closing tag is in template navbar
timefactors watches

TZ-UK Fundraiser

Thread: Tough choice - another boring rolex thread

Tough choice - another boring rolex thread

Ok, so i wanted the new OP 41mm, but prices are spiralling upwards. So i thought the most logical purchase is an almost new airking as they are still sellijg close to retail, although we know that they are not available to buy as ADs.

However, for a little bit more i could get a used Deepsea, a watch i absolutely love. And it seems to have not caught people's attention, yet... But i cant help feeling that people will one day see it as a great watch.

I am having to be careful so need to think of these on terms of future rarity and rises too. Does anyone here have any thoughts on which would be their choice?

Many thanks

I have my name down for an Air King but if you prefer the deepsea then just buy one and enjoy it.

It unlikely that you’ll lose any money on it long term even if you pay over RRP for it now. Even if you go though, does it really matter, you don’t worry about how much you’ll lose when you buy a new car?

I think you’re buying a watch for the wrong reasons. Buy the one you think you’ll enjoy wearing the most and let the rest take care of itself.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Have you considered a Milgauss?

Available around £6k, and same case/movement/bracelet as the Airking but with a different dial and handset.

Smooth bezel, 40mm and seem to be under the radar at the moment….

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by TaketheCannoli View Post
    I think you’re buying a watch for the wrong reasons. Buy the one you think you’ll enjoy wearing the most and let the rest take care of itself.
    Couldn't agree more, if you love the Deepsea buy the Deepsea and forget about future rarity and value.

Craftsman
    I would go with the Deepsea. It’s a watch you love, if you buy right and take care of it, it should always be worth the money or near enough.

just buy the watch you like the most or you will end up selling it

The OP, DS, and AK couldn’t be more different. Sounds like you just want ‘a Rolex’ in your price range rather than any specific model, so either buy the best condition Rolex of any model in your budget, or decide what you actually want in a watch beyond Rolex on the dial.

Master
    Try them all, see which you like most.

The DeepSea is a BIG and heavy watch- some people have bought one and can't get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by apm101 View Post
    Try them all, see which you like most.

The DeepSea is a BIG and heavy watch- some people have bought one and can't get on with it.
    I’ve had both and they are miles apart

The Deep sea is a brute but great if you have bigger wrists

Air king was wimpy in comparison and obvs felt small
    I don’t tend to wear 40mm or below

The watch you buy needs to be for you
    It’ll normally wipe its face if needs liquidating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a deep sea and wore it for 3 weeks recently. Couldn't wait to get my Sub back on.

Fantastic watches but not a daily imo. Others here do daily it but I think they mostly wear on a RubberB or Everest. Quite weighty.

I'd also be wary of the bulky Milgauss case on the Airking, if you've never tried one, quite different to the OP - I bought it on release and returned it the next day.

Master
    Love my DSSD even on my small wrist. It’s definitely a love it or hate it model. They are good value as they are relatively unloved but therefore possibly harder to move on quickly without a loss.

I certainly wouldn’t buy a DSSD (or any watch) on the basis that it might become more sought after at some indeterminate future date.

Craftsman
    All these watches are not going to come down in price in the near future ,we had a global disaster with covid and things went up in price ,so financially you are safe ,demand will remain high and production of Rolex will stay the same .These watches are totally different from each other try them on at a grey dealer and see what suits you best

Sent from my moto g(8) power using TZ-UK mobile app

Since you mentioned the OP41 first, I'd offer that is the one you should target. Forget about everything else and buy what you really want to look at on your wrist.

Thanks for the comments. I have owned both, but the deepsea was amazing and had to sell due to circumstances. I had the airking briefly and its a cool watch. It would also mean that i can get an almost new watch, whereas i could only afford a 2010 deepsea. However the deepsea is the one watch that made me never look at any other watches.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Have you considered a Milgauss?

Available around £6k, and same case/movement/bracelet as the Airking but with a different dial and handset.

Smooth bezel, 40mm and seem to be under the radar at the moment….
    The Milgauss is starting to warm up quite a bit now. £6k is going to be a struggle with the Z Blue trading at £8k plus for nice examples.

Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post
    The Milgauss is starting to warm up quite a bit now. £6k is going to be a struggle with the Z Blue trading at £8k plus for nice examples.
    List is £6,650. I might even be tempted at less than that!

EDIT: Blimey! WF have a 2021 Z Blue at nearly £9,500!!!
    Last edited by David_D; 29th September 2021 at 17:09.

I had a milgauss a few years ago and whilst it was nice, i just don't see them at that price. The deepsea looks good as it has maintained a steady price retention in the last few years and is close to rrp. I think the last time i bought one it was about 7000 so i can stomach the extra. The milgauss has literally doubled in that time, but i dont feel lole i am getting the same amount of watch.

Wondering why people with no interest in watches are on a watch forum?
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza View Post

Sent from my SM-G998B using TZ-UK mobile app
    Haywood has a couple around the £6-6.5 (although two are on hold, one of which is on hold for a known TZ member)

https://www.miltonaires.com/product/7328

https://www.miltonaires.com/product/9091

https://www.miltonaires.com/product/9676

Neither are the blue to be fair

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Olives View Post
    Thanks for the comments. I have owned both, but the deepsea was amazing and had to sell due to circumstances. I had the airking briefly and its a cool watch. It would also mean that i can get an almost new watch, whereas i could only afford a 2010 deepsea. However the deepsea is the one watch that made me never look at any other watches.
    Think you’ve answered that with you last sentence.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM25R View Post
    Haywood has a couple around the £6-6.5 (although two are on hold, one of which is on hold for a known TZ member)

https://www.miltonaires.com/product/7328

https://www.miltonaires.com/product/9091

https://www.miltonaires.com/product/9676

Neither are the blue to be fair
    I do wonder why he classes then as classic instead of sports on his website. In my mind they're not a sports watch (clasp to one side) but Rolex puts them in the sports section.

Quote Originally Posted by wileeeeeey View Post
    I do wonder why he classes then as classic instead of sports on his website. In my mind they're not a sports watch (clasp to one side) but Rolex puts them in the sports section.
    I don’t think Rolex have a section on their website for “Sports”.

The Milgauss, together with the obvious suspects that most refer to as “Sports” are part of the “Professional” range.

I.e. watches originally designed for a specific purpose.

Craftsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Chilli View Post
    Think you’ve answered that with you last sentence.
    Agreed. OP, I think in your head you know what you want...

Master
    However the deepsea is the one watch that made me never look at any other watches.
    I haven’t worn mine too much recently but agree that when I do, I think why do I need another watch (well Rolex, certainly) when this is so good.

Master
    Blog Entries
    ... a used Deepsea, a watch i absolutely love...
    Says it all for me. Buy the DS and enjoy it.

If the DS suits you, and they sometimes have to be given wrist time, then go for that.I have had one since 2010 ,bought new, and every time i put it on it feels so special,loads of watches have come and gone but that stayed.Like you say it will have its day,so to speak, and so much watch for the money(in my opinion) mind you I like the JC too

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by peter2704 View Post
    If the DS suits you, and they sometimes have to be given wrist time, then go for that.I have had one since 2010 ,bought new, and every time i put it on it feels so special,loads of watches have come and gone but that stayed.Like you say it will have its day,so to speak, and so much watch for the money(in my opinion) mind you I like the JC too

I completely agree , the DSSD is a hell of a watch and in my humble opinion is easily one of the best if not the best bang for your bucks Rolex sports watch on the market .The watch has to be given time and I have dismissed them in the past until I met up with Pitch years ago and saw his and I just had to have one , it’s a superb piece of engineering and I think these are well under valued at this moment in time .