closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How do I stop cats using my lawn as a toilet?

How do I stop cats using my lawn as a toilet?

I realise this may sound like a joke but this is a serious question.

We had our garden made over about a month ago and part of the change was having a new lawn put in, which is brilliant apart from one thing. The local cats seem to think that our new lawn is the place to go when you need a cr*p which means that during this nice weather, instead of sitting out on the lawn enjoying it I've just spent the best part of an hour clearing up all the cat sh*t.

All suggestions for how I keep the little buggers away gratefully received.

Master

Re: How do I stop cats using my lawn as a toilet?

Try these, my Dad got great results from them, I think he used one on each side of the lawn, I know he had lots of aggro from the local farm cats pooing and peeing on his lawn and in his roses; they worked a treat!

http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/cat-de ... QgodJhPd6g
    cheers
    Mark

I'm surprised they're using your lawn, they usually like to dig in soft earth. Unless you've seen them doing it, are you sure it's not foxes?

Eddie
    Whole chunks of my life come under the heading "it seemed like a good idea at the time".

Master

Best way to stop other cats shitting in your garden is to get one of your own. Or a dog. But their shits are even bigger.

Air rifle.... oh yeah, sadly that's illegal.

We had a dog (Bull Terrier) and it usually takes any new cats in the area a few weeks to realise anywhere on our property is strictly off limits :)

Grand Master Scottishtrunkmonkey's Avatar

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57166 :lol:

Thanks for the link Mark, one/some are pulling the wee flowers out our front garden, missus has put down rose thorns but doesn't seem to be working :?
    Respect the past, live the present, protect the future

Journeyman

here is link that might be useful but i think the the air gun would be more fun.

http://www.hintsandthings.co.uk/garden/cats.htm

What about paving it over??

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdobson45
    What about paving it over??
    Cats will occasionally shit on slabs, guess it is a mood thing :twisted: ........ :lol: ..... :roll:

Craftsman

2 ideas

First, get the shittiest old aftershave, the 1.99 a litre stuff from poundmart, mix it in a watercan but not too weak and then water the edges of your property. The cat has to cross the boundary and it makes its eyes water. Especially brut for some reason. Obviuosly tey this when its dry and hopes to be dry for a few days.

Another great one is to get some old cds, glue a lollipop stick to the printed side and stick them in the ground round the bushes. The cats see their reflection in the shiny side and assusme someone else had got there first. They have a little fight with themselves and back off and bugger off.

Simple, but they work!

I use the garden hose -full power - not on the shit but the cats when they arrive. They do not like that 8)

Air rifle. Kill the horrid thing. Done.
    F.T.F.A.

Apparently lion poo is a sure way of stopping cats coming anywhere near your garden.

When I was on holiday in South Africa our guides said many locals use it for their gardens and it works without fail.
    The only down sides are:
    1. It smells real bad (I was unlucky enough to be in the vacinity of a fresh sample)
    2. Lion poo is not the easiest to get hold of

Craftsman

Quote Originally Posted by swanbourne
    I'm surprised they're using your lawn, they usually like to dig in soft earth. Unless you've seen them doing it, are you sure it's not foxes?

Eddie
    I've the same problem and its definitely cats. I thought it was foxes too, until I saw the cat doing it.

Paving won't work, they use the monoblock at the front as well -in broad daylight. Surprised me as I thought they always used soft ground and covered it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RJS

Eddie
    I've the same problem and its definitely cats. I thought it was foxes too, until I saw the cat doing it.

Paving won't work, they use the monoblock at the front as well -in broad daylight. Surprised me as I thought they always used soft ground and covered it.
    Could these be 'crafty foxes' in your area disguising themselves as cats for pooing purposes? 8)

Anti Cat Mines ( ACM) , Electro charged Cat Wires ( 240v ) ECCW 240v or a very large hungry Rotweiller underfed and totally annoyed usually do the trick;-)

Or I think there is a gun for sale in the `For Sale` section going cheap....

Watch-Collector

Quote Originally Posted by KavKav

Eddie

Could these be 'crafty foxes' in your area disguising themselves as cats for pooing purposes? 8)
    Cat crap? Pah! Think yourself lucky; in our garden we get: fox crap, badger crap (really bad pong :shock:) , deer crap, duck crap, and our dogs have been known to have a dump there too - if they can find a space, that is. :roll:

To answer the OP's question; my gardening-fanatic pal swears by plastic lemonade bottles, half filled with water, scattered around his pride & joy. Whilst he cannot give a rational explanation for them he's adamant they work!

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Put down decent food for them; maybe they won't want to poo where they eat.
    My two use my flower beds.

Are you sure it's cats and not elves?
    Cheers
    Joe.

Master

We put citrus fruit peels on the stairs to our terrace to stop cats from coming up and eating food that's been left there (this is Finland - in the winter it's colder outside than in the fridge). Worked a-ok or something else got the cats..

