tesla.

Lov it, I can just hear him now “ Piggy eyes, I like ya style Paul mate, now let’s eat pizza”

Miss him.

Yes.

What makes me happy is that he is fulfilling his dream.

Sorry for the thread drift all.

Out of curiosity do folks with electric vehicles also run another Ev OR ice car in their household...just wondering really.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Passenger View Post
    Out of curiosity do folks with electric vehicles also run another Ev OR ice car in their household...just wondering really.
    That will depend on the motoring needs of the household, obviously, but my wife has just gone EV as well after 6 years of watching me make them work. Albeit with a few teething issues early on, it’s true.

She actually loves the idea of ‘refuelling’ at home, and enjoys the way they drive, and she’s not an idiot either! ;-)

I’m actually thinking about an ICE car as a play thing again, I’d like to reacquaint myself with an early Boxster, I love the engine note and I like getting the spanner’s out now and again. Two things I do miss with regard to EVs.

ICE is a dead end.
    I’m not a driver though that will change soon when the Mrs finally gets round to buying a car, it will obviously be electric or a hybrid (not one with a 15 mile range and a full size ICE)

We are not car people and find the whole identity/ego thing and people living with their parents but driving a bmw for half their wages extremely odd, we are not the only people who think this way.
    The whole language of motoring is totally skewed the wrong way, it’s something to get you somewhere with little fuss not something that identifies you.
    Just look at the aggressive design language of cars today, it’s so wrapped up in Male ego, no wonder millennials are shunning car ownership, they see them as depreciating assets you leave on the streets and when you do use them it’s to sit in going nowhere fast.
    Hopefully a big player outside the car world will get involved (Sony/apple/Fuji/Panasonic) and start selling vehicles to get you somewhere without all the willy waving that’s ingrained into cars.

Master
    Supermarkets are getting them in because they can and often have room for them. Put them in now so they are ready unlike the housing estates mentioned earlier. Also you've got customers who will shop whilst they are charging the vehicle. Are the chargers the stores or a partnership with the charging co. Can see tie ins with nectar/Tesco Club being an advantage to the owners of the sites.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mrushton View Post
    Supermarkets are getting them in because they can and often have room for them. Put them in now so they are ready unlike the housing estates mentioned earlier. Also you've got customers who will shop whilst they are charging the vehicle. Are the chargers the stores or a partnership with the charging co. Can see tie ins with nectar/Tesco Club being an advantage to the owners of the sites.
    All the supermarket chargers I’m aware of are partnerships with charging companies, which makes sense I think.

Booths have gone with Instavolt rapid chargers which makes sense for a 20-30 minute visit. You won’t get much charge from even a 7kW post in that time.

PodPoint have partnered with Tesco, and they’re in a few Sainsbury’s stores as well. Geniepoint are at some Morrison’s, and NewMotion (a Shell company) are going in at Aldi.

Homes shouldn’t need ‘upgrading’ as such, most new homes have a 100A supply which is plenty for a 7kW home charger alongside the normal requirements of even a large home, unless you hear a swimming pool or hot tub etc at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith View Post

Hopefully a big player outside the car world will get involved (Sony/apple/Fuji/Panasonic) and start selling vehicles to get you somewhere without all the willy waving that’s ingrained into cars.
    For me, the key to long and enjoyable ownership of cars and vans is choosing the right engine, usually something that doesn't have to be worked too hard.
    I have found a similar thing with cordless power tools, where the battery is everything. So many generations of useable tools have been prematurely replaced not because of mechanical failure, but because the batteries were screwed. OEM batteries became disproportionately expensive relative to a new bundle of tools and clone batteries have always proved to be crap.
    So last time I decided to find the best batteries and choose a tool brand which used them. My homework came up with Panasonic (who manufacture both batteries and tools) and they are now my preferred brand.
    Based on this (possibly irrelevant) experience, "Powered By Panasonic" on the rear end of an EV would certainly get my attention.
    Last edited by forpetesake; 23rd August 2021 at 21:33.

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    For me, the key to long and enjoyable ownership of cars and vans is choosing the right engine, usually something that doesn't have to be worked too hard.
    I have found a similar thing with cordless power tools, where the battery is everything. So many generations of useable tools have been prematurely replaced not because of mechanical failure, but because the batteries were screwed. OEM batteries became disproportionately expensive relative to a new bundle of tools and clone batteries have always proved to be crap.
    So last time I decided to find the best batteries and choose a tool brand which used them. My homework came up with Panasonic (who manufacture both batteries and tools) and they are now my preferred brand.
    Based on this (possibly irrelevant) experience, "Powered By Panasonic" on the rear end of an EV would certainly get my attention.
    There's a good chance a few cars do have Panasonic cells. My main gripe with ev car batteries is there's nothing clever about them, they are just plastic boxes stuffed full of 18650 or 21700 battery cells, laptop battery cells, or electronic vape batteries, same is in your power tools or robot lawn mower, hundreds or even thousands of them. The extra weight that must involve over something bespoke like a scaled up mobile phone battery is mind boggling. The big players in 18650 and 21700 cells are Sony, Samsung, LG and Panasonic, so pretty much any ev car will be filled with one of those

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    I think Panasonic are already deeply connected to the EV development already.