closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: 2021 F1 Thread.

Hybrid View

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatters View Post
    Apparently fans paid hundreds of Euros each to park in a quagmire, walk several kilometres through mud to get to their allocated seating, sit for three to four hours in cold, wet misery, to watch two laps of a safety car procession, and then be told that absolute farce was a race. They should all get refunds.
    Yes, for sure.
    The trouble with that is, if they did, the Spa track would go bankrupt.
    So, it’s very unfortunate, but it was never going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by drmarkf View Post
    Yes, for sure.
    The trouble with that is, if they did, the Spa track would go bankrupt.
    So, it’s very unfortunate, but it was never going to happen.
    Why should it be that F1 takes all the money and the track must hold all the risk for bad weather?
    Do you know that the risk lies there, it would seem to be very unfair if it does.

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Why should it be that F1 takes all the money and the track must hold all the risk for bad weather?
    Do you know that the risk lies there, it would seem to be very unfair if it does.
    I seem to remember that the circuit has to pay to host the race, and then recoups it's money from ticket sales (and burgers / beer etc.). At least that's how it was in Bernie's day (though he probably wanted a cut of ticket sales as well). The track / race sponsors probably want a certain amount of TV coverage for their money as well, so there's probably still some risk for all involved.

Edit: Some info here: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1IU1TH
    Last edited by hogthrob; 3rd September 2021 at 11:41.

Quote Originally Posted by hogthrob View Post
    I seem to remember that the circuit has to pay to host the race, and then recoups it's money from ticket sales (and burgers / beer etc.). At least that's how it was in Bernie's day (though he probably wanted a cut of ticket sales as well). The track / race sponsors probably want a certain amount of TV coverage for their money as well, so there's probably still some risk for all involved.

Edit: Some info here: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-m...-idUSKCN1IU1TH
    For a bit more on "hosting fees" see this link.

But neither link (as far as I saw) explains where the risk of cancellation lies.
    F1 hold a contract for the TV revenue, which is not likley to be affected by rain, unless a whole slew of races are cancelled each season and TV companies cease to bid for the rights.
    Meanwhile the Host circuits pay to host it, then get gate revenues and mercantile revenue to offset that.
    And if it is all cancelled, they have to refund large proportions of that but may not get their hosting fees back, which F1 still have.
    If that is the case it seems vey unfair to me, given they have no control over weather (other than choosing not to race in Wales in February, for instance).

Quote Originally Posted by sweets View Post
    Think our friend might not have heard of insurance. However money isn’t the point. The Fans (which are perhaps the most important thing to any sport), paid between 100-500 euro to watch a race, not a parade.

Hopefully the organisers might see sense and at least offer a partial refund or discounted tickets for next year.

My biggest issue however remains the half points rubbish for managing to follow a safety car without crashing.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

So on the Netherlands and the return of the iconic if rather dangerous Zandvoort.

I have watched a few laps and although quite short looks like a decent circuit, I especially liked the banked corners, which will make the super fast.

Practice was inconclusive today, however the Ferrari looked good, Mercedes venerable, and Max rather frustrated. Mick S raised an interesting point about the amount of Orange smoke that was polluting the atmosphere, however hopefully the kids will not let them off during the actual race. It would be tragic if the race was red flagged because it becomes to dangerous for the drivers.

Should be a good one.

in other news, Kimi retires. Bottas looks like a shoe in for Alfa and George moves to Mercedes. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Bottas wasn’t joined by Mick S and we see a return of Alex A. The merry go round is starting to pick up pace.

Whoever does not know how to hit the nail on the head should be asked not to hit it at all.
    Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    So on the Netherlands and the return of the iconic if rather dangerous Zandvoort.

I have watched a few laps and although quite short looks like a decent circuit, I especially liked the banked corners, which will make the super fast.

Practice was inconclusive today, however the Ferrari looked good, Mercedes venerable, and Max rather frustrated. Mick S raised an interesting point about the amount of Orange smoke that was polluting the atmosphere, however hopefully the kids will not let them off during the actual race. It would be tragic if the race was red flagged because it becomes to dangerous for the drivers.

Should be a good one.

in other news, Kimi retires. Bottas looks like a shoe in for Alfa and George moves to Mercedes. It wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if Bottas wasn’t joined by Mick S and we see a return of Alex A. The merry go round is starting to pick up pace.
    Toto Wolff wants Nick de Vries in a Mercedes-powered Alfa, not Albon according to Racingnews365.nl' website.

Master
    Blog Entries
    Kimi has COVID and Kubica stepping in.

Quote Originally Posted by thieuster View Post
    Toto Wolff wants Nick de Vries in a Mercedes-powered Alfa, not Albon according to Racingnews365.nl' website.

Alfa is Ferrari’s second team, so no chance of that becoming another Mercedes customer engined car. I doubt very much Toto would even suggested Ito be honest.

As for NdV, I think it’s highly likely he might end up with Williams assuming he doesn’t want to defend his FE title. I hope so because he is a talent, as he demonstrated in F2 and FE. Plus it would give the Dutch a second driver - double Dutch

Friedrich Nietzsche

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyg View Post
    Alfa is Ferrari’s second team, so no chance of that becoming another Mercedes customer engined car. I doubt very much Toto would even suggested Ito be honest.

As for NdV, I think it’s highly likely he might end up with Williams assuming he doesn’t want to defend his FE title. I hope so because he is a talent, as he demonstrated in F2 and FE. Plus it would give the Dutch a second driver - double Dutch
    Wolff doesn't want Albon in the seat as long as he has connections (ties) wit RB.