Master

The advice about getting your own cat is a good one, but get a female. They are a lot more careful about burying their crap in soft ground, so you'll be able to sit on your lawn. Males are sloppy, they just crap and pee everywhere. And have it sterilized, or you'll have all the semi-wild males of the area pissing right in front of your door.
    Otherwise, getting them wet when you see them is one of the best ways. After a while they usually get the message. Or you could use pepper (powdered, thrown on the ground, not pepperspray). They apparently hate that.

Disclosure: we have two pussycats. They are very neat and keep other cats from getting close to the house, most of the time. As far as crap is concerned, we also have two donkeys, who produce two wheelbarrow loads of manure per day... :)

we also have two donkeys
    My missus won't let me get one, though she'll not be at home next week so i see a window of opportunity. Wanted a goat for the garden too, but apparently they eat everything (which was the plan) so we got a gardener instead, the goat would have been by far the cheapest option!

Blog Entries

Question

Is it just me or do others find this air rifle/pistol crap disturbing?might not care for Cats/Dogs/Birds etc but i feel no need to kill or even worse maim them for doing what animals do.

I am not some wooly veggie by the way but a red meat eater.

Martin
    I FEEL LIKE I'M DIAGONALLY PARKED IN A PARALLEL UNIVERSE

Master

I have to agree with you there Martin; I like both cats and dogs (got 2 of the latter) and if I caught any sh*t for brains shooting any of my animals then I would take great delight in taking an eye for an eye; so to speak. All jokes about shooting them aside,
    there are far more humane methods of sorting these prblems out.
    Now people? I could quite easily "cap" a few dickheads in my neighbourhood! :wink:
    cheers
    Mark

Suprised no-one's mentioned this:

Follow the cat home and shit on his lawn!

No concrete evidence that it will stop any further occurrences but it might make you feel better!! :D :D :D

regards

jeff

Master

Eddie

I think the paving would work if you time it right. If the cats are under the paving you should be fine :wink:

Seriously though (and as a cat tolerator and previous owner) the plastic bottles half filled with water do seem to work.

Cheers,

Nigel

Quote Originally Posted by us
    Apparently lion poo is a sure way of stopping cats coming anywhere near your garden.

When I was on holiday in South Africa our guides said many locals use it for their gardens and it works without fail.
    The only down sides are:
    1. It smells real bad (I was unlucky enough to be in the vacinity of a fresh sample)
    2. Lion poo is not the easiest to get hold of

dosnt this defeat the object of trying to get rid of the
    shit by physically placing more shit in the garden thats
    even smellier :?

Thanks Gents, the mystery of plastic water bottles on my neighbour's front lawn has been explained. My wife thinks I'm a genious

CD

Catapult and aniseed balls. Doesn't kill 'em but a high speed aniseed ball up a cat's backside stops any thoughts of crapping! My dad used this method to great effect.

Cheers,

Master

Quote Originally Posted by tekkno
    we also have two donkeys
    My missus won't let me get one, though she'll not be at home next week so i see a window of opportunity. Wanted a goat for the garden too, but apparently they eat everything (which was the plan) so we got a gardener instead, the goat would have been by far the cheapest option!
    First, you'll need to get two. A lone donkey gets depressed and its health decreases. They are really gregarious animals and groom each other a lot. So you need a fair surface area, plus a shelter (half-open shed) as they hate rain and wind (even though they can withstand a lot and are quite stoic, donkeys are desert animals originally); half a ton of hay per month during winter and half that during summer; and you need to carry out those wheelbarrow loads of crap.
    OTOH, they are great animals for kids, and are far more intelligent than horses. Take them for a walk now and then and you'll make new acquaintances very rapidly. Buy a saddle so grandkids, little nieces and nephews can ride on them. And the manure makes excellent compost for an veggy garden - far better than any cow or horse manure. They will also recycle a fair part of your kitchen waste (fruit and vegetable cuttings, hard old bread etc.), and landscape your terrain by creating paths and baths. And they keep watch. A braying donkey warning that strangers arrive (or friends who are known to bring tasty gifts) can be heard from far.
    Um... they can reach an age of 40, so adopting donkeys is something you do practically for life.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mart broad
    Question

Is it just me or do others find this air rifle/pistol crap disturbing?might not care for Cats/Dogs/Birds etc but i feel no need to kill or even worse maim them for doing what animals do.

I am not some wooly veggie by the way but a red meat eater.

Martin
    I agree. I don't like it either. Unfortunately there are quite a number of people who just love shooting at everything that moves. Especially if it can't shoot back.

I completely agree, though I would hope that much of it is not said in all seriousness. However there are people out there who do all of this and much worse, as a quick google search will reveal, if you have the stomach for it.

It takes a particularly warped, but also cowardly, mind to do that to a defenceless beast

Master

Why not bait a live trap with a tin of wet cat food or tuna? Catch one and, if it has a collar, have a few stern words with the owner. No collar, off to the RSPCA. Re-bait trap and repeat.

