closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Certina Super PH1000m RAN

Certina Super PH1000m RAN

Have long wanted one of these, after owning several of the civilian versions. Picked this up in Sydney whilst on R&R and wanted to share.

A very solid watch, just like it's civilian counterpart. This particular watch is a very early version, with the 919-1 movement. What's the difference? Well, for one it has a quickset date, a very welcome feature for a watch that won't get worn that often (after my initial euphoria wears off). This watch has a bit of wabi, but is actually in better shape than the last NOS (yellow dial) I had in that the bezel is quite tight. I've never had a PH1000m bezel off, but there is some kind of spring that keeps the push-and-turn bezel in the up position and that spring is invariably worn. This one is very tight, giving a very positive feel when you push and turn the bezel - there will be no 'accidents' with this one and there is no 'Certina tinkle' to mark one's presence.

(really should have taken a toothbrush to the back before the photo session - sorry!)

The dial is slightly faded to a charcoal grey and may even have been cleaned at one point for a re-lume. The lume is discoloured and the application was sloppy - not unlike many MoD jobs we've seen in the past. The hand lume has aged nicely however. I do know a previous owner of this watch and will have to ping him to see if he knows any more about its history.

Re: Certina Super PH1000m RAN

Comparison photos of yellow and black civilian versions.

This is probably my favourite leather strap for this difficult-to-fit watch.

Great catch Colin :D

At the risk of being cheeky...... :P

When the moment is appropriate can we see a group shot of the collection you are systematicaly absorbing :P
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Chris, I plan on doing one of my Baghdad collection before I leave, probably around the holidays. Once I get home, it'll be winter time - possibly in the spring once the weather turns...

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    Chris, I plan on doing one of my Baghdad collection before I leave, probably around the holidays. Once I get home, it'll be winter time - possibly in the spring once the weather turns...
    Thanks Colin :D
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Fantastic watch and pictures Colin. :D The RAN-issued DS-3 Super PH 1000m is the only remaining DS-2/DS-3 1000 iteration that I don't have.

Dave, would love to see photos of yours - feel free to add them here! Do you have a black with raised indices perchance? These are rare IME and very attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalu
    Dave, would love to see photos of yours - feel free to add them here! Do you have a black with raised indices perchance? These are rare IME and very attractive.
    I'll have to sort out the pictures Colin. I accumulate watches much quicker than I take pictures. :) I think that I've got a black dial with raised indices, I''ll have to check. I've gone off divers a bit since embarking on an automatic Lemania watch quest :D

Beautiful watches.
    Nalu is always showing me new things to want... dangerous collection!

Dave, I'm in the same boat! Half the watches I have here haven't been photographed yet and there are another 30-40 which have arrived at my parents' house which will need documenting when I get home. I'll need a week just to get that process started! If you fall out of love with any Certina's, I'd be interested. Most of the above are gone, with only a yellow/raised indice and two RAN's remaining (one of which has yet to be photographed :roll: ).

Darkman, danger is my middle name! Avoiding my posts can save people lots of money. OTOH, if SWMBO is on your case, you can always point to me as evidence that your form of the disease is relatively mild :mrgreen:

Craftsman

Superb watch colin!!!

Craftsman

awesome watches, thanks for sharing