closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Mattress Advice (Mattress in a Box)

Master

Mattress Advice (Mattress in a Box)

Just wondering about trying one of these ‘Simba’ type mattress-in-a-box things.

They seem to get good reviews.

Any suggestions or advice?

We have a single Emma for my daughter.
    It is firm but very nice.
    I got it in a 50% sale, there is no way I'd pay more than this! And it will be returned if it doesn't do every day of the 10 Yr guarantee

We’ve just returned our eve premium hybrid, too firm & hot for us!

Luckily I kept our old one as 16 weeks to get one from furniture village at the moment..

There’s a whole thread on them...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...light=Mattress
    Last edited by Snoodles; 15th November 2020 at 09:20.

They’re a bit odd to start with but once used to it absolutely fantastic, I’ll never have anything else again.

Got a ridiculously expensive Tempur superking on the main bed but got a couple Emma on the child and spare room beds. Eve had problems with ordering so would avoid, Simba seem priced a bit higher for some reason. As said they all have big discount sales so buy what’s going on a deal to try.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    We’ve just returned our eve premium hybrid, too firm & hot for us!

Luckily I kept our old one as 16 weeks to get one from furniture village at the moment..

There’s a whole thread on them...

https://forum.tz-uk.com/showthread.p...light=Mattress
    Argh! I specifically advanced searched G&D for the term ‘mattress’ in subject line and got nothing. I thought I’d seen a thread in the past. Thanks!

Master
    Blog Entries
    We bought a Simba recently. Very comfortable but the faint chemical smell refused to disappear, even after two months (they acknowledge that they often smell a little for the first couple of weeks - I think it's the fire retardant they use - but then should be odourless). I couldn't really notice it but my wife could and didn't like it so we sent it back. It was taken back without fuss and prompt refund initiated (a company comes to collect, putting it in a bag, collecting from the bedroom).

A shame it didn't work out for us but I can't fault Simba's customer service.

Wonder what happens to all these returns. Are prices double what they could be because half are returned?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    Wonder what happens to all these returns. Are prices double what they could be because half are returned?
    Yes indeed thought the very same, perhaps on EBay as seconds?

We had to wait over two weeks for our refund also after a couple of prompts!

Master
    We have a Casper, and very happy with it. Struggle with anything that isn’t memory foam these days. They were a pleasure to deal with as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GraniteQuarry View Post
    They’re a bit odd to start with but once used to it absolutely fantastic, I’ll never have anything else again.

Got a ridiculously expensive Tempur superking on the main bed but got a couple Emma on the child and spare room beds. Eve had problems with ordering so would avoid, Simba seem priced a bit higher for some reason. As said they all have big discount sales so buy what’s going on a deal to try.
    Yes, they do take some getting used to... it took us a good couple of weeks with our Emma but we would never go back to a traditional mattress now. So comfortable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
    We have a single Emma for my daughter.
    It is firm but very nice.
    I got it in a 50% sale, there is no way I'd pay more than this! And it will be returned if it doesn't do every day of the 10 Yr guarantee
    Lol Doc!

Master
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoodles View Post
    Yes indeed thought the very same, perhaps on EBay as seconds?

We had to wait over two weeks for our refund also after a couple of prompts!
    I think hotels buy them at a knock down price.

like many of these types of threads, try for yourself is THE best answer

I was very sceptical but I have to say our recent “Emma” is the best mattress we’ve ever had. The sleep we get is superb. We also got ours via a discount and for the money it is a no brainer..

I have an Eve mattress in every room of the new house, paired with their slated beds - so far sleeping very well, and every guest has commented favourably on their sleep.

I’ve tried Tempur in the past and it was just too hot for me, but the Eve premium hybrid is about the right balance for me heat wise. It was a firmer mattress than I expected from the reviews though, and I’ve generally had mattresses with a more plush initial feel - but the missus prefers a firmer mattress, so...

I also like the fact they are made in the UK.
    It's just a matter of time...

Journeyman
    We’ve just ordered an Emma mattress, 35% off with Black Friday deal. Not used one before so looking forward to trying it.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingstepper View Post
    In general they are donated to charities such as Age Concern & British Heart Foundation. I bought an Ergoflex & didn't like it - it was collected by a BHF contractor. If you go into the larger charity shops you can see piles of them for sale.

Personally I'd say this is the wrong time of year to buy if you haven't had a memory foam mattress before. They are undeniably warmer than a normal mattress & you won't get to feel what it's like to try & sleep on it on a muggy night in August.

I bought a latex mattress in the end & am very happy with it. I didn't like the feel of memory foam at all.

Hello

Just got a Emma mattress for the Urchin and she loves it.

Typically there is now a Black Friday offer on now for 35% off. So definitely worth a punt!