First of all, this is no joke.

Piss is one of these here:

and try to shoot it. They hate water, but they hate piss from a human/another cat/whatever even more. Understandable, imho :lol:
    Done it 2 times and no cat ever pissed/shat in my garden since then. And it doesn't hurt them, which also was important for me.

And it's soooooooooo fun :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisdobson45
    Thanks Gents, the mystery of plastic water bottles on my neighbour's front lawn has been explained. My wife thinks I'm a genious

CD
    Hmmm, better explain it to me in words of one syllable or less please! I collect my own morning piss and spread that around the alleys that surround my house (don't tell the neighbours!), maybe that works but the blighters still get through so what's the deal with these 'ere water bottles... presumably clear, how large, 500 ml, 1 ltr 2 ltr 5 ltr, how much water do you put in them, qtr, half, 3/4, top on or off, what's so annoying to cats about plastic bottles with water in them, do they think some drunk's going to lob a beer bottle at them and scarper?

cheeers... Simon

I'd suggest a pellet gun. Shoot those sneaky little bastids right in the arse. Watch how fast they scamper away. :lol:

Master

Grand Master

I am deeply appaled at the readiness exhibited in this thread to apply physical violence to the transgressing cats. This is unbecoming the high form of civilization that we have come to live in. :?

The thing to do is to phone the authorities, and tell them you have spotted suspicious Middle-Eastern-looking cats in the garden.

That should take care of the problem for good, or at least for a few years. :twisted:

Oh, and duck when they come to get the cats. Just to be on the safe side. :P :wink:
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    The thing to do is to phone the authorities, and tell them you have spotted suspicious Middle-Eastern-looking cats in the garden.

You've searched for.... let me guess.... muslim pussy? :lol:
    I'm not as think as you drunk I am.

Quote Originally Posted by mr1973
    First of all, this is no joke.

Piss is one of these here:

and try to shoot it. They hate water, but they hate piss from a human/another cat/whatever even more. Understandable, imho :lol:
    Done it 2 times and no cat ever pissed/shat in my garden since then. And it doesn't hurt them, which also was important for me.

And it's soooooooooo fun :lol:
    If the wife caught you 'loading' that thing you better have a damn good excuse ready for sticking your todger into summit other than her :lol:

PS I say the cats are cowardly for crapping on my lawn when I am asleep :D

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    I am deeply appaled at the readiness exhibited in this thread to apply physical violence to the transgressing cats. This is unbecoming the high form of civilization that we have come to live in. :?

That should take care of the problem for good, or at least for a few years. :twisted:

Oh, and duck when they come to get the cats. Just to be on the safe side. :P :wink:

As I've always said... "feck the pussy"!

:D

Master

shotgun

Nev

Quote Originally Posted by Fschwep
    Unfortunately there are quite a number of people who just love shooting at everything that moves. Especially if it can't shoot back.
    That thought has occurred to me a number of times.

Quote Originally Posted by tgr
    It takes a particularly warped, but also cowardly, mind to do that to a defenceless beast
    Quite.

so what's the deal with these 'ere water bottles... presumably clear, how large, 500 ml, 1 ltr 2 ltr 5 ltr, how much water do you put in them, qtr, half, 3/4, top on or off, what's so annoying to cats about plastic bottles with water in them
    I don't think it's too critical :D, but FWIW my pal uses clear R. Whites lemonade bottles (1.5L?), half full and left lying down. As I said before, he has no explanation for the effectiveness (perhaps it's just such a weird thing to see in a garden - from a cat's point of view!) but effective they are; his neighbours are still complaining about the cat crap in their gardens, but my pals is crap-free - and he won't tell the neighbours about his success to ensure the effect isn't dissipated by them copying him. :wink:

R
    Ignorance breeds Fear. Fear breeds Hatred. Hatred breeds Ignorance. Break the chain.

Claymore mines ?

Thanks for all the tips, serious and otherwise :lol:

Violence is out of the question I'm afraid, as is the lion crap option so I might give the water bottles a go and see what happens.

Sorry for bringing this back to the surface but the problem has gotten much worse in the last week or so. Mike, send me a litre of p1ss when you can, sooner the better :D

Anyone tried the ultrasonic gizmos with any decent results?

Craftsman

I've got the same thing happening in my garden... nice big turd right in the middle of the grass today.....

If a dog did it, the owner would have to pick it up and dispose... how come when it cat does it, it's apparently "just what cats do" ????

Cat people are all weirdos.. it's a fact... you can look it up and everything... it's true!!

I hate cats almost as much as I hate fat middle aged women who wear t-shirts with a big picture of a cat's face on them....

:lol:

Craftsman

whilst we're on the subject....

:lol:

If it's big it's not a cat. Mine have the decency to use my own flowerbeds...