closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Electric cars-got to be a viable option now?

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitfitter View Post
    A mate looked at a few evs, seems many are not suitable to have a tow bar fitted, no use to him.
    Depends on the specific EV, many can have a tow bar fitted, but won’t be homologated for towing, so its use would be limited to bike racks etc.

What does he want to tow? The ID.4 is a recent EV that can tow, as can Tesla’s. There are no doubt others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    Depends on the specific EV, many can have a tow bar fitted, but won’t be homologated for towing, so its use would be limited to bike racks etc.

What does he want to tow? The ID.4 is a recent EV that can tow, as can Tesla’s. There are no doubt others.
    It will be very interesting to see what impact 'real world' towing of say a horse trailer has on the range of the vehicle, particularly for something like the Cybertruck which looks like it should be well up to the job - whenever it becomes available. Shame it looks like a mangled version of Krytens head though.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    It will be very interesting to see what impact 'real world' towing of say a horse trailer has on the range of the vehicle, particularly for something like the Cybertruck which looks like it should be well up to the job - whenever it becomes available. Shame it looks like a mangled version of Krytens head though.
    I don’t think the cybertruck will officially be launched over here in the U.K. although time will tell.

Regarding range, yes, it will take a hit. I’ve read a few articles that say plan on 50% worst case scenario, but will depend on the car and the aero of whatever you’re towing. It impacts ICE cars too of course, but with the equivalent of 500+ kWh on board it’s not as noticeable.

There is a guy on another forum I’m on who towed a trailer full of canoes with his ID.4, and his range took a marginal hit. More of a pain was trying to charge at the chargers points which are not set up for anything towing.

As more towing cars come to market, I can see they’d need to install rapid chargers at the car and caravan parking spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Tooks View Post
    I don’t think the cybertruck will officially be launched over here in the U.K. although time will tell.
    The last I heard is they were looking at releasing a smaller version over here to suit the UK market, but I have no idea if that is still the case.
    As someone who tows trailers regularly and needs 'proper' 4x4 for farm use, I am keen to see what comes to market to suit that need. I suspect it will be a while yet before something which is genuinely suitable arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
    The last I heard is they were looking at releasing a smaller version over here to suit the UK market, but I have no idea if that is still the case.
    As someone who tows trailers regularly and needs 'proper' 4x4 for farm use, I am keen to see what comes to market to suit that need. I suspect it will be a while yet before something which is genuinely suitable arrives.
    Don’t hold your breath, the model Y still hasn’t hit these shores!