closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    It takes an awful lot of energy to extract oil, refine and distribute petrol as well, that’s even before you burn it.

Oil is too valuable a resource to waste in passenger cars is my view, but I accept that I’m probably in the minority right now.
    Oh I know and agree but what about the resources needed to mine the minerals etc to build batteries?

It’ll be interesting to see how the second hand industry develops with electric cars, I mean who’d buy an electric car a few years old knowing the batteries are depleting all the time and they will cost to renew…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Martylaa View Post
    Oh I know and agree but what about the resources needed to mine the minerals etc to build batteries?

It’ll be interesting to see how the second hand industry develops with electric cars, I mean who’d buy an electric car a few years old knowing the batteries are depleting all the time and they will cost to renew…

There will also come a time in the next few years when the value of secondhand ICE cars will plummet as no one wants the dirty, heavily taxed old tech. I would expect the premium end of the market would be hit first.
    Sales of new BEV cars has already overtaken diesel. We must therefore be getting close to peak petrol / diesel usage, so we are probably only a few years away when the number of filling stations starts to decline too.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Master

The same people who buy internal combustion cars knowing that components are wearing themselves out and will need to be replaced?

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    The same people who buy internal combustion cars knowing that components are wearing themselves out and will need to be replaced?
    Not sure it's exactly the same I would not be buying a Ice car where the fuel tank is getting smaller limiting my driving time/range.

I am not even sure how viable green energy is tbh. Wind turbines have a huge initial cost and if its like the one at my work is always broken with people from Finland out at it. I think to have a discussion about going green a lot of information has to make its way to the public domain. Even something as simple as how long does it take to pay for itself? It was not long ago solar panels were being sold and loans taken but again most were viable only because of the higher feed in tarif.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBROSUS View Post
    Not sure it's exactly the same I would not be buying a Ice car where the fuel tank is getting smaller limiting my driving time/range.

I am not even sure how viable green energy is tbh. Wind turbines have a huge initial cost and if its like the one at my work is always broken with people from Finland out at it. I think to have a discussion about going green a lot of information has to make its way to the public domain. Even something as simple as how long does it take to pay for itself? It was not long ago solar panels were being sold and loans taken but again most were viable only because of the higher feed in tarif.

How quickly do you believe range reduction becomes apparent and then how quickly for that to become a limiting factor in daily usage?

Craftsman
    How quickly do you believe range reduction becomes apparent and then how quickly for that to become a limiting factor in daily usage?
    Batteries I believe are guerenteed for 10 years by which time the capacity can be reduced by 70% is what I remember when I was looking.

If I was to drive fife to Manchester to watch rhe football I would recon depending on the vehival chosen I would struggle and add a good hour or so to my journey. Just a guess as I've never owned an electric car but would also not consider dropping 50k for an inferior experience than I have now

Master
    Batteries I believe are guerenteed for 10 years by which time the capacity can be reduced by 70% is what I remember when I was looking.

If I was to drive fife to Manchester to watch rhe football I would recon depending on the vehival chosen I would struggle and add a good hour or so to my journey. Just a guess as I've never owned an electric car but would also not consider dropping 50k for an inferior experience than I have now

I think you are confusing warranty terms with expected drop off overtime, and I suspect that referrers to the Renault battery lease terms. After all it’s in the manufacturers best interest to minimise claims.

Either way real world reports show from around 0.6 to 1.6 for a lot of the current gen options, I suspect within 5 years electric will be the clear sales leader.

I really want to want one but...it's going to take a long time to get the charging network anything like good enough, the cost saving is questionable once you take account of the high initial cost, there's no doubt whichever way you look at it that there's a convenience cost, and I don't think the relative environmental impact is anywhere close to certain.

I certainly wouldn't buy one but could be tempted by a lease, especially through a company. Waiting for Tesla to produce something with the same practicality and build quality as regular SUV or estate.

Craftsman
    No I never looked at a Renault at the time I looked the batteries mostly lasted 100k miles with a decent drop of in range reported 7 or so years ago.

How they do now not too sure mabe 50% or so better as with most batter operated tools etc.

The EV are OK and have their place but are nowhere near replacing an ICE. I doubt they would make the 3 and 4 hundred miles round trip with a horse box.

Great they have got better but not much else unless you dotter about town with the odd long journey thrown in or have a known route that is well planned out to hit charging points.

As for being popular most likely this type of vehicals are being heavily backed but huge investment is needed and it has to work. I'm sitting here with virgin 350 Meg I think benchmarking 50 Meg. I just hope the EV charging is rolled out better than this fibre broadband. Ohhh and don't get me started on the latency.... Lol

Anyway to each their own... Have a good one
    I think you are confusing warranty terms with expected drop off overtime, and I suspect that referrers to the Renault battery lease terms. After all it’s in the manufacturers best interest to minimise claims.

