closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: VAT charged on purchase in ebay Japan

Blog Entries

VAT charged on purchase in ebay Japan

Hello

Just purchased a watch box on eBay Japan, for the equivalent of 111 gbp. At the checkout, I was charged 20%VAT on this on Paypal.

Now, I understand that ebay has to charge Uk VAT on purchases abroad.

But what happens at delivery here in Uk? Hopefully will not be charged a second time.

Has anybody purchased recently, and how was VAT handled on arrival.

Thanks for advise
    Franco

Craftsman
    Blog Entries

VAT charged on purchase in ebay Japan

You should not be charged again but if you are keep the evidence that you have already paid , you would be entitled to a refund.

I have made a few recent purchases on AliExpress and they now add UK VAT at source. I didn't pay any additional charges on import and it saved me the usual courier/RM handling fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries
    If it gets delivered without extra charges, it would be better than before, with delays and handling charges by the courier

Master
    Ordered from an eBay seller two weeks ago. 20% added at initial sale and no more once it came to U.K. . Arrived in 5 days!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any further south and i would have wet feet
    EBay collect the vat on behalf of the tax man…you will not get charged again when it is delivered.

Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by village View Post
    EBay collect the vat on behalf of the tax man…you will not get charged again when it is delivered.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, sounds like an improvement then

Craftsman
    Happens to Aussies, but we get 10% GST added. It's annoying because we're allowed to import <$1000 without paying GST provided we can find a supplier who has not registered with Australian Tax Office. I think you have to register if you do more that $70k business.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wadebridge59 View Post
    Happens to Aussies, but we get 10% GST added. It's annoying because we're allowed to import <$1000 without paying GST provided we can find a supplier who has not registered with Australian Tax Office. I think you have to register if you do more that $70k business.
    They done a similar thing here in NZ starting 1 Dec 2019. Over NZ$60k a year into NZ (to non GST registered individuals) and the offshore seller needs to register and collect GST.
    The govt admitted that they were after the big 20 dealers (eg ebay, amazon, alibaba, marks and sparks) - and it was unfortunate if some smaller companies that did sell more than $60k, stopped selling to NZ, as the cost of compliance would be too much.

Great for me though, as I buy from non-registered dealers. We used to only be able to bring in $400 (and that included shipping) before being liable for GST. It's been upped to $1000 (excluding shipping).

Rob.