closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Hybrid View

No ones trying to convince anyone to do anything but I fail to see how it won’t pay in the long run if you’re purchasing a comparably priced vehicle.
    £10 for 200 miles or £30 for 200 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Franky Four Fingers View Post
    No ones trying to convince anyone to do anything but I fail to see how it won’t pay in the long run if you’re purchasing a comparably priced vehicle.
    £10 for 200 miles or £30 for 200 miles.
    Of course, but how on earth are we going to generate and distribute sufficient electricity - the gap between now and what the aspirations are seem to be miles out of alignment?
    When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you.........

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_in_the_UK View Post
    Of course, but how on earth are we going to generate and distribute sufficient electricity - the gap between now and what the aspirations are seem to be miles out of alignment?
    Won’t the majority of charging be done overnight? Purely guesswork here but I’d think that there is more energy being used by households through the day (cooker, washer, tumble dryer, kettle etc) than there would be with the same household charging an electric car overnight.
    If the grid can meet the demand through the day, why wouldn’t it meet the demand through the night?

Quote Originally Posted by jaytip View Post
    Won’t the majority of charging be done overnight? Purely guesswork here but I’d think that there is more energy being used by households through the day (cooker, washer, tumble dryer, kettle etc) than there would be with the same household charging an electric car overnight.
    If the grid can meet the demand through the day, why wouldn’t it meet the demand through the night?
    Because everyone will be charging overnight eventually- during the day a lot of houses are empty and need changes throughout the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like the government missed an opportunity to gather information about on/off street parking in the last census.....opportunity missed or what?

Presumably the amount of energy required would be enormously increased if everyone had a battery car

Quote Originally Posted by Mr G Imp View Post
    Presumably the amount of energy required would be enormously increased if everyone had a battery car
    Electricity provided by Fossil Fuel and Nuclear Power Stations, again makes the green aspect of it laughable...

Like others I'm waiting for when the government works out how to tax those EV's and the Power Companies raise the nighttime tariff's, then and only then will you see how beneficial they are to run...

I'd love to be proven wrong but I always remember when the Government pushed Diesel cars not too long ago, and look how that turned out...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41985715

They're already admitting people driving EV's will leave the pot empty...
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55358100
    Last edited by Martylaa; 14th August 2021 at 20:00.

The power requirements will (currently) be massive beyond the cooker/tumble dryer/kettle balance - what if you have 2 cars?

The power requirements will (currently) be massive beyond the cooker/tumble dryer/kettle balance - what if you have 2 cars?
    If I have my oven and electric boiler on my usage goes up to over 16kw an hour as the boiler alone is 14kw.....massive won’t be the word for it.

Master
    We have 2 EVs, but only a single 7kW charge point, and we manage fine. If we were both maxing out the range on them each day and they both needed to be full again by the morning, that would be an issue. But if that was our lifestyle I think we’d have other things to worry about to be honest.

Master
    The National Grid don’t seem to be too concerned about that?

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories...ehicles-busted

It’s going to need investment, but the government seems willing to do that, at the moment. Private companies are also investing heavily in public charging.

This EV revolution is going to bring new jobs, on street slow charging in cities is already being trialled, if you can plug in where you park your car be that on your drive or on the street, it really isn’t technically impossible.

In the ‘what do you drive’ thread, we all coo over a McLaren (and a very nice car it is too!) but mention of EVs has people in all sorts of a state.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    The National Grid don’t seem to be too concerned about that?

https://www.nationalgrid.com/stories...ehicles-busted

It’s going to need investment, but the government seems willing to do that, at the moment. Private companies are also investing heavily in public charging.

This EV revolution is going to bring new jobs, on street slow charging in cities is already being trialled, if you can plug in where you park your car be that on your drive or on the street, it really isn’t technically impossible.

In the ‘what do you drive’ thread, we all coo over a McLaren (and a very nice car it is too!) but mention of EVs has people in all sorts of a state.
    I read that earlier - it seems to have some mixed messages TBH. Whilst I really want the planet to be saved, I am really sceptical with some of the claims and the issues around charge points and the reliability and the widely varying tariffs etc. I am hugely suspicious that the loss of revenue from ICE fuel sales will pile onto EV's and it will effectively be a nil-sum situation in cash terms for the end user.

I appreciate that currently the EV debate is dependant on personal/job circumstances - for us, I could use an EV without issue except there are non that I currently like that are 100% EV and the cost of conversion to those I do is not worth it to me. My wife might struggle occasionally in that she is unable to charge at work and there are non en-route - plus working shifts is not conducive to 'topping up' after being hammered on a night shift.

We never do the 'stop off for food/coffee' when going anywhere and this seems to be a necessary process driving an EV.

I appreciate this is a negative standpoint for sure, but I am still not convinced it's the solution currently.

BTW, I would never buy a McLaren - it's the most effective solution to loosing money after a family stay at Centre Parcs.

Master
    I read that earlier - it seems to have some mixed messages TBH. Whilst I really want the planet to be saved, I am really sceptical with some of the claims and the issues around charge points and the reliability and the widely varying tariffs etc. I am hugely suspicious that the loss of revenue from ICE fuel sales will pile onto EV's and it will effectively be a nil-sum situation in cash terms for the end user.

I appreciate that currently the EV debate is dependant on personal/job circumstances - for us, I could use an EV without issue except there are non that I currently like that are 100% EV and the cost of conversion to those I do is not worth it to me. My wife might struggle occasionally in that she is unable to charge at work and there are non en-route - plus working shifts is not conducive to 'topping up' after being hammered on a night shift.

We never do the 'stop off for food/coffee' when going anywhere and this seems to be a necessary process driving an EV.

I appreciate this is a negative standpoint for sure, but I am still not convinced it's the solution currently.

BTW, I would never buy a McLaren - it's the most effective solution to loosing money after a family stay at Centre Parcs.
    To be fair Chris, neither am I convinced it’s the total solution. I support grey pointy fast flying things for a living, I know that some things it will never be practical to electrify, not in my lifetime anyway!

I can drive for 3 hours at a time in the ID.3, possibly more in the Tesla, and I’m ready for a break by then anyway, but that’s an age thing I’m sure.

I totally get why people are reluctant or have suspicions around EVs, I’m just trying to help people with some of the questions being raised is all. I’ve been doing it for a good while now, but I accept (and have said) that they might not work for everybody yet.

I’m with you on Centre Parcs, when did that get so expensive?! 😳😂