I’ve got a Simba in an EU Double
    Her indoors has got an Emma (I think) in a King. When we move in together hers will be the go to.
    Not a lot in it - I think mine is defo better, but they’re both very comfortable if you like a slightly firmer bed. Apparently the Simba has springs in it and it’s heavier than the Emma, might have the edge on comfort. It’s warm but not overly and I find you can get away with a lighter duvet too.

Master
    I see Amazon do their own brand and they look very impressive and I’m pretty sure they’re a very close copy of the Emma / Eve etc... but half the price.

They *dont* do 100 night tests and returns are at your own cost unless they’re faulty, and people say that can cost £50 as they’re 35-40kg heavy and impossible to re-vacuum pack.

Master
    Yes, I see Emma have 35% off, so I’ll go for that rather than the EVE.

I suppose the 200 day trial makes it a ‘no brainier’.

Is it really that easy to return them? Just because you don’t like it?

otty.com also have decent savings on now.

Hypnos for me, dunno why it needs to be in a box, your local supplier will deliver.

Did get an IKEA roll up for a guest room, which we all seem to grab a sneaky doze on now and then - really supremely comfortable, in a rock hard kinda way.

Master
    Emma Hybrid ordered.

Thanks all.

Master
    Emma mattress on the bed frame and will be tested tonight! Also have the Emma pillow too. Feels pretty comfy to sit on, and I don’t find the edges squash down when sitting on the edge, but then I’m not overweight so maybe that makes a difference? Feels firm yet superficially soft & squishy. I think it’s going to be good! Oh, and coming from a full old fashioned memory foam mattress, it’s much cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by ach5 View Post
    Emma mattress on the bed frame and will be tested tonight!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    I’ve clearly arrived ‘at a certain age’ as I didn’t think for one second about anything other than sleeping on it :-)

Master
    Blog Entries
    Just picked up an eve premium hybrid (KS)from Eve refurb store(eBay) Bargain at 300 quid for the spare room.

Master
    Oh, I didn’t update this thread, but the mattress is amazing! We got the free foam topper to make it a little softer and I sleep very well now.

Definitely money well spent.

Looks like they have a perpetual 40% off sale on the website, so don’t buy without such a discount.

Journeyman
    Currently on our second Simba matress. The first one was good for 4-5 years. Our latest superking has already started to dip within 200 days. Very unimpressed and will return.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative?

Quote Originally Posted by JGJG View Post
    Hypnos for me, dunno why it needs to be in a box, your local supplier will deliver.
    lol

Had our Emma bed about 6 months now and we haven’t found it any hotter than our last spring mattress. I wouldn’t go back now, very comfy and we both get a good nights sleep (I’m 17 stone and my wife half of that and that hasn’t been a problem either). Highly recommended!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mattress Advice (Mattress in a Box)

If you are looking for a relatively cheap mattress, buy a Silentnight pocket 800. Double is £269 from Argos, but can often get it cheaper from the sales.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2792385

It has well over one thousand 5 star reviews, of which I completely agree with, and one of them is mine.

We bought this for the kids beds and for the visitors bed. Then, my Mum slept on it, and found it so comfy she bought one.

I can honestly say I think it is just as comfortable as our £2,000 Vi-Spring.

It won’t last as long as the Vi-Spring of course, but for the money there is no better mattress out there.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by learningtofly View Post
    Yes, they do take some getting used to... it took us a good couple of weeks with our Emma but we would never go back to a traditional mattress now. So comfortable.
    Totally agree. There were some mornings early on where I thought I'd made an error but a couple of weeks later I'm a big fan!

Journeyman
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    Currently on our second Simba matress. The first one was good for 4-5 years. Our latest superking has already started to dip within 200 days. Very unimpressed and will return.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative?
    Simba have agreed to replace ours and reset the 200 night trial. All very hasle free, so far.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
    Simba have agreed to replace ours and reset the 200 night trial. All very hasle free, so far.
    If that’s a few of you with a problem there is a problem that needs sorted.

Sent from my iPhone using TZ-UK mobile app

Does anyone use the Emma Pillow I have one and now cant use anything else , even have to take it on Holiday with me......( old age never !! )
    but er indoors cant stand it way to hard for her ,bit like the Mattress i suppose takes some getting used to

Cheers

Craftsman
    Can I ask which Vispring mattress it is?

Quote Originally Posted by noTAGlove View Post
    If you are looking for a relatively cheap mattress, buy a Silentnight pocket 800. Double is £269 from Argos, but can often get it cheaper from the sales.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/2792385

It has well over one thousand 5 star reviews, of which I completely agree with, and one of them is mine.

We bought this for the kids beds and for the visitors bed. Then, my Mum slept on it, and found it so comfy she bought one.

I can honestly say I think it is just as comfortable as our £2,000 Vi-Spring.

It won’t last as long as the Vi-Spring of course, but for the money there is no better mattress out there.