Either way real world reports show from around 0.6 to 1.6 for a lot of the current gen options, I suspect within 5 years electric will be the clear sales leader.

Should this be the case, it would surely have profound implications for society and the economy.
    At present, the cost threshold to pre-owned ICE car ownership is relatively low and offers the freedom of unrestricted mileage personal transport to a wide spread of income groups. Low cost brings an affordable means of commuting and unrestricted mileage enables family holidays to the coast.
    If people living in terraced housing are denied practical access to charging or if manual workers can afford only an EV with a range so severely limited that it denies them holidays, this would constitute more than a mere inconvenience. It would be felt as withdrawal of a fundamental liberty and discriminatory and inequitable because only those in new £30+K cars would remain truly mobile. It would surely provoke a powerful political reaction.
    I do hope things don't turn out that way but am uncertain if it will all work out okay if left solely to the market economy.
    In the meantime, I'm glad the early adopters appear so pleased.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Should this be the case, it would surely have profound implications for society and the economy.
    At present, the cost threshold to pre-owned ICE car ownership is relatively low and offers the freedom of unrestricted mileage personal transport to a wide spread of income groups. Low cost brings an affordable means of commuting and unrestricted mileage enables family holidays to the coast.
    If people living in terraced housing are denied practical access to charging or if manual workers can afford only an EV with a range so severely limited that it denies them holidays, this would constitute more than a mere inconvenience. It would be felt as withdrawal of a fundamental liberty and discriminatory and inequitable because only those in new £30+K cars would remain truly mobile. It would surely provoke a powerful political reaction.
    I do hope things don't turn out that way but am uncertain if it will all work out okay if left solely to the market economy.
    Not sure of the relevance or if you have read my posts on this topic or just forund a reply to another members post?

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by forpetesake View Post
    Buy a car with a small tank and you’ll fill up more often. Similarly, if you buy an EV with a small battery, you’ll have to charge more often.

Batteries in EVs are getting bigger and these will filter down the price range as they get older. Yes, the range may be 10-15% lower than new ones but it won’t exactly be restrictive.

Your post also got me thinking, what if petrol was rationed in the aim of going greener? It could well happen that everyone is allowed say, 20 litres per week.

In addition, perhaps cheap motoring shouldn’t be a right and should only be for only those who can afford it. Of course there’d have to be a substantial improvement in cheap public transport.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave+63 View Post
    In addition, perhaps cheap motoring shouldn’t be a right and should only be for only those who can afford it. Of course there’d have to be a substantial improvement in cheap public transport.
    And make it even cheaper for those who can afford it by giving them grants and charging everyone else fuel duty.

Seems fair.
    Last edited by Kingstepper; 21st August 2021 at 19:20.

Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

In 2015, I paid £10,400+VAT for a one year old van with 4,500 miles on the clock. Last year, I was paid out £9,700+ VAT by my insurance company when it was written off two miles short of 50,000 miles.

I replaced it with a similar, 64 plate van. At no point have I had any concern whatsoever about the life of the battery.

What is evident to me is how everyone who doesn’t drive an EV continually roll out all the same old arguments as to why EV doesn’t work, whilst those who’ve moved over to full EV, in the main, will never go back to ICE. I don’t count hybrids though, as that’s the worst of both worlds, whatever Toyota may tell you!

Master

Yes, it takes resources to build anything, that’s not exclusive to electric cars though. We mine minerals to make all batteries, not just cars.

Batteries in EVs are proving to be much longer lived than most people thought, they’re designed to last the life of the car and then can be re purposed (powerwalls etc) or recycled. Cobalt free batteries are now also a thing,

Everything we consume/use has an impact, that’s fact, EVs are part of an effort to try and lower that. They won’t save the planet, and the only ‘green’ car is no car at all really.

I just prefer driving them now, to be honest, the Tesla in particular is a right laugh and raises a smile when I want it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Yes, it takes resources to build anything, that’s not exclusive to electric cars though. We mine minerals to make all batteries, not just cars.

Batteries in EVs are proving to be much longer lived than most people thought, they’re designed to last the life of the car and then can be re purposed (powerwalls etc) or recycled. Cobalt free batteries are now also a thing,

Everything we consume/use has an impact, that’s fact, EVs are part of an effort to try and lower that. They won’t save the planet, and the only ‘green’ car is no car at all really.

I just prefer driving them now, to be honest, the Tesla in particular is a right laugh and raises a smile when I want it to.
    Tbh I really cannot disagree with you there, for me I have various doubts about it all, I’ll be waiting for a few more years before I consider looking at them properly.

Have to say when I had a go of my mates Tesla, yes I did get out being blown away by the performance but, just not for me in reality, plus I couldn’t bring myself to paying £40k or whatever a Tesla is anyway tbh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk